life on mars

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: life on mars
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
Uh, why quote yourself? IMAGE(life on mars (2)_files/confused.gif)

I think there's no life on Mars, but perhaps there might be some fossilized stuff.

And it'll probably be more than 100 years until an attempt to establish a colony or something was made, though someone might land on the planet before then.

Oh, and welcome back ASD! Where have you been? (no, I joined long after you left, but I've been told about several of the more famous oldbies... IMAGE(life on mars (2)_files/biggrin.gif) )

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #26
Well, using a "biodome" model of colonization wouldn't require terraforming a whole planet - it would just require terraforming one or two square miles. Which in my opinion is a rather monumental task considering how much it costs to send a single metal box on wheels up to the moon.

As a side note, who coined the word "terraform?"

EDIT: Ugly ugly spelling errors.

[ Monday, February 16, 2004 07:58: Message edited by: Death by a Waveform ]

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
I've seen the word in a book by Carl Sagan, but I don't think he said who coined it... *checks to see*.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #28
The moon may have water ice at its poles. Mars has an abundance of ice near its poles as well, in addition to a lot of CO2 ice. The moon may also have abundant easily accessible iron ore, if the Apollo mission return rocks are to be believed.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ and Geneforge 2 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #29
Though I don't know who coined it, and I don't think you can find out, "terraform" makes since to use as a title for what it does. Lets sit down for a quick review shall we IMAGE(life on mars (2)_files/biggrin.gif)

**busts out the graduation cap from out of nowhere and wips out a long stick to point to a chalk board**

For those of you who don't know, and I hope there are very little...lol...in laymens terms, to terraform something means to change it to inhabitable, wrather than UNinhabitable. The exact phrase from websters I can't get right now, as the word does not apear to be in my dictionary...(GUH! Thats really sad Webster....lol. i HATE you...)

Moving on, we can break down the word by using simple Latin, and simple english logic.

Terra: Earth, Earthen Spirit, Mother Spirit
Form: Change, state of being, material being

Terra (Earth) Form (Change). EarthChange. Putting it this way, we can easily see that the word was probably coined by some idjot that was paid a few "measily" million to come up with, over at NASA.

So in a nutshell, I think someone at NASA did it IMAGE(life on mars (2)_files/biggrin.gif) . (though again, I dont know...and I doubt you can officially find out.)

This has been a wounderful Happy Hour, funded and brought to you by our friends: spiders. Cuz as we all know, they are the only food we eat....in our sleep IMAGE(life on mars (2)_files/wink.gif)

--------------------
"I am not stubborn, your just stupid."

Pages