To all European football fans

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: To all European football fans
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #25
Do not insult Professional US Sports. Yes you can talk about our Government but stay a way from our sports. For many people in America Professional Sports is more than just a pass time, it is a way of life and thinking. Americans live and die by there sports. Even though America is filled with people who can not agree with political, religious or racial topics, they can all sit down together and watch a game. Professional Sports in the US is a bigger topic than Politics. When my father was working as a bartender in 92 during the Gulf War the majority of his clients prefered watching the Hockey Game than the war. So do not talk about our Sports, because in the free world sports are a way of life and a creed.

--------------------
"I am young, I am twenty years old:yet I know nothing of life but despair, death, fear, and fatuous superficiality cast over an abyss of sorrow." All QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #26
Sadly, in most countries sports is more populair then politics. I believe this is so because of a combination of more entertainment, more excitement and because sport clubs can't raise taxes.

And i don't think people in the USA are as fanatic about sports as people in South America, were the goalie of the Argentinian national football team once got lynched by an angry mob over a lost final match.

--------------------
Many an ancient lord's last words have been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh."
-Terry Pratchet
----
"Never build a dungeon you wouldn't be happy to spend the night in yourself. The world would be a happier place if more people remembered that."
-Lord Vetinari
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #27
There's a couple of debates there: Is South America more devoted about it's sports than North; or just more violent IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/tongue.gif)

But back to poor Australia and it's never-going-to-get-a-spot-in-the-world-cup position. Australia will never be good enough to play in the world cup until it's actually been in it and gathered some following over here. Cricket is about 40 times more popular than football at the moment, even though it's payed as a "sunday afternoon" game far less. Why? Because our team gets to go over to other countries and thump arse, something Australians love to watch - or even better, watch teams come over here and have their arses thumped (such as when the Brittish Rugby team the Lions came over here - ner IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/tongue.gif) ).

There's a lot of good football players in Australia, it's just that they're doing other stuff at the moment, like playing more popular sports. Our greatest cricket player of all time was one accused by England as being a robot - surely we've got just as good footballers?

Grumble. I really like footy and the only time they ever show it on TV is on SBS (a channel on foriegn affairs), and even then it's only English premier league stuff.

Md.
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #28
I think I must agree about us South Americans being more violent, but we are also more fanatic about our sports, specialy football since its the only game that we can use to fool around with europeans. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/biggrin.gif)

As for the violence matter I must say football games here have suffered gratly due to the increasing number of "incidents" in stadiums where the hardcore fans actually battle against each other for their teams, sometimes resulting in death. That is one of the reasons why I dont go to any football stadium in about two years. Actually, last Sunday, a "classic football game" (meaning a game between the most popular teams) ended in disaster when some guy from the tribune threw a piece of the stadiums benches over the fence (yes, there are actually fences to keep the back) right over one of the players, who was a few cm. from loosing an eye.

[ Monday, September 01, 2003 19:32: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #29
A lot of the Australian problems are that their players don't get enough first-team opportunities. There are the odd Premiership starters (Neill, Emerton, Kewell, Viduka, Schwarzer), but then your coach begins to rely on Okon and other has-beens.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #30
We've had our share of football-fanatics violence here as well, up to the point were 'supporters' from two clubs actually made an appointment to battle in a field next to a highway. Some people got killed that day, and since then it has become a bit more tranquil, i.e. they mostly stick to smashing up bus stops and parked cars after a match.

What i've always wondered about is the lack of fences in the stadiums in the UK. English hooligans are usually considered the worst behaving supporters in Europe. Do the clubs keep them out of the stadium or something like that? Or are they just as sweet as kittens in their own country, and is that the reason they are so rowdy when they get to the mainland? (all that pent up anger..)

--------------------
Many an ancient lord's last words have been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh."
-Terry Pratchet
----
"Never build a dungeon you wouldn't be happy to spend the night in yourself. The world would be a happier place if more people remembered that."
-Lord Vetinari
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #31
Borc: The English just have respect for their own. Take Australia for an example - they didn't want to spoil their own country with evil people, so they chucked them on a boat and sent them here.

God damn funny if you ask me.

They might be perfectly upstanding in their own country, but you try putting them somewhere else; they'll trash it. Think Ibiza...
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #32
Pitches aren't generally fenced off in UK stadiums because fans get crushed or burned to death by the dozen if anything untoward happens. In fact, this has happened in the past on occassions rather too common to speak well of club respect for fans. I don't reckon much to a hooligan 'code' where only rival firms are targeted eiher. Like Medieval chivalry, that's typically honoured in the breach, real factors beng the availability of drink and targhets, and the vigilance of the police Football National Intelligence Unit.
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #33
MD: well that's just great, isn't it!? thanks to you i had to break my 7 years standing oath NOT to think about Ibiza.. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/mad.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/wink.gif)

X: yeah, drinking plays a large part i guess.. but the major guilty party there is the english government imo. The closing hours for pubs and dancings in the UK are just insane! no wonder english people learn to get drunk within an hour.

--------------------
-Terry Pratchet
----
-Lord Vetinari
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #34
I will give you updates on U.S sports. There are currently two sports dinasies in the U.S. One is a Baseball dinasie(The Newyork Yankees), the otther is a BasketBall Dynasie (The LasAngelis Lakers). The Yankees star pitcher is Roger Clamens, The Laker have two star players. One is Shaq, the otther is Cobby Briant. Coby Briant is currently in trouble with a sexual harasshment case. Sadly none of the Boston teams are doing s***. Professional Athlets actually make the most money in the U.S. Professional U.S Athlets mostly have additudes and think there better than everyone else. And actually playing the game is only 1/3 of there job, the otther 2/3 are doing adds and doing interviews. Actually the sports agents have all the power because 90 percent of Pro Athlets grew up in getthos and where not educated properly. So the listen to there agents that manage there money, hence the aganets control all the money in power. Pro US Sports is basically all about money and power, and the agents control all the money and power. So in a sense the Agents run pro sports in the states not the athhlets, coaches or managers. I have a correction to make with my coment about Boston teams earlier. The NewEngland Patriots where a SuperBowl champion team two years ago, but since then the've traded most of there player and now they can't even make it to the play offs.

--------------------
"I am young, I am twenty years old:yet I know nothing of life but despair, death, fear, and fatuous superficiality cast over an abyss of sorrow." All QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #35
The footie hooligans are very much in the minority here. The vast majority of us will happily go and and watch the football, and maybe even cry on the way home when we lose, but we won't go and kick people's heads in just because we fancy it.
We're not all like that!!!

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #36
Hmm. JF, the Red Sox are very much in the division and wild card race, the Celtics have made the playoffs at least two years in a row (hooray for the Nets!), and the Patriots missed out on the playoffs because of a Jets trouncing of Green Bay and an unlucky Browns win.

And really, the Yankees best pitchers are Moose and Petitte, not Clemens or Wells. Heredia has been pretty good in relief too. The Lakers have signed Gary Payton and Karl Malone for a monster team this season. Really, only the Kings, Spurs, Mavs, and Nets can compete. The NFL is basically a toss-up now. Parity has gone too far.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #37
You make a fair point, Lady Marmelade - the vast majority of footie fans have no time for hooligans, who are likely to get England excluded from the European Cup at this rate. Euro matches aside, it was pretty much on its last gasp back in the late-1980s with the big riot at Luton where the cops were pelted out of the stadium. It was this rout of the forces of 'law and order' that led prime minister Margaret 'Iron Maiden' Thatcher to set up the NFIU and pass laws specifically designed to break the hooligan firms. Before then, mates of mine can remember taking other firms' pubs off them on match days with plenty of glass thrown and / or broken, and running through the streets with mounted police / rival fans behind them, turning over cars as they went. It was an adventure in an otherwise boring life like a real-life version of 'Fight Club', basically, even if a lot of people did get hurt as a result.
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Hmm. JF, the Red Sox are very much in the division and wild card race, the Celtics have made the playoffs at least two years in a row (hooray for the Nets!), and the Patriots missed out on the playoffs because of a Jets trouncing of Green Bay and an unlucky Browns win.

And really, the Yankees best pitchers are Moose and Petitte, not Clemens or Wells. Heredia has been pretty good in relief too. The Lakers have signed Gary Payton and Karl Malone for a monster team this season. Really, only the Kings, Spurs, Mavs, and Nets can compete. The NFL is basically a toss-up now. Parity has gone too far.

How do you know all of this, I didn't even know any of this and I'm a American. And I believe you are frome Canada, but please do not get affended if I misplaced your country. But you didn't put down a location near your sig. But if you really are not from the U.S I am very impressed with how much you know about U.S pro sports.

--------------------
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #39
Drakey is an American.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #40
quote:
Americans live and die by there sports. Even though America is filled with people who can not agree with political, religious or racial topics, they can all sit down together and watch a game. Professional Sports in the US is a bigger topic than Politics.
And this doesn't worry you? In my opinion, American sports are terrible to watch. American Football? Boring. Baseball? Boring. Basketball? Boring.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #41
Ahem. Bayern München will bury all.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #42
X, I live down the road from Luton. I remember it all only too well.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #43
Bah, Cottbus is far better than those stinking Bayerish. At least I dream it that way.

As for Baseball, Ichiro 0WNZ J00. I like the game, but understand why some don't. I don't like handball or Hockey, and I find waterpolo to be the ultimate quick sport. I think it is all about what you were raised on. Like I was raised on pro-baseball, College football and swiming. I know those games well, and could care less about college baseball or pro football.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #44
Rent: hah, Bayern probably won't make it past the 1st round, what with having to play against Milan and Deportivo la coruna. I think Ajax has a much better chance of making it to the 2nd round, with Inter milan as the only real threat to them in the D group.

X and Lady M: I just have been doing some reading up on the incident at Luton, the hillsboroguh and Heysel disasters, and i must say it was more horrible then i remebered.. but it seems like those were really the worst incidents, the rest of brittish hooligan history reads just like the dutch version. or am i wrong there, and was it really that bad every weekend during the late 80's?

well, on another note, the European Championship for countries is coming along soon again IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/smile.gif)
Do you think your country will make it all the way? Myself, i'm just praying holland will make it to the EC at all.. we have one of the daftest trainers in Holland leading our national team at the moment IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/frown.gif)
We're playing Austria this weekend, which should be easy, but i have my doubts. Then we have to play the Czech team, which is better at the moment than the Dutch team...

edit: some spelling errors, please forgive me if i missed some IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/wink.gif)

[ Friday, September 05, 2003 13:31: Message edited by: Borc ]

--------------------
-Terry Pratchet
----
-Lord Vetinari
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #45
Does anyone else rate Celta de Vigo? I think that they're great, but everyone else seems to write them off. Bayern Munich have been very Liverpool-ish lately. If the German division were stronger they'd be doing a lot worse.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #46
...and so the road to world cup has started in south america, with the very first game being played today, Argentina v/s Chile. I realy felt the need to post this since its not an everyday thing to draw or defeat Argentina IN ARGENTINA. We got away with a valuable 1 point from our draw 2-2. YAY!!! IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/biggrin.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/biggrin.gif)

IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To all European football fans (2)_files/File_200396175757.jpeg)

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #47
Woohoo!!! We won the football 2-1! Go England, go England, go England!!!

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #48
Good job by Rooney, but Braga had a nightmarish game for Macedonia.

And I noticed that Chile-Argentina score while watching the Atlas-Monterrey game last night. I hoped that they would show some highlights during halftime, but no dice.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 3440
Profile #49
the winner of Champions League is the predestinated Juventus, the best football club of the world.
the best football club of the world after Genoa, of course.

Pages