No Cameras?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: No Cameras?
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #0
Has everyone heard that there are to be no cameras in the courthouse at Michael Jackson's child-malestation case? What's up with that?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=SMWySBFDUrep"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=SMWySBFDUrep"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Join RC's new (and paid-for) forum, www.chanceforums.tk

And that, my Leige, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped. -Sir Bedevere

It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #1
Every man is entitled to his rights, you can't just ignore free will. If Michael Jackson doesn't want cameras to view his trial, then I respect that. I mean, its really none of the worlds (exception of the boys family, Michael Jackson and his family, Judge, Jury, etc.) business, no matter how much we want to know.

--------------------
I be rockin' da paradise baby.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #2
I have absolutely no desire to see Michael Jackson's hideous physiognomy on my television screen. He's a born performer, obviously, and the presence of cameras in the courtroom would only give him a marvelous opportunity to profess his innocence in majestic fashion. As the O.J. Simpson trial masterfully demonstrated, media presence in a criminal trial tends to warp justice. The power of the American justice system lies in its independence. Bringing the inner workings of a trial into public attention forces judges and jurors to answer to the populace for their actions, something they must not be forced to do if justice is to be upheld.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain - at least in a poor country like Russia - and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect." - Leon Trotsky
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #3
I don't see any reason not to have cameras, really, but since I wouldn't watch it anyway, I said no.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #4
I firmly support Michael Jackson in this case. I don't know whether he did it or not; I suspect not. In any event, the man is still victim of a massive media circus.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #5
Thank goodness most people have voted for the second alternative.
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #6
I could not stand to see Michael Jackson's trial. First the man looks like monster (well sort of :P ) and secondly, I dont care what happens to him

--------------------
I am the one and only Wizard!
WIZ GAMEZ The place to get the most recent gaming news! And now it has new layout!
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #7
I don't know whether Jackson did it or not, but I stand by the principal of innocent until proven guilty. I have yet to see any evidence that he's done anything whatsoever.

However, I do find his appearance and his music disturbing and terrible (respectively).

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #8
For once we both agree at the same, Morgan.

--------------------
Crom!
No
Beat

I HATE 1337!!!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
Are you even capable of committing to independent thought, Bates, or are you only able to nod your head and grunt out agreement to whoever passes by, much like a well-trained parrot?

I think that Michael Jackson had a screwed-up childhood; he's trying to compensate for that by being a father figure for children, and a father figure that he didn't have. Unfortunately, this may well have lead to Jackson acting entirely unappropriately towards these children (e.g. excessive but non-sexual physical contact, sleeping in the same bed, and so on); I imagine that he has given cash payments to parents because the parents have threatened to sue him for child molestation and Jackson genuinely cares for the children enough to prevent the media circus that would follow such a lawsuit for the affected child.

Unfortunately, apparently one of those parents got pretty damn greedy, and pinning child molestation to someone is about as easy as pinning a little tail to a big donkey without a blindfold. When people hear 'child molester', they start seeing red and shouting, 'Convict! Convict! Convict!', as well as entertaining bizzare notions about the inhumanity of the offender. (How would the average person say with 'We should torture him to death with small electric shocks' in response to, say, grand theft auto? Or even murder? Probably 'You're a sick bastard', right? Now what about child molestation? Cheering and patting them on the back.)

People don't understand that people do not just wake up and say, "You know what? I think I'm going to molest some children today". People don't steal out of sheer cussedness, and well-adjusted people don't go out and commit rape. Most child-molesters have a pile of psychological issues, and Michael Jackson, if he has molested children (which I still doubt!), is no exception.

The Jackson who claimed he had seen and heard what Jackson 'did' at Neverland just goes to show that money is much thicker than blood or water. The simple fact is, Michael Jackson hasn't done anything; this is a case fueled entirely by a media circus. "He doesn't want cameras at the trial?", one asks. "He must have something to hide!" Or, perhaps, "The police say they found video evidence of him molesting children at Neverland? He must have done it, even if they haven't produced the evidence in contrary to previous behavior!"

Even if Jackson has done what people have said he did (which I doubt), he has a right to a free and unbiased trial, and he is a victim here. You don't fix a buggy computer by beating it around whenever it crashes.

That's all I have to say on the subject. Have mercy on the poor bastard; righteous vengeance is traditionally God's territory.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #10
I voted "yes." Just to be nasty. :D :P

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #11
Well, maybe I'm a just a yes-man, but I also agree with Morgan.

I also agree that this whole thing is putting a large grin on the media's collective face, but I'm not so convinced that he's innocent.

Whether he's innocent or not, though, people have no right to put his suspected sex crimes above the crimes of proven murderers, just because he's famous. Not to mention hideous.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #12
Justice has to be seen to be done, but that's not what cameras would do. It would just be media intrusion and be lieable to unbalance the trial.

Having seen the media coverage of trials involving paedophilia in Britain, I think we should be much more ready to slap writs on newspapers for contempt of court.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again