Join the revolution!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Join the revolution!
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #0
The Place Where You Stuff
My message board.

[ Tuesday, February 24, 2004 15:36: Message edited by: The Almighty Doer of Stuff ]

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #1
c00l an0ther idi0tic discussi0n f0rum

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #2
What do you mean, idiotic? It's not idiotic!

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #3
what makes it such that i want to leave Spid, Wise Forums, Polaris and TCoB for that?

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #4
You don't have to leave them to post in the Place To Do Stuff.

--------------------
---------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #5
then what makes it so good?

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #6
It's somethig to do with the originality issue. Same prob. with Chance, although I'm working to fix it...

--------------------
-TEH BOOGEYMAN STRIKES AGAIN

--------------------

And then there's always a Chance nearby...
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #7
It's fine.It's kind of fun, actually. Very fun..

--Jonnie Zahndi Zolohahni

--------------------
Professor Frost gives me ideas.
Professor Frost has many an eye.
Professor Frost always foils my plans.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
originally written by "Generic Wise Man"
then what makes it so good?
The idea of having one's own message board is a fairly recent form of the much older appeal of "owning" some structure of communication.

As wise ladies and gentlemen may recall, there were some pathetic attempts to design even complete new languages, more than a hundred years ago.
One notorious example by the name of Volapük was created and de facto copyrighted by a German priest Schleyer.
His idea was that this language was so much better than any other language because he could use it so very well - forget about the group of people who were supposed to pay for the right to use it and might have wanted to have it adapted to their needs.
Does this sound familiar?
Well we were saved from the fate of speaking Volapük XP today as there was no well-heeled wiz-kid around with the necessary marketing skills...

Schleyer's basic misunderstandig - namely that a language "consists" of a grammar and a dictionary - is still alive today apart from a migration to the message board version.

Before anybody is offended, may I recommend to study the corresponding GNU-Ansatz to the problem of language design implemented at around the same time by a polish eyedoctor Zamenhof aka Dr. Esperanto. There is a lot that can be learned about establishing a new means of communication from Zamenhof's example - probably the most important thing is modesty and adaptation to the needs of the users. But judge yourself.

[ Sunday, February 22, 2004 16:09: Message edited by: yet another procrastinator ]

--------------------
Wisdom grows from trying to find structure in our experience - looking backwards in time - while living goes forward.
Theories are expectations that help us live forward - like possible ways to put the mosaic together. If they are worth the effort to remember, they should predict something and in case the prediction does not work out with time they should autodestruct.
And then there is something that we cannot test - something we have inherited in form of customs, attitudes, culture and the spirit of stories told and retold - that is like our individual SQUARE ONE.
This runs deeper than we can know.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #9
link doesn't work for me.

--------------------
--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #10
Which one? If referring to the message boards, it works perfectly fine.

--------------------

--------------------

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #11
obviously it's the message board.

--------------------
--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #12
Which, I may add has the distinct smell of Polaris rip off forums.

--------------------
The many faces of Logalot
--------------------
Polaris Roleplaying and Debating Board- 'Nuf said
--------------------
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #13
Sorry, but ain't that the logical lay-out of all the billions of forums out there? No, sorry then.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #14
Damn. I see the word "Revolution" and I get all exited. Then it usually turns out to be a topic about as interesting as watching paint dry. Wake me if something fun happens. *rolls over and goes back to sleep*

[ Sunday, February 22, 2004 21:11: Message edited by: antisocialdragon ]

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #15
Yes, ADoS, you definitely need a new paint job, and have the forum controls set up so that we can actually post IBF code like bold and such.

--------------------

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #16
I side with ASD here.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #17
Ah, but the fact that things are stagnating a bit on PDTS doesn't mean that the forum, or the revolution, is a failure just yet. If some of you interested in the concept of world revolution were to join and contribute, I have a feeling things would pick up rather quickly. As it is, sadly, our revolution seems to consist of only two or three members actually dedicated to the board's stated cause; the rest seem far more dedicated to making garbage posts, or requesting Admin positions (you know who you are IMAGE(Join the revolution!_files/rolleyes.gif) ). If a few more dedicated members were to join, marked progress would soon be made, surely.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #18
You have become a weak softie, Manmate. IMAGE(Join the revolution!_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by KommandoV:

Sorry, but ain't that the logical lay-out of all the billions of forums out there? No, sorry then.
Please compare the contents of the 'Chaos' forum there, and Beyond Misc. of Polaris. Dont drink and post.

quote:
Originally written by A Stughalfian Principle:

Ah, but the fact that things are stagnating a bit on PDTS doesn't mean that the forum, or the revolution, is a failure just yet. If some of you interested in the concept of world revolution were to join and contribute, I have a feeling things would pick up rather quickly. As it is, sadly, our revolution seems to consist of only two or three members actually dedicated to the board's stated cause; the rest seem far more dedicated to making garbage posts, or requesting Admin positions (you know who you are IMAGE(Join the revolution!_files/rolleyes.gif) ). If a few more dedicated members were to join, marked progress would soon be made, surely.
I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet. This idea is stupid. Web space is a horrible thing to waste, but that's what this is. But hey, if you ever conquer the world, I suppose you could have me executed or something for saying that.

--------------------
The many faces of Logalot
--------------------
Polaris Roleplaying and Debating Board- 'Nuf said
--------------------
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by A Stughalfian Principle:

the rest seem far more dedicated to making garbage posts, or requesting Admin positions (you know who you are IMAGE(Join the revolution!_files/rolleyes.gif) ).
But what's wrong with that? IMAGE(Join the revolution!_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by The Most Guru of the Gurus:

You have become a weak softie, Manmate. IMAGE(Join the revolution!_files/tongue.gif)
I'm not a softie, TGM, just a bit of a manwhore. Certainly, my willingness to join a few lame boards has caused my reputation to take a bit of a hit, but I believe you've misinterpreted my actions. I only joined Chance due to boredom, and the fact that you had already joined. As for PDTS, I mainly just joined out of boredom, again, and out of a desire to be the first member somewhere, anywhere. And although it doesn't sag quite so mightily as Chance, I do admit that it has begun to sag, and will probably sag a good deal more in the coming weeks. However, I feel that all of this saggery shouldn't necessarily mark me as having descended into sagot status. I'm a bored intellectual, thoroughly enjoy being fawned over and complimented, and don't mind using my extensive BS-ing abilities to have a bit of fun. Of course, and this is directed at Logalot as well, ADoS's revolution is just a pipe dream. But he's a good chap, if a tad bit too serious and idealistic, and there's no harm in simply being a member of his board. Hey, look on the bright side. I haven't yet joined Polaris, now, have I?

I don't feel there's any danger in merely playing a part on a few boards, just for a lark. If you believe I've been corrupted or softened in any way by my time on other boards, you're grievously incorrect. I'm still the same chap as I was when I first joined, just a little bit better-liked, perhaps. I may have stopped flaming so much around here since I was threatened with banning, but you can't truly blame me for that. Once all the Bates-related stuff is entirely buried and gone, you'll start hearing more and more from the old Manmate.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #22
I am disoriented by Stughalf's repeated use of the word 'chap' and lack of any other mannerisms associated with those I know who use 'chap' to an equal degree.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #23
For whatever reason, I like the term. It's a bit more whimsical than "man" or "dude." But I'm not the least bit British, so don't expect any "bloke" or "lorry" to leave my Midwesterner's lips.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #24
How about 'laddie'? Laddie is a good word, yes?

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00

Pages