life on mars

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: life on mars
Apprentice
Member # 3957
Profile Homepage #0
do you think there is life on mars??

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 38 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at February 07, 2004 12:35 PM board time.
Voting stops at February 07, 2005 12:59 AM board time.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=MgvjFhyoLKCj"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=MgvjFhyoLKCj"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_windowIMAGE(life on mars_files/votenow.gif)[/url]     IMAGE(life on mars_files/voteresults.gif)[/url]

--------------------
life sucks then you die
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #1
Yes, but only protobacteria, would be my guess. I don't think Mars could support much more.

--------------------
-WildKarrdeSmuggler

-----------------------------------
Visit the Smuggler's Alliance
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #2
The only life that could be on Mars is the life that we ourselves put on there.

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #3
How does that make sense? How would simpleton humans like us put bacteria on Mars? Or any kind of life?

(I'm assuming you mean at the poles, where the water is.)

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #4
(Wathes Steven Speilber's Taken- Gets frightened)

Yeah.If there is life on,mars far superior than us we should learn the arts of begging,pleading and asking for mercy. IMAGE(life on mars_files/biggrin.gif)

How many of you believe Aliens and others exist IMAGE(life on mars_files/confused.gif)

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #5
I believe that aliens exist, but not anywhere close to Earth. The Universe is unfathomably huge, and although several conditions must be met precisely in order for a planet to be capable of supporting life, odds are that there are at least a few other planets in the Universe that do, indeed, contain alien life.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Warrior
Member # 1351
Profile #6
My Theory...

Life on earth requires water, oxygen, food etc. Theres absolutely nothing to say that these are needed to be considered "alive" on other planets. The point I'm trying to make is that there probably is life on other planets, but beings that can survive without water, oxygen and other things that are essential to earthlings.

--------------------
Spend your lazy, endless crazy days inside my head.
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #7
I don't really know much about the matter, but as far as I understand Mars is just a lump of rock.

However, there is apparently, life on one of Jupiters moons. It's freezing cold on the outside, but warm enough on the middle for life to exist. Obviously it's nothing advanced though.

--------------------
The most pointless site in the world!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

George Bush's answer:
We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
Apprentice
Member # 3962
Profile #8
'The Unknown Pickle' may actually know what he's talking about. The fact is, there is probably life on Mars and we put it there. Despite intense sterilization procedures, the explorers we are sending to Mars contain thousands of terrestrial microbes. Many of the earlier probes (early Soviet missions) were subjected to few if any cleaning procedures, and even some of the newer explorers (NASA's Pathfinder) were only given modest cleaning. Several types of small life forms (bacteria for instance) can survive the intense temperature and radiation conditions in space. NASA has shown that terrestrial microbes can even survive for at least a year on the Moon (where there is no atmosphere and much harsher conditions then Mars has). For some examples, you can check out the NASA research or lookup the 'WaterBear' for one of the strongest mircobes known to man (not even a nearby nuclear blast can harm such a microbe). The 'stellar' survival capabilities of many bacteria is quite impressive and many would have no trouble surviving for very long periods of time on Mars (especially considering what many of them can eat to survive, lol).
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #9
It depends on the definition of life. Water seems to be a lot more prevalent than we first thought on Mars from analyzing activation analysis data. If you have water, carbon, and nitrogen (all of which are common on Mars) coupled with millions of years, simple life is almost inevitable.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #10
I voted no, but I druther go there and find out different. BTW, "no" as in "nothing higher than protobacteria."

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #11
Well, everybody knows there's a very big face on mars which is a sure sign of civilization. Also there's these canals all over the place that can be used to irrigate the entire planet. The martians probably just irrigate the backside so that we won't notice them.

(yay for Zack!)

--------------------
Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heilighthum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder, was die Mode streng getheilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder, wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Pieter Simoons aka Radiant

Official Crystal Shard and SubTerra webpage
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #12
We probably have polluted Mars with some of our own bacteria, although the culture that accidentally grew on the moon didn't spread nearly as fast as it did on Earth, so we probably haven't completely messed up that planet yet. Some researchers have suggested that life originated on Mars and was transported to Earth some 4 billion years ago, though this isn't so very well known either. Life has a funny way of being present if the conditions aren't too horrendous.

As for the Martian meteorite ALH84001, there is still a lot of discussion as to whether the fossils we see are actually fossils or are just miscellaneous inorganic precipitates, gold foil sputtering products, or terrestrial contamination. We'll probably never know for certain, unless we get to Mars and take a look on our own instead of waiting for a few rocks to be flung here every thousand years or so.

Europa (the previously mentioned moon of Jupiter) is another likely candidate for life, as it has liquid water beneath the surface. Titan, the moon of Saturn, has abundant organic compounds, many of which are probably necessary for life. The main problem with Titan is it's pretty dang cold (90K).

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ and Geneforge 2 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #13
I personally think that mars is inhabitable even now...but thats just me IMAGE(life on mars_files/biggrin.gif) . I'm a Mars Conspiracy Theorist...right along-side teh Moon Conspiracy Theorists IMAGE(life on mars_files/tongue.gif) .

There are alot of various photos that have been supressed in the media that, if real, proves there is--or once was--a civilization on Mars. Search around for Richard C. Hoagland stuff. He's the master of Mars Conspiracy and has alot of these photos that I am talking about. (Though for those of you who don't believe in these conspiracy things, most of this will probaly be pushed off as "bs" so....oh well IMAGE(life on mars_files/biggrin.gif) )

--------------------
"I am not stubborn, your just stupid."
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #14
We could use mars to test earth's nukes weapons etc.
Aliens are a poor story said by a few mad people.
IMAGE(life on mars_files/rolleyes.gif)

[ Tuesday, February 10, 2004 05:07: Message edited by: The Stinging Munster ]

--------------------
Some stupid laws

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

-Stinging Munster
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #15
This is not a double post & sorry to revive a long dead topic.

A simple question,'why have the 2 exploring rovers been named spirit and opportunity?'

--------------------
Some stupid laws

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

-Stinging Munster
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #16
Generally what happens is that NASA opens a contest for students (generally grade school, although a recent Ph.D. friend of mine also once won) to name the rovers. The contestant must supply a paragraph or two on why they chose the names they did. Spirit and Opportunity won, so that's why their named that.

--------------------

Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Warrior
Member # 3117
Profile #17
Because of the Columbia accident, what is the name of the next NASA space shuttle that is/will be put to service? (since there was only one Columbia, right?)

--------------------
If your buddy is trying to hook up with a girl, you may sabotage him only in a manner that gives you no chances of getting any either.
-The Code

Pahk ya cah in hahvad yahd?? What ah ya? retahded?!

Can't figure out the other sex? Check out ladder theory!
[URL=http://www.laddertheory.com[/URL]
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #18
Well, no new shuttles are planned. All that we have left is what we're using (Atlantis, Discovery, Endeavor, Enterprise, Pathfinder). The next generation of space vehicles is on their way. I'm not sure if they've been named yet.

I'm not sure if any missions are planned too soon, so I can't say which shuttle is going up next.

[ Friday, February 13, 2004 07:59: Message edited by: Schrodinger ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #19
I'm not sure. There may not be life there now, but I think there must have been at some point if NASA reports are to be believed.

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #20
I say the moon's more important, anyway; it is my belief that we're going to have to either kill ourselves or colonize other planets some day, and I'd really prefer the latter. Why not start with the moon? We can make/bring what we need, build some sort of base, expand it, etc. until we have a spacepad (for future Mars exploration), and then build some sort of settlement around that. I know that the cost would be unbelievably high, but it's going to have to happen eventualy, so...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
Mars has large amounts of water, although it's frozen. The Moon doesn't have much of anything to support life.

—Alorael, who saw an article a while back suggesting that a colony could be sent to Mars with enough supplies to keep everyone alive for 100 years, assuming no reproduction. The fuel required to bring them back, however, could not be sent. One way trip, anyone?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #22
There are a variety of problems with colonizing other planets, the main one (at least in my mind) is exporting our planet. Air, water, soil, you can't just make more, it has to come from somewhere. Terraforming an entire planet would be beyond immagining. Cost has nothing to do with it, it's getting the raw materials that would be impossible.

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

Mars has large amounts of water.

It was water frozen. IMAGE(life on mars_files/eek.gif) I thought it was dry ice.

--------------------
Some stupid laws

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

-Stinging Munster
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

Mars has large amounts of water.
It was water frozen. IMAGE(life on mars_files/eek.gif) I thought it was dry ice.

-Stinging Munster,though he likes signature stealing it is considered bad to do so.

[ Monday, February 16, 2004 04:23: Message edited by: The Stinging Munster ]

--------------------
Some stupid laws

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

-Stinging Munster

Pages