What movies made a big impression on you?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What movies made a big impression on you?
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #0
What movies made the biggest impression on you?
Me: American History X, The green mile, freedom song... Thats the few I can remember right now.

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #1
The Manchurian Candidate; Casablanca; The Yellow Submarine; Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; Dead Man Walking; The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly; Glory; Doctor Zhivago; and a few others I can't quite remember at the moment.

In a somewhat different vein, while I can't call the following movies good, exactly, they've still managed to make quite the impression: The Hitcher; Basket Case I, II, and III; Jungle Holocaust; Maniac; and The Great Alligator.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #2
Right, when I meant impression, I meant the kind of impression you get when you see the charred body of a child, or blown out homes on CNN.

Maybe I should have written that down too :rolleyes: IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

Sorry if my english is choppy and all, but im really tired.

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
If you mean movies that get a reaction from sheer amount of carnage, the list is almost endless, from the horror movies with gory consumption by monster to war flicks with yards of steaming guts gleefully displayed before the viewer.

Apocalypse Now and The Quiet American both have the carnage (the former much more than the latter) with a message attached, somewhat like the news. I recommend the latter and say that you should watch the former. It's not enjoyable, precisely, but it's definitely memorable.

?Alorael, who would finally like to posit that there is nothing as horrifying as the news. Movies are made about the (more or less) real past and fictional versions of any time. The news is the horrible present in all its lack of glory.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #4
quote:
Originally posted by Alorael:
?Alorael, who would finally like to posit that there is nothing as horrifying as the news. Movies are made about the (more or less) real past and fictional versions of any time. The news is the horrible present in all its lack of glory.
Speaking of the news ? Wag the Dog is about manipulation of the news, and seems applicable to modern times. Movies that affected me: I can't really think of many off the top of my head. The Third Man, definitely. Modern Times and City Lights. Midnight Cowboy. Dog Day Afternoon. The Godfather. Pulp Fiction, of course.

--------------------
who?
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Black Griffon aka. StD:

[QB]Right, when I meant impression, I meant the kind of impression you get when you see the charred body of a child, or blown out homes on CNN.QB]
Schindler's List

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #6
Biggest one to date: To End All Wars. I am not a crying type, and I cried at the crucifixion scene.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Shock Trooper
Member # 136
Profile Homepage #7
Leolo. I saw it once and it shocked me for years.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #8
One of the most recent must be the Pianist. It seemed somehow more realistic than Schindler's List.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #9
Probably any movie based on actual events, such as Pearl Harbor or Titanic. It's one thing to read about them, it's another to disregard the love story attached to the movies, and get a glimpse of what a world war or a sinking ship is like.

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #10
All Quiet on the Western Front and Shawshank Redemption very obviously belong on this list and I'd also include LA Confidential.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #11
I'd agree with LA Confidential. Copenhagen also made a big impression on me.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #12
"National Velvet" - I cried when my mom made me leave the theater because I didn't want to leave Elizabeth Taylor.

"Shane" - one of the best western movies ever, about character and fate.

"M" - In German with English subtitles, starring Peter Lorre as a serial killer of little girls whom the police can't catch, so they pressure the Hamburg mob to help. (A true story brought to film)

"Rashomon" - Japanese with subtitles. Medieval rape and robbery, seen from three points of view.

"Marty" - About family and peer pressure, and being true to oneself.

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #13
Certainly The Pianist, that really struck a chord with me (no pun intended, honest!).

For some inexplicable reason, Big Fish left me with quite an impression. I think I'm the only one in the world who thought that movie was anything better than relatively decent.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #14
I don't watch alot movies. Do Warcraft III cinematics count as movies? IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

The Lord of The Rings is defenitely the best movie I ever saw.

[ Wednesday, April 21, 2004 10:20: Message edited by: Mind ]

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #15
But we are talking about movies that left you with stunned silence and tears, or something like that. Of course, if LotR left you with that (or something like that), it would count.

War Craft movies, I dunno, maaaaaaybe...

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #16
I was just kiddin' about the Warcraft III movies, of course.
Although the finale indeed had a very big impression on me, after I played the whole game and knew all about Arthas' life?

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #17
Return of the King had an effect on me, but not as much as the book does.

If the Pianist is the one about the mute woman who buys a piano for sex, I hated it.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
BoA BetterEditor for MacOS X
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Apprentice
Member # 4169
Profile Homepage #18
What Dreams May Come made my cry.
Happy Gilmore made me laugh.
Bicentennial Man filled me with a horrible rage, causing me to tear out clumps of my own hair because it sucked and just wouldn't end.

Okay, I didn't really tear out my own hair. But the rest is true.

--------------------
-- Zell_1388
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #19
Argh Khoth, you made me laugh my stomach out! Yes, the story is so very tragic, but the extreme contrast between The Pianist and Khoths example... Oh man...

Khoth press enter site and watch the flash movie, you will see what I mean.

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #20
Then there's always The Piano Teacher (La Pianiste) . . . .

[ Wednesday, April 21, 2004 12:18: Message edited by: Boots ]

--------------------
Winter comes: game over -- he's in the driveway removing snow with a flame-thrower.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #21
Ah. A little ferreting on IMDb reveals that I was thinking of the Piano.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
BoA BetterEditor for MacOS X
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #22
Who exactly are you talking about?

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #23
Lugubrious Campion flick

Hollywood's favorite statuatory rapist makes himself safe for the drawing room

Something else entirely

[ Wednesday, April 21, 2004 12:17: Message edited by: Boots ]

--------------------
Winter comes: game over -- he's in the driveway removing snow with a flame-thrower.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #24
Lots o' shooting and stuff... hmm... Leon or Ronin. Both involve shooting lots of stuff.

Violent films don't have a huge effect on me. They're not real. Horror movies I just laugh at. I mean, come on! Some of them are just so ridiculous. Films like Predator, Mimic and Komodo had no practical sense of realism.

I prefer a movie with an elegance to it. Something which not only leaves a mark but makes you think that whoever wrote it actually put some concious thought into it.

Still got to respect the original The Italian Job. Double diamond, top qual.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!