Howard Dean gone mad?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Howard Dean gone mad?
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by wz. arsics:

quote:
Originally posted by Custerbly Numb:
Roosevelt ran as a Republican and Taft also as a Republican, and the Democrats, although carrying only about 40% against the combined R. total of 55%-ish, won with Wilson.
Well, technically Roosevelt ran as a Progressive, but only because Taft beat him to the Republican nomination. The two major parties don't allow more than one nominee, and Teddy tried to edge out Taft despite the fact that Taft was the incumbent.

Taft didn't beat him to it; Taft is a conservative dynasty, and W.H. Taft in particular had complete control of the Republican party machinery. He used it to shut out Roosevelt from the convention. He had a decent chance to win the convention regardless -- controlling the party machinery gives you advantages beyond outright shutting the other guy down.
Roosevelt did indeed run as a Progressive -- in some areas. In quite a few, he and not Taft was the Republican on the ticket; in others, I do believe the ambiguity was so great that you voted for Taft or Roosevelt, not the Republican candidate.

Which means that the popular view of Roosevelt as a failed third-party candidate just isn't true; the Progressives could be called legitimist Republicans, and given the fact that I don't think they elected congressmen or non-local officials as a party, I don't think they really qualify as one.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
Where the heck do you get your information? That makes sense with everything that I've heard about the election, but it isn't in any history book I've ever read...

EDIT: I've also heard that TR decided to run fairly late in the election process, and that was part of what screwed him over with the nomination.

[ Tuesday, May 11, 2004 10:55: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #27
I do recall reading that TR got shut out of the election proceedings pretty clearly -- from a school history book, mind, and when they bother mentioning corruption it's usually very obvious to serious study.

I'm not sure when he decided to throw his hat in, but election proceedings were much more informal than they are nowadays -- you'd pretty much have to put your foot down on not running to avoid someone naming you at the caucus/convention/whatever. TR had been openly disapproving of Taft's presidency since the first year, and was openly angry with the direction he had taken the Republican party as early as 1910-about.
1912 was a seriously odd election because, to a degree, Roosevelt was an incumbent -- people who voted for Taft tended to be voting for partisan achievements more than the man. There was absolutely nothing about Taft that most people liked which Roosevelt didn't start or have a dominant hand in.

Of course, you can't vote for Taft out of indignance and Roosevelt by conviction at the same time, so Wilson ended up getting a winning plurality.

Mind you, a lot of conservative historians would prefer to think of TR as a sort of third-party renegade -- he was far more generally labor-progressive than either of his opponents, and whilst Taft did control the Republican party machinery, conservative historians have a love affair with historical consistency and do not like the idea that one of the US's most liberal and anti-machine non-accidental presidents rose from the ranks of the GOP.
(If the words 'ranting, cynical automatic-iconoclasm' seem to apply to my perspective on things, it'd probably be best to read Zinn and realize that I'm really not THAT bad. IMAGE(tongue01.gif) )

[ Tuesday, May 11, 2004 12:45: Message edited by: Custer's Revenge ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.

Pages