I have an intriguing question for my fellow Spidweb users

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I have an intriguing question for my fellow Spidweb users
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #50
My god, those are long posts... you could have at least had the decency to spell "there" correctly. I know I put a spelling error in my name. I'm trying to make a point.

I also had a more interesting, more relevant point a while ago. I just forgot it...

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #51
Congratulations to everyone, and specially MSW (for your courage) for coming out. And I'd like to say that I also hate the fact that homosexuality is used to sell (just watch some TV...they all use gays to attract people). I hate that people still consider homosexuality to be a forbidden/anti-moral topic. Gays are persons like any other, not "weird bugs".

I'm straight. I think everyone should support gays. The gay community must feel really pressured because some persons are homofobic. But without homofobic people, there would be no equilibrium, therefore, everything would be wrong. There's stuff that's necessary, even if it's unpleasant. Discrimination is one of those, unfortunately. Anyway, I'll always support the community.

quote:
Originally written by The_Nazgul:

...Here in Chile it is still something of a tabu, only in the last years there has been something of an opening in that matter...
Yeah, but you can still see that there are a lot of adults that are really immature about the matter. I read some time ago that Morande (I hate him so much) said something homophobic and mocked about a gay (I think it was Jordi Castell) in his show. How I hate his show... it's so vulgar.

I'd also like to make a comment on how immature chilean society still is. In the last few years, the country has tried to get rid of the "extrmely moral and puritan" image that we had. But the media confused "opening our minds" with filling TV schedules with sex and obscene comedy. Society thinks that opening our minds is showing women in micro-mini skirts and little bikini tops, while some third-hand "comedian" makes obscene or homophobic jokes of bad taste. But I don't think it's that. If they really opened their minds, they would aprove the divorce law. No, I'm not a puritan, I just think that the society is just wrong. I'm so sick of it!!! (I'm sorry if that's off topic, I had to get it out of my system.)

[ Sunday, October 12, 2003 11:59: Message edited by: --Troubled queen-- ]

--------------------
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY TOMATO!
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
But without homofobic people, there would be no equilibrium, therefore, everything would be wrong. There's stuff that's necessary, even if it's unpleasant. Discrimination is one of those, unfortunately.
Why? It might be impossible to stop, but that doesn't mean it's necessary. Things would be a lot nicer without bigotry of all forms.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #53
Yes, but it's necessary for equillibrium.

--------------------
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY TOMATO!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #54
Umm, what? I know that eliminating all discrimination is probably impossible, but I fail to see how it's necessary.

On topic, I'm straight but I have no qualms about gays.

Off topic again, YAY!!!! 100 posts. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards I have an intriguing question for my fellow Spidweb users (3)_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #55
Sexuality seems to me to be an awfully nebulous and contradiction-ridden study. I'm from Oak Park, known to many who live there as a sort of San Francisco of Illinois. There is a heavy emphasis on diversity, and as such there is a very strong and vocal gay community there. I myself am not gay, as far as I know. I consider myself to be a straight guy, but, like most people it seems, I've had a few episodes of odd attraction to members of my gender. My theory on this whole phenomenon is pretty simple: men and women don't really look all that different, when you think about it. It's not like comparing sliths and nephilim. There are quite a few men who have an effeminate appearance and/or personality, and the same goes for women with masculine appearance/personality. Seems to me that attraction to certain members of the same sex would be most natural. Of course, I believe that for truly homosexual individuals, there is indeed some form of genetic hard-wiring to cause one to be primarily attracted to members of one's own gender.

It's interesting, though, that even though I am straight, I have had an inordinate amount of people ask me about my sexual orientation. It seems that whenever some people meet a guy who is shy, vegetarian, doesn't work out much, dresses well, and abhors flirting, they automatically feel the need to make assumptions about his sexuality. I even had my MOM ask me if I was gay. Top That!

There is also the matter of the dream world. Though I am quite straight in the real world, I have had one or two pseudo-homoerotic experiences in my dreams. I am not knowledgeable on Freudian theories; if I was, I would probably investigate this phenomenon. Unfortunately, my general apathy prevents me from doing all this work to find this stuff out. Sorry for being so long winded, and thanks to MSW for bringing out a very interesting topic.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #56
Mother knows best... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards I have an intriguing question for my fellow Spidweb users (3)_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #57
Yes, Stughalf, I sort of know what you mean about stupid assumptions. I think a lot of homophobia comes from a confused equation between gayness and lack of masculinity. The ancient Greeks never thought this, feeling men that preferred women as sexual partners were somehow feminised and weakened by them (of course, they still needed wives for children or Greek society would have died out--as, indeed, Sparta did--but that was a matter of duty rather than pleasure). This belief was no more or less absurd than the opposite view held by homophobes in this society today. I find at work that people get called 'poof' etc not because of their sexual preference but because they appear weak and ineffectual, i.e. it's about their powerlessness, with what is powerful being identified with the masculine, which is how it gets sort of sexualised. People get crap there because they'll take it.

I think these attitudes will change when either (1) gays are seen as too powerful to mess with (and there was that sort of steroid-popping, muscle-building uber-gay thing in the 1980s) or (2) social relations are based on less neaderthal principles, where people value each others ability to co-operate with rather than dominate each other. Difference would then be valued rather than seen as a threatening 'unknown'.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #58
I'm straight but also know all about the assumptions. At school, all because I am not attracted to anyone in the school, some assume I am a lesbian. It is the same for a friend of mine who wears her hair short and is athletic. Someone recently spread the rumour that she had a girlfriend in another school.

[ Tuesday, October 14, 2003 20:51: Message edited by: Milla ]

--------------------
...a sadist is only someone that is terribly nice to a masochist...

Want to find out how nasty you really are? visit:http://www.thespark.com/ now!

Also look at my site here
This is also a
good site
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #59
I imagine none of those so dedicated to keeping women 'in their place' (i.e. c.1800) with this sort of homophobic BS are very attractive, frankly...
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #60
I am living proof that one doesn't need to be attractive to be reasonably successful in relationships.

[removed for the sake of Dick Cheney's heart]

And I've put on a couple pounds since then. Ick.

[ Wednesday, October 15, 2003 12:54: Message edited by: Kill Yourself ]
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #61
I'm Bisexual, Probably at least slightly Bipolar, polyamourous, and furry.

I've come to the conclusion that who you are attracted too is usually less physical and more emotional/mental. (Though its quite possible for someone to like traits in people that are "generally masculine", or "generally feminine".) My creed is this, If you love someone show this fact, male or female; and if those you love feel for others, don't suppress their right to feel such things. Sex is, to me, of very little importance or consequence.

As for prejudice… I feel the human race as whole could use a lot less of it... but then again there is only so much you can "reasonably expect" from a species that rose by bashing each other and everything around them into submission using crude wooden and stone clubs.

I’m a feline, and often times act like one, (well as much as you would expect an evolved specimen to act) although I “wear a human skin.”

On a pseudo-related side note, I and those like myself tend to be very emotional creatures. In touch with our and other’s emotions that is. So the type of government I would prefer above all others is a TRUE Social Democracy, (an Empathic Commune if at all possible ^.^ *chuckles*.)

[ Tuesday, October 14, 2003 21:41: Message edited by: Ezrah Karotanta ]

--------------------
HIHI!!!! *hugs indescriminantly* take that, FEEL THE LOVE!!!!
Warrior
Member # 3457
Profile #62
i agree because i had the same sort of experiance but my relationships didn't last as long so i'm currently single at the moment
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #63
quote:
Originally written by Ezrah Karotanta:

I'm Bisexual, Probably at least slightly Bipolar, polyamourous, and furry.

I’m a feline, and often times act like one, (well as much as you would expect an evolved specimen to act) although I “wear a human skin.”

*rings the alarum bells*
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #64
I
Hear the sledges with the bells --
Silver bells[i]!!![/i]
What a world of merriment their melody foretells[i]!!![/i]
How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle,
In the icy air of night[i]!!![/i]
While the stars that oversprinkle
All the heavens, seem to twinkle
With a crystalline delight;
Keeping time, time, time,
In a sort of Runic rhyme,
To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells
From the bells, bells, bells, bells,
Bells, bells, bells --
From the jingling and the tinkling of the bells.

II
Hear the mellow wedding bells --
Golden bells[i]!!![/i]
What a world of happiness their harmony foretells[i]!!![/i]
Through the balmy air of night
How they ring out their delight[i]!!![/i] --
From the molten-golden notes,
And all in tune,
What a liquid ditty floats
To the turtle-dove that listens, while she gloats
On the moon[i]!!![/i]
Oh, from out the sounding cells,
What a gush of euphony voluminously wells[i]!!![/i]
How it swells[i]!!![/i]
How it dwells
On the Future[i]!!![/i] -- how it tells
Of the rapture that impels
To the swinging and the ringing
Of the bells, bells, bells --
Of the bells, bells, bells, bells,
Bells, bells, bells --
To the rhyming and the chiming of the bells[i]!!![/i]

III
Hear the loud alarum bells --
Brazen bells[i]!!![/i]
What a tale of terror, now, their turbulency tells[i]!!![/i]
In the startled ear of night
How they scream out their affright[i]!!![/i]
Too much horrified to speak,
They can only shriek, shriek,
Out of tune,
In a clamorous appealing to the mercy of the fire
In a mad expostulation with the deaf and frantic fire,
Leaping higher, higher, higher,
With a desperate desire,
And a resolute endeavour
Now -- now to sit, or never
By the side of the pale-faced moon.
Oh, the bells, bells, bells[i]!!![/i]
What a tale their terror tells
Of Despair[i]!!![/i]
How they clang, and clash, and roar[i]!!![/i]
What a horror they outpour
On the bosom of the palpitating air[i]!!![/i]
Yet the ear, it fully knows,
By the twanging,
And the clanging,
How the danger ebbs and flows;
Yet the ear distinctly tells,
In the jangling,
And the wrangling,
How the danger sinks and swells,
By the sinking or the swelling in the anger of the bells --
Of the bells --
Of the bells, bells, bells,
Bells, bells, bells --
In the clamour and the clangor of the bells[i]!!![/i]

IV
Hear the tolling of the bells --
Iron bells[i]!!![/i]
What a world of solemn thought their monody compels[i]!!![/i]
In the silence of the night,
How we shiver with affright
At the melancholy menace of their tone[i]!!![/i]
For every sound that floats
From the rust within their throats
Is a groan.
And the people -- ah, the people --
They that dwell up in the steeple,
All alone,
And who, tolling, tolling, tolling,
In that muffled monotone,
Feel a glory in so rolling
On the human heart a stone --
They are neither man nor woman --
They are neither brute nor human --
They are Ghouls: --
And their king it is who tolls: --
And he rolls, rolls, rolls
A paean from the bells[i]!!![/i]
And his merry bosom swells
With the paean of the bells[i]!!![/i]
And he dances, and he yells;
To the paean of the bells: --
Of the bells:
To the throbbing of the bells --
Of the bells, bells, bells --
To the sobbing of the bells: --
Keeping time, time, time
As he knells, knells, knells,
In a happy Runic rhyme,
To the rolling of the bells --
Of the bells, bells, bells: --
To the tolling of the bells --
Of the bells, bells, bells, bells,
Bells, bells, bells --
To the moaning and the groaning of the bells.
--E.A. Poe

[ Wednesday, October 15, 2003 16:08: Message edited by: Saishuu Heiki Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #65
No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #66
quote:
Originally written by X:

The ancient Greeks
Damn you, that was my point that I forgot to make (sort of), that is that it was considered normal to be gay in Ancient Greece and a lot of Romans were bisexual, but effieminacy wasn't so acceptable, Cicero, for example, used this fact against Verres in his famous trial (that's one of the few things I learnt in Latin this year).
Anyway, surely heterosexuality isn't exactly "default" for a person to be if the Greeks thought differently.

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #67
They thought that people who were exclusively heterosexual were feminized by their women, as a matter of fact.

Of course, we can go all on about the ancient Greeks and Romans being different from us -- as far as most things sexual go, turn the default western view upside down and there you have it.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #68
I'm straight and I don't really have anything against anyone else

--------------------
Ohh YEAH!!!
--------------------
My god could kick you god's ass.
--------------------
Getapc
--------------------
Teh Flamin sworrd of bd gramer has now become the Flaming Sword of not perfict grammer.
--------------------
Worning not perfict grammer behind.
--------------------
DOLNEY HAS CHANGED TO A guy with not so perfict grammer
--------------------
I shortened my sig.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #69
What is the difference between assent and denial?
What is the difference between beautiful and ugly?
What is the difference between fearsome and afraid?

The people are merry as if at a magnificent party
Or playing in the park at springtime,
But I am tranquil and wandering,
Like a newborn before it learns to smile,
Alone, with no true home.

The people have enough and to spare,
Where I have nothing,
And my heart is foolish,
Muddled and cloudy.

The people are bright and certain,
Where I am dim and confused;
The people are clever and wise,