The War of the Races

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The War of the Races
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #0
What would happen if the Humans, Nephilim, Slithzerikai, and Vahnitai engaged in an all out war?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 25 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=dFAKAFKVDLRS"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=dFAKAFKVDLRS"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_windowIMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/votenow.gif)[/url]     IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/voteresults.gif)[/url]

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #1
not this thing again...

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #2
What do you mean?

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #3
It's Vahnatai.

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 78% 33% 44% 22%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #4
The Vahnitai may win the first round. However, as the Vahnitai War Hawks plunder and raid human towns, the humans shall unite with the kitties and the lizards, and develop magic-resistant armor. The Vahnitai are physically frail and if their magic is no use then they are dead. The kitties will shish-kabob the Vahnitai fighters while the lizards destroy the Vahnitai buildings as the humans kill innocent Vahnitai. The end, at least for the time being.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
I concur with WM.

IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/rolleyes.gif) Not. Again.

Party Animal, fyi, this discussion topic has been raised several times in the past on these boards. I would say that the number of repetitions - including all its variations (ranging from 'would Erika kick Rentar's ass' to 'Which of the Valorim plagues would win an all-out war' to 'Earth vs. Ermarian: In a struggle of technology against magic, which would prevail') - are about 20-40. Count them if you have the time, and if you arrive at a number significantly lower than 20, I'll hang my head in shame. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/tongue.gif)

But to answer the old question again, humans.

The nephilim live in tribal societies with simple social structure, magic and technology. No chance. The Slitherikzai are almost all underground, and they possess no means of teleporting to the surface, while humans can send reinforcements down.

The Vahnatai are the only ones that are a match for the humans, and this is first in a time of war (between the surface and Exile), and the next time on a newly settled, unimportant continent under mostly incompetent and corrupt mayors. If the humans of Exile and the surface unite, they could defeat the Vahnatai.

There. That enough? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #6
Well, as I come only once about every three weeks, I am not in tune with all the going-ons of the board. Excuse me if I caused any annoyance, but you have no obligation to be reading or posting in this topic. I made this topic so that people who are interested in it and would like to post in it can post. My purpose was not to cause irritation to you, so again I apologize.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #7
How can you call it an all out war between the four races if you assume that the humans will ally with the slithzerikai and the nephilim?

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #8
The humans will win. No matter how powerful the enemy mages and fighters may be, they just can't defeat a group of 4-6 humans.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Or 4-6 sliths, or 4-6 nephils. No, the vahnatai have a distinct disadvantage when the party is involved.

If PC's aren't there, I think the vahnatai could win if they could divide and conquer. If they fail at that, human numbers would prevail. Too little is known about the true slith civilization to guess what they can and cannot do, and the humans already pounded the nephilim into the dust.

—Alorael, who suspects the winner would actually be the number of people who will repeat the same points over and over in this topic.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #10
I meant that IF the Vahnitai subjugate all of Avernum, the humans, sliths, and kitties will unite, and do what I said previosuly.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #11
Humans simply have far superior numbers. And their reproduction time is (most likely) faster than Vahnatai, so even if the spindly-legged freaks were able to force a stalemate, humans would over power them eventually.

Also, humans are too greedy to lose. The Vahnatai would probably go and seal themselves up in a cave if it ever started looking grim.

There's no question concerning the Slithzerikai or the Nephilim - The kitties are useless and the Sliths could be held off by Exile. The might of the Empire would crush them.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3238
Profile #12
Of course, the humans would obviously win. They got numbers, greed, mercinaries with amazing crap. Heck, the only thing I see which would be a major disadvantage to the humans would be the amount of casualties they will rake up. Sure, nephils, sliths, and the Vahnatai are going to be overwhelmed sooner or later, they will go out with a huge bang none the less. Hmmm... maybe this could be a huge campaign scenario for BOA... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/wink.gif)

--------------------
"Friendship is two things: Trust, and sharing. I personally see it as a business opportunity."
-Random Quote
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
Ahem. What we see in Exile II is one clan of Vahnatai. One clan capable of holding off Exile and one of the most powerful archmages around. There are many other clans, and Vahnatai numbers, while not rivalling the Empire, are more than enough to get things done.

And really, Vahnatai are not physically frail.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #14
He's right. Look at the Vanhatai assault on the surface in E3: Apart from your party, who are practically superhumans and certainly not to be counted in any war, no-one could touch any of the monster plagues, which were meanwhile wreaking havoc on Valorim and pretty close to destroying it. If Valorim could fall that easily, what's going to happen to the other continents? I can't really see the sliths, nephils and humans allying together, and even if they did, the Vanhatai could just throw up a barrier...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #15
You also forget that according to E3, the Third Empire Army is infinite. How many of these infinite armies does the Empire posses? Surely enough to stomp a few caves full of pansy frail (bite me!) Vahnatai!

Go humans!
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #16
And Valorim is marginal to the Empire anyway, suggesting more military hardware and loyalty available in more established regions. I'm suspicious about how united the Vahnatai are too. If even that one clan can't resist fighting amongst themselves--even stealing sacred crystal souls to please human invaders--I seriously doubt Vahnatai clans are likely to cooperate much with each other against a centrally-controlled, unified Empire.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #17
Devided they'd fall!

In such a mighty Empire there's bound to be a huge number of excellent spell-casters, surely enough to conquer several puny bands of Vahnatai scum!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
Why do you all assume greed is one of the great advantages of humans? The Vahnatai, for example, are idealistic, and most of the Slitherikzai are too (let's just drop Nephilim from the discussion, right?).

While the Vahnatai would certainly be capable and ready to seal themselves in a cave and hibernate for a few centuries, effectively losing the war, most of the humans would split up and change sides the moment they saw a better opportunity for money. Hey, if your PCs were in such a war, and the humans' commander offers you 1000 coins for a mission, and the Vahnatai offer you a soul crystal, two training crystals and a good xp boost, you wouldn't think twice, right? Neither would many humans, both Exile and Empire. They'd eventually break into factions, and at that point they're tactically no better off than the nephilim with their tribal societies. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/tongue.gif) Greed doesn't usually do a lot to unite people...

EDIT: I actually mean "soul crystal" here. The Vahnatai would never give anybody a crystal soul freely (apart from some renegades who don't care about it; in a way they've become like humans IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/wink.gif) ). This is not referring to a theft, but to humans being offered a bribe. The most logical thing coming to mind is some cool magic thingie only made by Vahnatai. Like a soul crystal. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/tongue.gif)

[ Wednesday, September 03, 2003 09:41: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3238
Profile #19
Very good point, Aran, but greed in my term was what they would get out of the war. Sure, a bunch of caves are not much, but when they find minerals and all that, plus all the Vahantni stuff, don't forget the slith and nephil stuff along with that, the Empire is sure to get anxious to have that stuff sooner or later. They stole a soul crystal before, they can do it again! IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The War of the Races_files/wink.gif)

However, I would actually prefer sliths (not saying they'd win, but I still would woot for them). They can take out many, [i]MANY[/i] soldiers before going down, and are much more powerful than the nephils or humans. Although, I don't know how they would hold out against the Tower of Magi (If it still exists when the war happens.)

--------------------
"Friendship is two things: Trust, and sharing. I personally see it as a business opportunity."
-Random Quote
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #20
Valorim is the very wild west. You cannot judge an empire by a portion that is rife with corruption, manipulation, and havoc. The rest of the empire almost certainly packs a pretty powerful punch. And the empire stole "Crystal Souls" not "soul crystals"

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #21
The nephilim would win hands down against everybody, just by being cute and fuzzy. and wicked fast with a switchblade and deadly accurrate with arrows and missle weapons.

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3238
Profile #22
Whoops. My bad on that, Party Animal. I should replay Exile 2 or A2 again... =/

--------------------
-Random Quote
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #23
Don't worry about it, Tommy. We all make mistakes.

In reference to Od, if I got my hands on a Nephilim, I would love it, and hug it, and snuggle it, and kiss it, and pet it, and feed it, and walk it, and groom it, and call it... George!

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #24
Yeah, when Nephilim book into hotels, do they moan about the lack of kitty litter or do they just go out and scratch up the lawn?

Pages