How about new spidweb game ?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How about new spidweb game ?
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #0
I don't know what you think of fantsoft.
As spiderweb software and fantasoft worked together for EI, when it was about fantasy, and both of them have made progress into sci-fi games (namely geneforge and new centurion), I was wondering the possibility of a new game. When they will have finished BoA, they might think of a new trilogy or game.
Interested ?

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #1
Excuse me if I didn't quite get it, but are you saying that Spiderweb
might produce new games in the future, and asking if we might be interested
in those games? (which would produce two resounding YESes for answers)

--------------------
Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heilighthum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder, was die Mode streng getheilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder, wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Pieter Simoons aka Radiant

Official Crystal Shard and SubTerra webpage
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #2
Sorry if I wasn't very clear.
What I am speaking of is a spiderweb/fantasoft sci-fi RPgame (not a BoE scenario), with a new game engine, probably a new universe and so on.
Yes we are going to be interested when GF3 will come out and yes spiderweb will not stop producing games, but what about another kind of games ?

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #3
Frankely, fantasoft has a really poor series of games. I don't want to see Jeff work with them.

[ Friday, August 22, 2003 04:51: Message edited by: Kakashi ]

--------------------
I am not really here.
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #4
I said fantasoft because they have already worked with them, but as far as I am concerned I would prefer ambrosia software.

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
I don't think Jeff is big on collaboration, I don't think he'd want to publish under Ambrosia when he has his own company, and I most emphatically do not think Geneforge is Sci-fi. It's still fantasy, just not traditional fantasy.

—Alorael, who would be willing to try any Spiderweb game no matter who else worked on it. But New Centurions isn't even a new game. It's just Realmz with a new title and a new theme. Fantasoft deserves to die for self-plagiarism.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #6
Realmz was crap anyway. I don't even know how in the hell they managed to sell people on the idea of a scenario base game where you have to not only pay for the game, but the lame scenarios too. It's like selling an online RPG for an insane amount of money, and then charging people to be online.
Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

New Centurions isn't even a new game. It's just Realmz with a new title and a new theme. Fantasoft deserves to die for self-plagiarism.
IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How about new spidweb game_files/rolleyes.gif)

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
And the graphics are lousy. Even compared to the first version of Exile. But I've said that before.

Afai heard, Jeff was going to make a third Geneforge and a scenario editor for that. May have only been a suggestion though. Would be cool anyway.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #9
So no collaboration, but then what about a sci-fi game ?
I remember reading someone complaining about having difficulties finding objects to interact with, I also remember Sim City 2000 where you could have a 90° shift of view. it might be possible to modify the isometric engineif enough graphics are provided but it might need a new engine…

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Every decent isometric strategy/city building game has that, but RPGs don't for some reason. It was what bugged me most about the Avernum series, but I don't think Jeff'll put it into BoA since he didn't do it for any Avernum game.

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
Jeff will be busy for quite some time, as he has to complete BoA, GF3, and BoG.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #12
Draykfyre - I know that you mean Blades of Geneforge, but does it really have to be "Bog"? As someone on the G2 board noted, that word is used by South Africans to describe an extremely dirty and disgusting toilet.

I liked my idea of "Geneforge ongoing Development System" - GoDS

And, btw, Realmz was great in 1994 - back in the day when Apple was being led around by the idiot-chimpanzee CEO John Scully who nearly ruined the company before it was saved by Steve Jobs.

No commerical game developer even looked at the Mac back then, so shareware flourished. And Realmz was among those great titles.

Then, inexplicably, Fantasuck kept releasing "upgrades" to Realmz that made it worse and worse and worse. Who are these guys taking lessons from, Microsoft? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How about new spidweb game_files/biggrin.gif)

And New Centurions was a sick, evil joke of a game. Especially since the Realmz engine allowed you to import your own graphics. Basicly, it was just a sci-fi scenario with new graphics - hardly worth the price of admission. Oh yeah, and it took about three years to produce that thing.

Anyway, they haven't done anything since then.

Z
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #13
So nothing new until a long time.
Bad news, but that was previsible.

Thank you for posting.

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #14
Every four years or so, Jeff gets a new idea. Until then, expect trilogies with scenario editors stuck on the end, dated graphics and a complete refusal to make a different type of game. We just have to live with that.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Wait. Did Jeff ever do anything else except trilogies with scenario editors at the end?

If not, then do you define Jeff getting "a new idea" as stopping to make these trilogies and work on another type of game?

And if so, how do you know that it takes four years if it never happened before?

Sorry, I'm a tad too logical sometimes... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How about new spidweb game_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
---
---
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Wait. Did Jeff ever do anything else except trilogies with scenario editors at the end?

Yes, Nethergate.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #17
Would your rather see a Blades of Geneforge or a completly (sp) new idea.

Aha! an idea for a pole!

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
A pole? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How about new spidweb game_files/confused.gif)

Ah, I got it. You mean a poll? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How about new spidweb game_files/tongue.gif) Like, that thing with votes? Got me confused for a second there... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How about new spidweb game_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
---
---
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Exile wasn't really that original of an idea, although it was executed well. Avernum was the same thing, only with a new engine. The vote is split over that one. Geneforge actually isn't like most other games, but I dislike the engine.

The solution is to make more historical fantasy games like Nethergate, obviously!

—Alorael, who can't remember the interview that gives Jeff's rationale for game design, but it's out there somewhere. Basically, he wants to make a living, so when an idea sells he sticks with it. He said that a strategy game might be fun to make, but it's an unnecessary financial risk (look at GC!).
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
Strategy games take a lot of development resources. Take a look at all the good strategy games on the market, and you'll see they were all released by really large companies. This is different from RPG games, where the ones with the best plot are usually those made by small unknown developers.

The AIs are a lot more important for one thing - while a goblin can be stupid in some situations without a problem, if an enemy consistently makes decisions where a chimpanzee would know better, you get something resembling Galactic Core (never played it myself, just picked it up while reading through the boards IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How about new spidweb game_files/tongue.gif) ).

Strategy games don't rely that much on a plot, and therefore the designer's creativity when making up a story (which Jeff has a lot of judging from Exile) doesn't come into effect. And you must admit that Exile without its fantastic plot would be a heap of crap. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How about new spidweb game_files/wink.gif)

--------------------
---
---
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #21
If you wanted to get technical, you could include Nethergate as part of the Avernum trilogy, as that and Avernum I has essentially the same engine. I don't think the remaking of Exile into Avernum was a bad idea, The Exile series was simply way too dated and hard to use, especially Exile I and II. The plot is simply one of the best and well executed (If rather simplistic) in the shareware RPG world. It was stupid to let Exile simply lie there with a minimal ammount of new players when he could take the plot and put it into a new trilogy, that although was although still the style of classic RPGs, had better graphics and an easier to use interface. It was certianly a much better idea than having Spidweb be a publisher for crappy games from 3rd party developers (Homeland anyone?). I would have to agree any more stretching of the Exile/Avernum plot line (i.e. Avernum 4) would be ridiculous. I would have to agree with Alorael about being interested in a Nethergate 2... (Although BoN would be kind of pointless...)

--------------------
The many faces of Logalot
--------------------
Polaris Roleplaying and Debating Board- 'Nuf said
--------------------
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw