US Conflict Avatars!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: US Conflict Avatars!
Warrior
Member # 1856
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Sir Psycho Custer:

VWM gets South Korea, a fascist state propped up by the US to prevent communists from dominating the Peninsula. During the course of the war, South Korea was left in ruins and the US came very close to a nuclear war.
IMAGE(ks-map01.gif)

Well! I say. Propped up? Do the names Samsung, LG, Hyundi, and Daewoo mean nothing to you? Humph! I hapen to be stationed in korea! I hev learned alot about korea. and yes it DOES stink *ack*. Especially when its hot and you are by the rice patties *chokes*.

ooh! 50th post!

[ Tuesday, May 25, 2004 03:08: Message edited by: CyberWolf ]

--------------------
Please visit the RP Paridise. rgf-network!

The chance of someone looking at you is directly proportonal to the stupidity of your act.

The idea is not to give your life for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #51
In 1950, those companies were not so large. However, the Korean economy was grown in such a way as to keep a small number of very large countries directly linked to the military regime.

On the surface at least, the closest parallel is the economics carried out by Hjalmar Schact and the Nazi regime's association with companies such as Volkswagen and IG Farben.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #52
I have to ask, do I? Very well. Assign me one of our poor little victims.

Thanks for toning it down this time, by the way.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #53
I wonder what country I would be?

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 78% 44% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #54
The Indonesian avatar reports about sweatshops - they are indeed a focal point.
... 60-80 working hours, extremely oppressive conditions, neither safety at the workplace nor accident insurances - all for less than a living wage. Did you know, that
- Nike
- Adidas
- GAP
- Esprit
- H & M
- Hilfinger
- Levi Strauss
- Triumph
- Mattel
produce their expensive label fashion very cheap in sweatshops?
BOYCOTT them!
Probably sweatshops will exist as long as dummies buy labels. However there are trade-unions in Indonesia and Mexico (waves to TGM), the workers begin to organize themselves and a certain solidarity is available world-wide. Support the Clean Clothing Campaign or similar organizations.

IMAGE(frown000.gif) What concerns me much more:
According to a serious warning from the World Bank, environmental pollution in Indonesia has achieved a catastrophic extent and will have alarming consequences for population and nature.
More than 90% of all industrial and household garbage in Indonesia is unloaded without control, and poisonous materials infiltrate the groundwater. Rivers and channels are dirty and full with waste and faeces, which arrive partially in the drinking water.

Hundredthousands of Indonesians suffer from asthma because of the annual forest fires and the usual practice of waste incineration. Heavy health damage at brain, lung and digesting apparatus threaten a third of all Indonesian children. In addition Indonesia has the highest typhoid fever rate in Asia and is often afflicted by epidemic diseases due to contaminated drinking water.

In the industrial areas of Sumatra and Java acid rain destroys always larger parts of the harvest. Poison garbage from the mining industry is frequently unloaded in rivers and in the sea, where it threatens the underwater world. 40% of all coral reefs of the country are already heavily damaged in consequence of overfishing and pollution.

The environmental pollution in Indonesia is neglected so much that it impairs the health and the life of all inhabitants. A change is not in view, since no political alert exists to exert a better environmental management.

Greenpeace estimates that 3.8 million hectares of forest are destroyed each year. The timber mafia roots out on a large scale. 80% of Indonesia's tropical wood export originates from illegal felling.
In ten years, orangutans will be exterminated.

The government is clearly overtaxed.

I CRY!

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #55
Aiee, I die!

No more requests for a bit, I'll get back to all of you with avatars, I promise. I might have to start using old ones.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #56
Huh? I would have thought there were a lot more... [/anti-american rant] IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #57
Remember, of course, that it doesn't have to be America in a bad light. I, for instance, used the War of 1812 in my incarnation of it- the US probably wasn't right, but they weren't egregious devil armies.

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Emerald Mountain
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #58
Was it two or three years ago when South Korea released 500 or so political prisoners? Well, among other things, the latest Amnesty report says:

"At least 63 trade unionists were arrested. All were awaiting trial at the end of the year. Six trade union leaders committed suicide to highlight the precarious situation of Korean workers."

Not good.

EDIT: I've now read the earlier posts. Go Finland! IMAGE(smile002.gif)

No, it's actually a bit funny how proud we Finns still are about our "winter war". It's rarely mentioned that we put Russians into concentration camps and treated them really badly, at first. We sent some Jews and commies (who were outlawed) to Nazi Germany, although most official papers about that were destroyed. Nazism and the "superiority" of Finns were part of the official propaganda.

[ Wednesday, May 26, 2004 03:43: Message edited by: Milu ]
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #59
Well, I hate to say this, but... *takes the plunge* how is boycotting sweat shops a good thing? I mean, think about it. They're not being payed much, but they're at least getting something, which is better than the alternative: nothing. Maybe a large boycott could convince the Western businesses to clean up their act. Maybe it would force them to close down the sweat shops entirely, turning that something into nothing once more. Hey, I don't like the conditions and the pay any more than you do. I just think that there must be a better solution than letting those children and their families starve to death because our scruples will not allow them even a small part of what they need. Working 24/7 for peanuts is better than sitting around 24/7 for nothing.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #60
They're not going to close down. Improving the pay and working conditions of overseas workers would still be cheaper than using domestic labour. In fact, better conditions will mean more jobs - if Nike can't make people work 16-hour days any more, it'll have to pay twice as many people to work 8-hour days.

--------------------
I'd be tender, I'd be gentle
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
I'd be friends with the sparrows
And the boy who shoots the arrows,
If I only had a heart.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #61
Thank you Thuryl, exactly.

I believe that public pressure does cause something. Global companies react on pressure of environmental and consumer federations.
Reebok for example adopted a list of human rights production standards. They take the trouble to appear politically correct because they do not want to expel their customers.
But the customers have to complain first.

IMAGE(smile002.gif) and David, check your PM for an old and dusty French fry

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #62
Sir David: Surely you can't argue that foreign laborers are less human than Americans and thus deserve lower wages. If a man can work better, he deserves to make more, period. Starving people for being born into the wrong country is as depraved and sickening as enslaving them for being born the wrong color.

Here's a simple solution: make a law setting a minimum wage and standard tax code for all businesses that wish to commit trade within the US and EU. No more companies being big, patriotic citizens of Bermuda, and no more companies getting away with paying third-world laborers a hundredth of what first-world laborers make just because local industry cannot compete with them. I'm sure THAT would cause businesses to shut down and contract, but so goddamn what? I'm sure the Holocaust was one of the pillars the German economic boom was built on, but no one's singing hosannas on it now, are they?

[ Thursday, May 27, 2004 13:44: Message edited by: Super Custer Wars Alpha ]

--------------------
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #63
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

Well, I hate to say this, but... *takes the plunge* how is boycotting sweat shops a good thing? I mean, think about it. They're not being payed much, but they're at least getting something, which is better than the alternative: nothing. Maybe a large boycott could convince the Western businesses to clean up their act. Maybe it would force them to close down the sweat shops entirely, turning that something into nothing once more. Hey, I don't like the conditions and the pay any more than you do. I just think that there must be a better solution than letting those children and their families starve to death because our scruples will not allow them even a small part of what they need. Working 24/7 for peanuts is better than sitting around 24/7 for nothing.
I like this assumption that if multinational corporations were not providing jobs in a given 3rd world nation, then there would be "nothing" as an alternative. These are places where humans have existed for millennia. What's happening is that Western corporatism is displacing native ways of life, essentially forcing people to work in the new system. That's assuming that they don't live in a "free zone," which is a bitterly ironic term for -- essentially -- slave plantations in the developing world.

"Developing countries" itself is a misnomer. These nations aren't developing, and if the WTO and IMF have their way, they never will.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #64
A recommendation for dealing with the problem is to not only complain to the corporations who are there, but also support foreign industry in what would otherwise be developing countries. These countries deserve industrialization, they don't deserve being beaten down by men in pinstripes forcing a parodized version on them and calling it fair on the basisc that they'll unionize in approximately one-megabajillion years.

Saying "We need to go through bad times in order for the Asian countries to improve" is like the slow-and-steady approach that the South took to racism ever since the reconstruction. Put bluntly, it isn't worth shit. Supporting Globalism, as far as I can see, is circular logic- corporate manifest-destiny is good because it hurts people but eventually leads to more globalization is circle logic.

(But isn't everything? Oh, right. Sorry for offending.)

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Emerald Mountain
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #65
Are we outta avatars? I didn't get one

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #66
To be honest, we are, unless you want ones that people might've gotten in USCA before.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #67
Can't we start using former Soviet republics? I don't think we've done those before, and there are so many of them.

--------------------
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
If I only had a heart.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #68
Or we could try European colonies. Chinese dynasties. Egyptian Pharaohs even.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #69
Those aren't even remotely America's fault. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

--------------------
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
If I only had a heart.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #70
Actually, I have a new theory. It's called: Everything Was America's Fault, Except When It Was The Cows!

Basically global warming, cruelty to kittens and all sorts of other stuff was America's fault. Except when it was the cows. And even they assisted in global warming through excess flatulence.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #71
quote:
Originally written by Super Custer Wars Alpha:

To be honest, we are, unless you want ones that people might've gotten in USCA before.
What is USCA?
Why have US conflict countries as North Corea, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, China, Afghanistan, Russia, Bosnia, Ex-Yugoslavia, Colombia, Uganda, Sudan not been elected for avatars?

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #72
USCA = US Conflict Avatars

And I assume those countries have been used previously.

[ Sunday, May 30, 2004 16:59: Message edited by: premonition ]

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #73
:confused: There was already the same topic? And why could the countries not be distributed twice?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #74
You can read an old incarnation of this topic in the General Archive, page 29. I believe it started over at Desperance (because Djur, who ran it last time, linked to a Desp page that is now deceased) and then migrated here, although I don't know that.

I do like the idea of making Alec, under the name "General Custer," into the Sioux Nation. That was rather clever of Djur.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages