Latin Help

Error message

• Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Latin Help
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #0
Are there any Latin majors in here who could help me with a translation? This is a bit of an odd request, but it's for my fencing club. How do you say "we poke mortals with sharp metal objects" in Latin?

--------------------
Sharka, a two-ton white rhino, got amorous with Dave Alsop's car when he stopped with three friends to take pictures of the animal mating with his partner Trixie at the West Midland Safari Park.
—CNN's website, 4/22/04
Note the value of commas. Try reading the sentence out loud.
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #1
"Homines fodemus" means "we stab people". It's the closest I could get with the help of my parents (who both have Latin O-Levels).

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Apprentice
Member # 3622
Profile Homepage #2
I'm only a high school Latin student, but my stab at it would be . . .

Mortales spiculis adamenteis fodemus.

We stab mortals with sharp points of steel.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #3
I only know two small phrases in Latin. Both from the Event Horizon movie. Incidentally, this will reveal the source for the idea of a weapon I came up with in an RP.

Liberate Mae - Save me

Liberate Tutumae Ex Feres - Save yourself from hell.

Kind of scary when you think about it. The Event Horizon movie scared the heck out of me the first time I saw it alone and around midnight.

Watch the movie and you will see where these phrases come in. The movie has been rated as poor, but I thought it was excellent.

I also know a few animal species names, but they can't help you much.

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #4
Be warned: A latin translation of this will be pretentious enough to defeat the silliness of the English version, and silly enough to defeat the pretentiousness of using Latin.
You just can't have both at once. I'm sure this is crushing for you, but still.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shock Trooper
Member # 136
Profile Homepage #5
Literally? "Mortales cum acribus metallicis rerum pungimus".
It would sound better if you change "metallicis rerum" (metal items) for "gladiis" (swords), though.

[ Sunday, November 02, 2003 12:47: Message edited by: Mab ]
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #6
You can't use a translation programme?
Warrior
Member # 3417
Profile Homepage #7
I believe that this link will be of great service. I refer to it for my Latin needs almost daily.

Sic Transit Gloria.

--------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #8
I would use a Latin translator, but I've started not trusting them since my bad experiences with translating English into German using SmarterChild (the AIM bot).

For example:
Bonum Noctis (7:06:13 PM): Translate "we poke mortals with sharp metal objects" from English to German
SmarterChild (7:06:15 PM): Translated from English to German, your text becomes:

"Wir stoßen Sterbliche mit scharfen Metallgegenständen."
Bonum Noctis (7:06:28 PM): translate "Wir stoßen Sterbliche mit scharfen Metallgegenständen." from German to English
SmarterChild (7:06:28 PM): Translated from German to English, your text becomes:

"We stoen mortal ones with sharp metallgegenstaenden."

Coincidentally, my screen name is Latin.

--------------------
Sharka, a two-ton white rhino, got amorous with Dave Alsop's car when he stopped with three friends to take pictures of the animal mating with his partner Trixie at the West Midland Safari Park.
—CNN's website, 4/22/04
Note the value of commas. Try reading the sentence out loud.
Apprentice
Member # 3622
Profile Homepage #9
Heh, "Good Thing of the Night?" Nice.

Actually, I think it could work if you had the Latin and then the English translation right below it. That way it'd have Latin's high-browed an' intell'gent-lahk quality to it, but then silly afterwards. Best of both worlds. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Latin Help_files/smile.gif)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Actually, the German translation is not half as bad as the retranslation into English suggests. Seemingly the translator English-German is much better than German-English. It's grammatically correct, and it even sounds a bit silly, capturing the spirit of the original. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Latin Help_files/tongue.gif) The problem lies in two special symbols: ß, which is for all intents and purposes a ss, must have been left out of "stoen", leading to it not recognizing the word and replacing "poke", and ä, which it did not recognize as ae and therefore made no attempt to translate 'gegenstaenden' with 'objects'.

[ Tuesday, November 04, 2003 20:31: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #11
You may not care, but I worked out Tolkien's ring-inscription in Latin (all by myself!)
unus anulus eos omnes regendi, unus anulus eos repperendi,
unus anulus eos omnes cogandi, et in obscuro eos continendi

Yeah!

It even rhymes and has rhythm! And those are two of the most difficult to spell words in the entire English language!

[ Thursday, November 06, 2003 13:19: Message edited by: Singing a little song... doo ba doo ]

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
It's kinda trivial to rhyme in Latin, isn't it?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #13
I don't know. I'm talking about unus anulus (One Ring) having rhyming qualities, not the other bit at the end of each line.
I suppose no Roman poet ever rhymed, they were more into rhythm...

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #14
Fac me cocleario vomere!

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain