Should we have a chat room?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Should we have a chat room?
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #0
Who thinks we should have a chat room as well as a messageboard? I know some people won't see the point, but chat-rooms can sometimes be more interesting. I know this chat room, where you can have SoundsIgnore listsPrivate MessagingSmiliesThe ability to create multiple roomsNO ADMINS!! (party!)And a bunch more stuff. If most of the votes want a chat room, I'll host the room myself (no bandwidth problems for spidweb.com) and tell people the link to it.

[ Sunday, February 29, 2004 07:26: Message edited by: You know who this is ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=uihgceRninat"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=uihgceRninat"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_windowIMAGE(Should we have a chat room_files/votenow.gif)[/url]     IMAGE(Should we have a chat room_files/voteresults.gif)[/url]

--------------------
The most pointless site in the world!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

George Bush's answer:
We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #1
Ahhh, the good old days of Room 3...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #2
Uh...Room 3? Is this another insult, I've kinda had a pile of 'em lately.

EDIT: Those people who put no, why not? Whats wrong with u?!

[ Sunday, February 29, 2004 07:46: Message edited by: You know who this is ]

--------------------

George Bush's answer:
We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #3
There already is one. It's called "AIM". Just make up a chat name and say you'll be there. Anyway, I think no admins is a bad thing. If you have more than about five people in a room, it becomes inane and stupid, and the idiots need to be /kicked. Or, for AIM, the nonidiots can effortlessly make another room for themselves and not tell the idiots.

Room 3 was an AIM chatroom that often got used, until all the idiots found out about it.

[ Sunday, February 29, 2004 07:48: Message edited by: Khoth ]

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #4
AIM is more fun than chat rooms, in my experience. You put more than two or three people in that kind of situation and the whole thing gets weird. I am, however, a hopeless slave to instant messaging.

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #5
I think having an insane chat room is fun.

Besides, not everyone in the world has AIM (myself included), and I just thought it would be nice to have a chat room as well. But never mind.

--------------------

George Bush's answer:
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #6
we all know that, if they ever make a chatroom here, i'll spam it to hell.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #7
Wait a minute, apart from Dead Sexy Wise Man here, who else would there be to spam up the chatroom? Who else here is an 'idiot'?

Even if there were going to be any, you can make a seperate 'spam room' where the noobs could make sounds and smilies to their hearts content. And what is so brilliant about AIM?

EDIT: AIM is evil. Just like AOL

[ Sunday, February 29, 2004 08:23: Message edited by: You know who this is ]

--------------------

George Bush's answer:
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #8
It's not really that brilliant, but a lot of people have it. It is so ubiquitous that I for one was glad that the option to show your AIM id is offered in Spiderweb profiles.

I use three different instant message programs, but then I am weird.

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
ubiquitous
What does that mean? Good? Commonly used?

Theres a problem right there. A lot of people have it. This greatly increases the chance for spamming noobs (may I remind you of the Room 3 incident?). But the chat room I'm talking about will be unused by anyone, meaning the only spammers will be in this board (are there any among you?)

--------------------

George Bush's answer:
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #10
Ubiquitous: being or seeming to be everywhere at the same time; omnipresent.

Which means that my "so" was unnecessary, but them's the breaks.

[ Sunday, February 29, 2004 08:33: Message edited by: dareva ]

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #11
The Room 3 idiots are all Spidwebbers.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #12
A lot of them WERE more than ARE, though.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #13
quote:
I use three different instant message programs, but then I am weird.
I do too. Nothing unusual about that. I think the best messenger of them all is Yahoo Messenger because the smilies and other features are so much better. But yahoo, like the other messengers, does have its own problems and flaws.

I have no problem with a chat room, but I rarely ever visit them.

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #14
The funny thing is that I have these three messengers and I hardly use them anymore. Sometimes it makes a person wonder if there is anyone out there, and then all of a sudden, you get messages galore. Happy day! Someone knows that I exist.

Sherlock Holmes, I even have my messenger programs allotted to certain people. Family uses one, RL friends use another, and folk that I only know online use the other. Didn't plan it like that, it just happened.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
If you want a chatroom, go ahead and make one. You'll see for yourself how many people will choose to avail themselves of it. I'd guess that it would not be many, but I could be wrong.

—Alorael, who misses Room 3. Life's just not the same without rampant insanity and, yes, even rampant inanity.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #16
Yahoo Messenger is the worst messaging service ever made by man. -_-
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #17
Am I the only one who fell out of his chair laughing/crying every time #3897 posted on this topic?

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #18
Nope, you're certainly not.

YKWTI, if you are so set against AOL and AIM that you find yourself unable by principle to use the latter for communication purposes, that's your call. But if you really think that anyone around here is going to opt for a chat room over AIM simply to engage in the joy of conversation with your majestic persona, you may be in for a surprise.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #19
*coughs, and dust circulates around him and falls to the floor.*

I don't know.

I was thinking, perhaps a 'token-based' chatroom would be more suitable.

The process works like this:

Around 5 hand-picked administrators are chosen to hand out 'tokens'.

These administrators give out tokens (which are small lengths of text, somewhat like passwords. We could make them meaningful, like AOL's, i.e. "BUTTER-GHIRKIN", or meaningless, like "dh83klj2Y") to anyone they determine to be suitable to enter the chatroom.

Anyone who recieves a 'token' can enter the chatroom. Anyone who does not recieve a token can not enter the chatroom. Tokens can be 'revoked' whenever the administrators feel like it, providing an excellent ban system if someone turns into an annoyance. As the only way of getting into the chatroom without a token, there is effectively no way to get round the ban (which is pretty much the same as never getting a token in the first place).

Or, should you want to use IRC (the advantages being excellent access control), it also becomes quite simple. By setting the +i flag on an IRC channel, only those who are invited to join the channel can join it. Those who are not invited to join the channel can not, but they can 'knock on the door' using the knock command of IRC.

IRC also has a +k "Key" option, meaning only those with the correct password can get in.

[ Sunday, February 29, 2004 10:55: Message edited by: So Old, So Back... ]

--------------------
The Automated Ad-Free Horizontal-Scrollbar-Proof Blades of Avernum Script Archive
Creature Scripts | Terrain Scripts | Cool Stuff | Dialogue Scripts
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #20
BUTTER-GHIRKIN. It has a certain quality to it, as if it's the answer to something.

--------------------
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #21
Room 3 collapsed because it was abused. *snif*
There is nothing to prevent you finding the AIM SNs of people and saying hallo. Some of us use AIM rooms a lot still.

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #22
WHEN I HOLD YOU IN MY ARMS
AND I FEEL MY FINGER ON YOUR TRIGGER
IMAGE(Should we have a chat room_files/toucan.jpg)
I KNOW NOBODY CAN DO ME NO HARM

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #23
I didn't fall out of my chair, but I came close...

Room 3 does not belong to Spiderweb. Someone, I believe it was UA, told an online friend to meet him there, and then another friend started using it, then another, then another... there was three people in it last time I check, which was a while ago. There is one person there now - me. But if we are going to revive the Spiderweb AIM chat thing, it should probably be in a different room.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #24
Hello, I've been gone for a bit, but I'm back now

quote:
A lot of them WERE more than ARE, though.
Well then, most of the spammers are gone anyway.

quote:
Am I the only one who fell out of his chair laughing/crying every time #3897 posted on this topic?
quote:
YKWTI, if you are so set against AOL and AIM that you find yourself unable by principle to use the latter for communication purposes, that's your call. But if you really think that anyone around here is going to opt for a chat room over AIM simply to engage in the joy of conversation with your majestic persona, you may be in for a surprise.
I thought I wouldn't be able to say anything without a few stupid unwanted comments.

*sigh* look, as I'd previously mentioned, not everyone has these fancy-ass message thingies, and I don't want to use stupid frickin' AIM, or bother applying for it. And in fact, 7 voters have decided that they would rather have a chatroom, which is still some, even if a minority.

Nobody wants your useless comments, this is a poll for people to say yes or no, not try to get on my nerves. So just GO HOME. No I mean it just GO HOME and leave the rest of us alone!

--------------------

George Bush's answer:

Pages