Dungeons and Dragons?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Dungeons and Dragons?
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #0
Has anybody here ever actually played this game... thingie? Was it any good?

I think most of us recognize that Dungeons and Dragons is practically the very first fantasy game on the market, and that we spiderweb-ites owe much to its existence, just as it owes its existence to the works of early fantasy writers, just as those works owe their existence to the myths of yore, so on and so forth to the beginning of time.

Anyway, I have heard so much praise for it, and I've heard amazing tales of adventure told about sessions of it. Are such tales the norm, or are they a rarity? Have I been hearing of the best of the best? If the potential for enjoyment is high, I may consider finding some way to start a session of it.

--------------------
Check out the DIARY, why doncha? It won't bite. Probably.

"We were heart companions,
We were companions in the woods,
We were fellows of the same bed,
Where we used to sleep the balmy sleep.
After mortal battles abroad,
In countries many and far distant,
Together we used to practice, and go
Through each forest, learning with Scathach".
Warrior
Member # 4230
Profile #1
I play a variety of those pencil and paper games. Basic, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition of Dungeons and Dragons as well as GURPS (Generic Universal Role Playing System) and a few others including one of my own creation.

Having said that I must say that the stories you have heard are probably the exception, but hardly very rare. It is one of the most entertaining games to play with a group of friends and will give you hours upon hours of good fun as well as helping you improve your social, problem solving, economic, and critical thinking skills. It is useful for everything from a random game played at a party to amuse some guests to a full fledged campaign that lasts, litteraly, years.

However, it is not perfect, the quality of the game does not rely upon the company so much as it does upon the GM and the Players. If you have a bag GM or a bad player then it can be very uncomfortable to play and not any fun at all.

Having said that I would like to ask something. Has anyone here ever writen a scenario based upon an old, or new, D&D module? I have a few old Ravenloft modules I was consicering making into scenarios but I was hoping to get some advice on how to do certain things.

--------------------
If Magic is your crutch, cast it off and walk without.
Diablo 1 Manual

Truth is good manners, manners are a fiction.
Mark Twain
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #2
Heard of it? Yes. Know what the FF it's about? No. What's the whole point of it? The closest I got to fantasy gaming off of my pc was my seven decks (damn kickass if I do say so myself. And I do) of Magic: The Gathering. Unfortunately no-one round here plays.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #3
I was born a few years too late to experience the age of D&D, but I must admit I've always been curious.

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #4
Check this link:
http://www.exposingsatanism.org/dnd.htm
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #5
Funniest website ever. I also have heard of D&D and was curious. It sounds to me like its not very good, but im hardly qualified to give an opinion. Is it playable over the internet? If so ill give it a go.

--------------------
BOAC, youll know if you click...
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #6
D&D is quite amazing. I have played it since it first came out in little boxed sets of rule books and dice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #7
D&D is a great game. Some of those stories are rare. I alway get together with my buds and play on fridays untill we all pass out from to much mountain dew. I think its way fun.

I also play magic. I've have yet to win a compitition but I keep playing. I am feared by my freinds with my elf deck. Yah!

After saying that, I need a life.

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
There are places you can play D&D online, but I don't think it's likely to work well. The game was designed to be played in person, and I can't imagine trying to work out the mechanics without actually being able to speak and sit down together.

?Alorael, who would say that it's easy to dislike D&D when you're just getting started, especially if you have a bad person running the game. Once you get past that initial phase it can be a lot of fun.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #9
I'm not big into actual D&D, though I am a heavy Neverwinter Nights addict, which is basically 3rd Edition D&D computerized. I play mostly single player, as my few multiplayer experiences involved a person with a more Diablo 2 mindset...

I have played normal D&D once... 'didn't get anywhere, saw a lot of mistakes on my part, and it is next to impossible to do with only 3 people... Ahem... it was fun and interesting though. The D&D literature is very well written I think, and can be very in-depth... sometimes too indepth (See Vile Darkness).

That said, only try it if you have friends already into it and who know what they're doing. Figuring it out on your own would quickly sour you to the game I believe.

---Your 10d12 maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Sanity is a relative concept. And like most my relatives, I rarely see it.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #10
I personally love Pen and Paper RPGs. Unforunately I dont know many other people who do (people good at it anyway.)

But, for all you people who love Pen and Papers take my words of advice, "Never, ever, throw a rock at it."
*chuckles*

--------------------
"You know a book is good, when it makes you feel like crying or reaching into its fictional realm and strangling one of the characters."
Apprentice
Member # 1073
Profile Homepage #11
I used to play the pencil and paper D&D when I was younger... it totally depends on the DM/GM and the other players to make it fun... the great thing about it is that you an be flexible and don't need to follow a straight path, but instead go with the flow, something you can't do with video games
as for the stories, they can be good, you just need to play with people with a sense of humor and creativity... and something that many super geeks lack, which is are some general social graces (hey, no flaming me!)
oh yea.. and I won my first Magic tournament a few weeks ago! I am such a dork...

--------------------
Theory of flight?! I'll teach you the theory of fist!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #12
Anyone ever play Battle Tech or Mech Warroir? The original board and paper games. I remember those days. I still think my brothers were cheapskates. They total killed me off. (They say it was payback for desamating thier dropship. I think they were just scared of me. But anywho, they ganged up and I was no match for thier power and lost everything. It was a bloody day and I died but I made them pay in regiments.)

The great thing about these kinda games is that you can forget yourself and just play the game, you become that game in a sense. I don't know, maybe its just me.

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #13
I loved to play them as a kid, until the advent of computer games, that it.
I also had a brief stint with Magic: The Gathering until my friends lost interest.
Using Coldstone, I'm 70% completed making graphics for a variant of Magic crossed with Monopoly, but my code guy lost interest IMAGE(frown000.gif)

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #14
[QUOTE] [a variant of Magic crossed with Monopoly]

Wow, if your friend can't pay the cost of a hotel, you can just bow them away with a fireball or have an Ashen Firebeast eat them for only the cost of one red mana. No need to go to jail anymore. I like this game.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #15
Not only have I heard of and played it, I know (knew--haven't had contact in many, many years) Gary Gygax, Steve Jackson, and almost any other "personage" you can name from the Golden Years of PNP. (Nothing quite like dropping names no one here has ever heard of, huh? IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) ) I worked for a popular provider of PNP gmes back in my misspent youth.

As others have pointed out, it depends entirely on the DM and other players just how entertaining it can be. But when it's good, it's oh so good. IMAGE(smile000.gif)

Check out the Neverwinter Nights demo if you want a feel for how D&D plays on a computer. I find PNP better (when it's good), but NWN more consistently, um, adequate. IMAGE(smile000.gif)

-spyderbytes

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 4191
Profile #16
Would it be possible to play a game of D&D over AIM? I've always wanted to give it a go, but I have maybe 2 friends who would play as well.

--------------------
Beebop, who has a great chuckle at Alorael's changing signature only prefers to be witty in his own, and occasionally moronic, way.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #17
Yes, as well as just about any other P&P.

To be frank, I've never liked D&D much; it seems too rulesy, and encourages some bad RP habits.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by spyderbytes:

Not only have I heard of and played it, I know (knew--haven't had contact in many, many years) Gary Gygax, Steve Jackson, and almost any other "personage" you can name from the Golden Years of PNP. (Nothing quite like dropping names no one here has ever heard of, huh? IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) ) I worked for a popular provider of PNP gmes back in my misspent youth.

Never heard of Steve Jackson? GURPS and Illuminati fetish and all that good stuff? Damn, you must think everyone here is thirteen.

Alec: what bad habits? It's only as rulesy as you make it, and it's no more rulesy than the average RPG. The DM should take care of most of the technical crap for you.

[ Monday, April 12, 2004 21:18: Message edited by: Maaya ]

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
You *knew* Gary Gygax? First reaction: wow, that's pretty cool. Second reaction: holy ****, I am a huge nerd for knowing who that is.

Do the D&D geeks out there have a favorite setting? I happen to like Dragonlance, myself. I tried to read the Forgotten Realms books, but I couldn't get into them. Tried to play Baldur's Gate and couldn't get into it. Read I, Strahd of Ravenloft, loved it, and then realized that there basically is nothing else to the Ravenloft setting as far as novels go and became sad.

Yeah, that's my D&D experience for you. Well, I happened to have a positively ancient copy of the Basic rules lying around when I was little and I read them once, but that's about it.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #20
Heh. Gary Gygax was on Futurama once.

"So... Who wants to play Dungeons and Dragons for the rest of eternity?"

"Ok."

"I'm a tenth level Vice President."

--------------------
Check out the DIARY, why doncha? It won't bite. Probably.

"We were heart companions,
We were companions in the woods,
We were fellows of the same bed,
Where we used to sleep the balmy sleep.
After mortal battles abroad,
In countries many and far distant,
Together we used to practice, and go
Through each forest, learning with Scathach".
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Maaya:

Alec: what bad habits? It's only as rulesy as you make it, and it's no more rulesy than the average RPG. The DM should take care of most of the technical crap for you.

The problem is that in the age of computer RPGs, it's a bit obsolete.
There's also the apparently huge decision to minimax, but I doubt it can be helped.

Eh. I guess my issue just breaks down to exceptionally poor DMs.

[ Tuesday, April 13, 2004 04:48: Message edited by: Nemo Custer Impune Lacessit ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Rowen:

[QUOTE] [a variant of Magic crossed with Monopoly]

Wow, if your friend can't pay the cost of a hotel, you can just bow them away with a fireball or have an Ashen Firebeast eat them for only the cost of one red mana. No need to go to jail anymore. I like this game.

That's kinda the way it goes, I'm knee deep in the middle of moving now, but if someone reminds me in about a week, i'll post some screenshots, movies, etc.

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #23
If committing rebellion is the price of having an imagination, I'll pay. Especially if it's against someone so anal and petty and possessive to not want me to think or question. Which is in response to that article about D&D posted by Alex.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I think D&D is good in concept, but 3rd Edition killed it for me. Which reminds me: another good pen and paper is Traveller. Has anyone here (aside from me) heard of that?

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate except for the fact that they refer to my clone.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #24
I liked 3rd Edition D&D even more than the previous ones simply because it allows you more freedom in character design. *shrug*

Pages