To all European football fans

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: To all European football fans
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #0
Am i even allowed to talk football (or soccer as americans seem to insist on calling it IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/rolleyes.gif) ) here? well i don't care..

Ajax has made it to the Champions league! and this time they'll win for sure!! eat your heart out, Austrian football fans IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/tongue.gif)

[ Thursday, August 28, 2003 10:24: Message edited by: Borc ]

--------------------
Many an ancient lord's last words have been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh."
-Terry Pratchet
----
"Never build a dungeon you wouldn't be happy to spend the night in yourself. The world would be a happier place if more people remembered that."
-Lord Vetinari
Warrior
Member # 3329
Profile #1
Good for you!(i think)and i think you can talk about it...

--------------------
Hello.Nice To Meet You.Call Me OM.Bye.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Borc:

Am i even allowed to talk football (or soccer as americans seem to insist on calling it)
I never could figure that one out. And what they call football rarely uses the feet for more than something to use while running. If the kicked the strange lemon "ball" around to the goal, then maybe it would be more deserving of the name, but they don't. Instead the like to run around while holding it and throwing it to one another(which they do far more than the select few times they kick it to the goal). Just another example of how screwed up the US is.
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #3
How very true, Mars! just for that, i'll reward you with 5 karma point from me. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/cool.gif)

--------------------
Many an ancient lord's last words have been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh."
-Terry Pratchet
----
"Never build a dungeon you wouldn't be happy to spend the night in yourself. The world would be a happier place if more people remembered that."
-Lord Vetinari
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #4
Well, anyone here can tell you that I'm never one to argue when it comes to complaining about America, and I agree that "football" is kind of a weird name for it, but I have yet to understand why Brits pronounce it "leftenant" instead of "lieutenant." Over here in the Yee-haw USA, we just pronounce it the way it's spelled.

And then there's the practice of adding extraneous U's to stuff. "Colour," "favourite," et cetera. Fewer letters means fewer typos...just something to ponder...

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
If you typo by omitting the extra "u", in a way, you have not made an error at all. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/tongue.gif)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Commodore Mango:

Well, anyone here can tell you that I'm never one to argue when it comes to complaining about America, and I agree that "football" is kind of a weird name for it, but I have yet to understand why Brits pronounce it "leftenant" instead of "lieutenant." Over here in the Yee-haw USA, we just pronounce it the way it's spelled.
Apparently, this pronunciation arose because U and V were once interchangeable, and people unaware of the word's origins pronounced it "levtenant", which quickly became "leftenant" because voicing that V is awkward.

quote:
And then there's the practice of adding extraneous U's to stuff. "Colour," "favourite," et cetera. Fewer letters means fewer typos...just something to ponder...
Neither spelling looks much like the actual pronunciation. In some ways, standardised spelling has done the English language a great disservice. Then again, it seems as if every language has to have something to make it unnecessarily difficult to learn.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
Wow, Ajax had such a difficult draw. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/rolleyes.gif)

You barely made it, too. I definitely think that PSV is going to run away with the Dutch title this year.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #8
We didn't add the extra "u" to things. You took it out.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #9
Yeah, you're right. But it seems easier to just have fewer letters, and we Americans are lazy asses. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/smile.gif)

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #10
Most of the 'irregularities' in English English stem from Dark Age invasions by Angles and Danes (e.g. the 'w' in 'sword') or later Norman invasion, and make perfect sense in those languages.

American English was 'rationalised' (inverted commas included for the sake of neutrality) relatively recently, by the Hoover administration in the 1930s, and would have been thought 'wrong' (divergent from English English) even by Americans before then.

Returning to the general subject, the footie season has started in UK too. Being some sort of pervert, I don't follow the game, but understand nothing on Earth (e.g. SW conventions) is going to stop footie fans talking with boundless enthusiasm about the centre of their universe once they get started. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/smile.gif)
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #11
Manchester City are doing remarkably well so far, but this is the season that Tottenham are going to start kicking some serious arse!!!

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #12
Do limeys call donkeys arses too?

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Wow, Ajax had such a difficult draw. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/rolleyes.gif)

You barely made it, too. I definitely think that PSV is going to run away with the Dutch title this year.

I'm afraid you're right about PSV IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/frown.gif)
But Ajax only barely made it because they are lazy.. once they're up against Milan they'll be focused, and they'll play a lot better then PSV does in the Champioins league. too bad they never keep it up in the dutch competition though.

oh and X, you're right, you can't stop me IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/tongue.gif) but i want you know that i actually rarely talk football.

--------------------
-Terry Pratchet
----
-Lord Vetinari
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
*sigh*

Not Tottenham again. Helder Postiga is a Kevin Davies/Corrado Grabbi. Robbie Keane is injured far too often. Zamora is unproven in the premiership. Convey isn't ready. Glenn Hoddle has no idea what he's doing, either. Playing attractive soccer isn't easy when you have such a weak back line (with Carr as the notable exception).

Roman Abromovich has done a lot with Chelsea, but they've come off lackluster in the last few performances because they haven't gelled yet. And because Ranieri keeps playing Duff on the right. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/rolleyes.gif)

Blackburn, my team, are off to a decent start. If we can get the Babbel, Baggio, and Ferguson signings completed, we can compete in the UEFA Cup as well as the league. Amoruso and Emerton have started well, but Taylor has been poor and Gresko and Neill have been inconsistent. If Souness goes back to playing Thompson on the left or in the middle, Blackburn will have a proven match winner and someone who steps up in important games. This Saturday's game against Chelsea will say a lot about the rest of the season.

Oh, and Citeh have started extremely well. Anelka has finally found a decent partner in Sibierski, and Wright-Phillips has been a revelation on the right.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #15
I don't really follow English football, except maybe to see how the dutch players there are doing, especially Ruud at MU (no, not Magic User) offcourse.

--------------------
-Terry Pratchet
----
-Lord Vetinari
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Well, in the Dutch leagues I'm a big fan of Kezman, who's a very exciting player. Ibrahimovich is good for Ajax too, and I like Roda's big center back.

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #17
Grumble, I don't like football (round-ball kind). It's the only game the Brits seem to be able to beat us at. Maybe if FIFA let us into the Cup without having to fight some South American team for a spot then it might get some serious following here, but as it is, football is nowhere near as popular as leage, rugby or even (god forbid) shirt tearing AFL (which shares some similar aspects to football - hot pants IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/tongue.gif) ).

Our women's footie team kicks arse, but as long as we haven't got a spot in the World Cup, footy is going nowhere in Australia.

Damn you FIFA, you win this time.

Md.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
Well, if you can't beat the fifth-best South American team, then you don't deserve to go. Your squad has a lot of talent, but I think that they're too pretty and not rough enough. Need Paul Ince in his prime, or a Graeme Souness-type.

--------------------
====
====
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #19
'Arse' is at least a Middle English word for the posterior - Chaucer used it in 'Canterbury Tales' and I bet others can find earlir usages. 'Ass' seems a dumb name for this celebrated portion of the body - I mean, what's the connection between it and the equine?

On football, I do hope Man U. don't do well, simply because too many people support them just because they like to be on the winning side, and would show no such loyalty if they were at the bottom of the League and not the top. Whilst Chelsea have got the technique to match 'em (unlimited funds to buy players...hm), their fans are notorious horrible (Headhunters, etc - apologies to Chelsea fans also embarassed by them), so I find it difficult to wish them well - even against Man U.

[ Friday, August 29, 2003 04:48: Message edited by: X ]
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

Maybe if FIFA let us into the Cup without having to fight some South American team for a spot...

Do you have to play against the fift South American team?? If so then its very likely you will play against my country (Chile), since we have had quite a bad presentation in the last games, one of the worst was the one before Korea/Japan where we ended up last, out of the 10 South American teams!! while usually the teams who made it to the world cups where...in this order... Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile. What I realy regret is that our first game will be against our eternal rivals the Argentinians in Buenos Aires itself...so we are just hoping, fingers crossed, we dont get runned over.

Talking about world cups, ever noticed how americans name some american "football" and baseball games "World Cups" when actually they and a handfull of others are the only ones who play it? Also, why do they call themselves "americans"? Im american to you know. My guess is that "United Statian" sounds to weird.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #21
I don't hope Man U. does either well or bad.. i'm quite neutral towards them untill they have to play a dutch team IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans_files/smile.gif) which i believe would be Ajax again if they both make it to the semi-finals.

I'm sure looking forward to sept 19, when Ajax will meet Milan again. I'm watching Milan playing Porto now by the way! (Supercup, 1-0 for Milan at the moment)

[ Friday, August 29, 2003 09:59: Message edited by: Borc ]

--------------------
-Terry Pratchet
----
-Lord Vetinari
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #22
Baseball is rarely played outside America and Cuba. And if you think America wants Cuba (or rather its government) on this world, you are sorely mistaken.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by X:

'Arse' is at least a Middle English word for the posterior - Chaucer used it in 'Canterbury Tales' and I bet others can find earlir usages. 'Ass' seems a dumb name for this celebrated portion of the body - I mean, what's the connection between it and the equine?
I blame Shakespeare. He used an ass/arse pun in Midsummer Night's Dream. I believe the "ass" and "arse" spellings of the word were interchangeable for quite some time before that, though.

Djur: We spell it with an R because that's how we pronounce it.

[ Saturday, August 30, 2003 15:32: Message edited by: Thuryl ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #24
Baseball is a Ring of Fire game, the US, Mexico, Caribbean, and the rest of Latin America, as well as Korea, the Phillipeans and Japan play baseball. Japan is even more into Baseball than the US.

--------------------
I am not really here.

Pages