Howard Dean gone mad?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Howard Dean gone mad?
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #0
Remember when Dean was running and in one of his speeches he went "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOUUU!!!!!!!!" What the heck was he doing?? Was he on drugs or something? :confused: :confused:

--------------------
Espresso hasn't been invented yet. That stinks.

Xian Skull-
Avernum 3
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #1
Possibly... probably just got a bit too enthused about himself though. I saw the clip on the news when it happened (must have been three months ago, why bring it up now?), he probably went for some mad war cry to bring a cheer from the crowd, instead ending up with a dieing horse impression and everyone laughing at him. It is also blamed for him losing the presedential contender spot.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
An explanation: The man was giving a speech to the crowd, and a very vigirous one at that. Unfortunately, when giving those kinds of speeches, you can't really hear yourself, so Dean cried out 'yeah' slightly louder than normal to make sure that he was actually being heard on the other side. It killed him politically.

A tell-tale story of our times, and a damned fishy coincidence, all things told.

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Dean's "scream" speech was exaggerated. The reason that it sounded so strange was that the microphone on him filtered out the crowd noise. If you listen to unfiltered footage, you can barely hear him over the crowd.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
About gestures that may or may not kill you politically... did anyone notice Rummy glancing at his watch yesterday? IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #5
It's exactly as Kel said. If you listen to footage recorded in the crowd, the noise was deafening. It was nearly impossible to hear Dean, even when he did scream. He was reacting to the energy of the crowd and stimulating it. If you actually listen to the footage without having your head stuck up your ass, the crowd only cheered louder after "the scream."
A few weeks later, ABC News basically ran a segment saying "whoops, it wasn't nearly as weird as we said, sorry for playing it into the ground." And that was the end of that story, after they basically did a hatchet job on a good man.
This all reflects what they did to Al Gore in 2000. Numerous times ("inventing the internet," Love Story, Love Canal, James Lee Witt, &c.) the media absolutely pounced on the idea that GORE LIES AGAIN. And then a few weeks later, they say "whoops, he didn't say he created the Internet" or "oopsy, he actually did start the first hearing on Love Canal" or "hey, wait, he actually did quote the newspaper correctly about Love Story being based on him and Tipper." But the meme was already out, and the retractions got much less coverage than the original OMG AL IS A LIAR folderol.

It's sickening. At the same time, Bush was taking credit for legislation that he had vetoed.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #6
The Republicans picked their pony, and they picked Kerry, too. The media, mostly republican-biased, went all-out to say Dean was 'angry' and 'unelectable', and nothing bad to say about Kerry or Edwards. The Republicans didn't want to run against Dean, so they decided they didn't have to.
Control the media and you control the democratic process.

Me, I'm all for congratulating the GOP on having won their 72-year battle with democracy and moving to Sweden.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #7
Saying "yeah" loudly aside, I believe Kerry has a better chance against Bush than Dean would've. I doubt I'll vote for either one of them (yaythrowingawayvotesonthirdpartycandidates!), but Kerry appeals more to the middle-ground than Dean, in my humble, rather uneducated (haven't read the paper in probably two or three months) opinion. IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
I was definitely a Dean supporter, and I thought the media's portrayal of his "flubs" was grossly sensationalistic. The statement that we aren't safer now after having started the Iraq War was taken as a factually inaccurate verbal mistake, and as evidence of his unfitness for the presidency. I think it's a legitimate viewpoint. It may or may not be wrong, but it's not absurd.

I don't really like Kerry. He's too bland. He reminds me too much of the descriptions I've heard of Dukakis (the '88 Dem nominee, for anyone who doesn't know). Dean reminded me a lot of old footage of Truman, or even FDR, to some extent. He excited people who weren't normally a part of the voting population, and he might've changed politics, if not dramatically, then at least a little.

Oh well. I decided that this election is an important one. Bush has started two wars, alienated our old allies, and lowered further the intellectual requirements of being president, as well as appointing people whom I find loathsome to his Cabinet. I want the vote total to be as high against him as possible, so I'll vote for his main adversary.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #9
I personally liked Dean myself.

--------------------
Espresso hasn't been invented yet. That stinks.

Xian Skull-
Avernum 3
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #10
Alien question: What is the difference between Dean and Kerry?

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #11
Politically, not much. Dean just had a more "progressive" message, and he ran as an anti-war candidate. He renounced in one way or another most of his really different views, like being strongly against the Iraq war or being in favor of single-payer health care.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #12
They are both democrats? Not wise tactics.
Are the medias dismantling Kelly too?

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #13
They are both democrats, but they were only competing in the Democratic primaries, which took place over the last few months. Kerry will go on to compete with Bush as the Democratic candidate in the general election this November.

--------------------
who?
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #14
The way the elections work here is that two big parties -- who are conventionally center-left (Dem) and center-right (Rep), but who have recently become center-right (Dem) and reactionary (Rep) -- each field a candidate for the Presidency. The two-party system is well-entrenched, and the election of 1912 set a big precedent: intra-partisan coherency. Roosevelt ran as a Republican and Taft also as a Republican, and the Democrats, although carrying only about 40% against the combined R. total of 55%-ish, won with Wilson.
Ever since then, fear of splitting the vote has usually kept people with similar party allegiance from running at the same time.

The way it goes on years where the incumbent seeks re-election is that the opposition party has a convention based on election primaries, in which registered members of the opposition party in each state vote for whichever candidate they want to see run for President. Due to the US electoral system, we do not directly elect Presidents, but rather, each state elects a partisan electoral college, which gives 100% of the state's electoral votes to the party elected there.
It is the electoral votes, not the popular votes, which determine the President. In several infamous cases, the President has been elected in spite of the popular vote being in favor of the other person. (In two cases, 2000 included, the President-elect won neither the electoral nor the popular vote.)
So winning a state with 99% of the vote does the same as getting you that state with 51% of the vote, which means that the opposition party has to pick a candidate who will please a plurality in each state, not one who will be the most popular with the most people.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
Now that I think about it, we've never really had a good center-left party in the US. Until recently, the Democrats were clogged with a bunch of Southern conservatives.

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #16
I was going to vote for someone other than Bush anyway, but a more inspiring choice would have been nice.

Moving to Sweden doesn't sound a half bad idea, though.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #17
Boy, when I heard him do that I laughed for a long time. I guess fate was just cruel to him. I personally think its a conspiracy to get Kerry to lose and then we'll all be surprised by another canidate that no one could predict would run, like Hillary Clinton.

I think one guy controls the elections anyway. Or maybe several. It might all be an act, this whole republic of ours.

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #18
This has only dawned on you now?

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #19
That was certainly the principle on which the American electoral system was originally established, GJ.

There are a few states where there's a degree of proportional representation, so that both candidates might get electoral college votes there. I think Maine is one, but the vagaries of the process mean it has still never actually done it.

Also, states don't technically have to ballot their citizens (and until 1860, South Carolian didn't.) Furthermore, those in the electoral college can in theory vote for someone other than the one they are pledged to. Some states have legislation to stop this, but it can be argued that those laws are unconstitutional. Mostly when this happens it's to protest some anachronism of the electoral system.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #20
quote:
Originally posted by Custerbly Numb:
Roosevelt ran as a Republican and Taft also as a Republican, and the Democrats, although carrying only about 40% against the combined R. total of 55%-ish, won with Wilson.
Well, technically Roosevelt ran as a Progressive, but only because Taft beat him to the Republican nomination. The two major parties don't allow more than one nominee, and Teddy tried to edge out Taft despite the fact that Taft was the incumbent.

--------------------
who?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #21
I didn't just realize that.

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #22
I have to shake my head in wonder that I live in a country whose politics inspire the throwing of greasy garlic breadsticks that will ruin your shirt, should they hit it.

Hmm, maybe they should throw garlic breadsticks at the political conventions. Please don't tell me if they already do. God knows I'm disillusioned enough as it is.

[ Monday, May 10, 2004 00:52: Message edited by: dareva ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
No, they skipped the breadsticks part and moved straight to rioting and police brutality in the streets (see the 1968 Democratic convention).

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #24
True. Goes to show things always could be worse.

Pages