suicide methodes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: suicide methodes
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #75
If you back out of it while writing a note then it just means that you really don't want to go. Live some more. Maybe something good will happen to you. If you can write a truly profound and heartfelt note, then still want to commit suicide, then go for a very simple solution if you don't want to make it too involved. Falling from a distance is probably the easiest. Quite frankly, I don't know how painful the moment of impact would be. Even if you were only going to experience it for an instant, extreme pain might still cause people to shy away from suicide.

--------------------
How do signature's work?
-Keep
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #76
You all have some good points about euthanasia. This is even more educative than the etics lessons at school.

I support the free will and think that everyone who wants to be mercy-killed should be allowed to do so. If there's one thing each human should get to decide of herself, it's her life.

What I'm wondering is how many of you would do this service to someone in great pain? It's one thing to talk about the free will and the etichal choices, but finally it all comes down to that one thing. Would you hold the needle? I think that if you support euthanasia but still would refuse to really kill someone, you aren't really that convincing.

As I said before, I could never kill anyone. Not for the greater good, not in order to relieve someone from great pain. I just don't have what it takes to kill another person. I couldn't live with myself after that, but always wonder if I really did the right thing.

So how about you all who support euthanasia? Would/could you kill another person, whatever the reason? Would you hold the needle?

[ Thursday, October 16, 2003 00:48: Message edited by: Ironweed ]
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #77
Interesting question.

Thinking of when my grandfather died, trying to imagine me holding the needle.

When it comes right down to it, I couldn't. I'd never be sure afterwards if it was my choice because I didn't want to see a loved one suffering, rather than the other person's choice. And of course, there's 'thou shalt not kill', which I take seriously.

There's a doctor here in Australia who has assisted a couple of terminally ill patients. He had provided some sort of machine that can administer a lethal dose of morphine. The patient has sole control over when that lethal dosage is administered. He assisted one person when it was temporarily legal in the Northern Territory, and I vaguely recall another case afterwards. The woman died peacefully with her family around her, in her own bed.

That's the ideal, I guess. Where the person concerned makes their own free and unpressured choice, and doesn't force another person to hold the needle and live with the guilt and doubt.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #78
I agree with what's being said, but an interesting observation of what Ironweed said- I noticed you used 'her' and 'herself'. I wasn't particularily disturbed or insulted, but it did manage to stand out from the rest of your paragraph, for some reason, most likely because I almost never hear it used. (Usually, it's either 'him' and 'himself' or 'one' and 'one's self'.)

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 360
Profile #79
Been away for while, well here's my rant : p

First on the right to live
I personnaly think that you're live is your's to live and your's to take. If you don't have the right to decide what to do with your life it's not your life anymore. However you should think about the people who you leave behind and if your sure youre going to commit suicide at least say a proper goodbye.

Second on the euthanasie.
I had a relation with a guy who had (don't now the right english word, tell me if you know) evolving paralyzation of the body, a form off the syndrom of Duchenne. And I can honestly say if he would've asked me to, when he reached the end stage of the disease I would've assisted him gladly.
It's not the right to live that I find the most important in these matters but the quality of that life. If you're in great pain or you can't do anything else than speak euthanasia is a RIGHT.
The problem is "rating" the quality of life, meaning when are you able to say "I have nothing to live for"?
That's a question that's soly there own to decide.
But even if they aren't "able" to think "clearly" should their chose be shoved aside? I've seen people who don't know there ass from their faces make important decicison about their childrens life without anyone interfering. So that makes me wonder too. When is someone "able" to make those decicison?

Bon, sorry about the bad grammar but I'm dutch so I have an excuse : p btw: if anyone knows the term please tell me.

[ Thursday, October 16, 2003 11:06: Message edited by: Vaevictis Asmadi ]

--------------------
I'm back with less posting than ever.

We Was Tim

Alta vendetta
D'alto silenzio e figlia.
- Vittorio Alfieri,

You purchase pain with all that joy can give,
And die of nothing but a rage to live.
- Alexander Pope, Moral Essays (ep. II, l. 99)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #80
quote:
Originally written by Balathermo of Blackrock:

I agree with what's being said, but an interesting observation of what Ironweed said- I noticed you used 'her' and 'herself'. I wasn't particularily disturbed or insulted, but it did manage to stand out from the rest of your paragraph, for some reason, most likely because I almost never hear it used. (Usually, it's either 'him' and 'himself' or 'one' and 'one's self'.)
Some people deliberately use female pronouns to refer to a hypothetical person some or all of the time for the purposes of promoting gender equality. We'll know the sexes are truly equal when you're no longer surprised to see either "him" or "her" used in any context.

And Vaevictis, the disease you're talking about is called Duchenne muscular dystrophy here. I did work experience at an institute that researched it.

[ Thursday, October 16, 2003 12:15: Message edited by: The Lined Paper Man ]

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #81
Vaevictis, nice to see you back in the discussion....

Some of us were afraid you had just gone ahead and bumped yourself off IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards suicide methodes (4)_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shock Trooper
Member # 360
Profile #82
Wel I have a tendency to not show up for quite some time and then return. anyway was close but I didn't have the guts to do it...

--------------------
I'm back with less posting than ever.

We Was Tim

Alta vendetta
D'alto silenzio e figlia.
- Vittorio Alfieri,

You purchase pain with all that joy can give,
And die of nothing but a rage to live.
- Alexander Pope, Moral Essays (ep. II, l. 99)
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #83
quote:
Originally written by Balathermo of Blackrock:

That is because I come from Finland (though I speak Swedish as my mother tongue). In Swedish, the word human is always refered to as feminine.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #84
Thuryl- That's more-or-less the reason I pointed that out. I didn't think my point was all that subtle. Although I'm more for using neither/both him or her instead of either.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages