Dial up

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Dial up
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #0
Well, I got bored and just thought this editorial type thingy up.

As if we all haven't noticed, dial up, the traditional way to get on the internet, has outlived it's usefulness and thus has begun to die out. With high speed connections, such as cable and DSL connections, becoming less expensive, dial up is gradually becoming unable to compete. In addition combating the reasonably costing alternatives, dial up has to deal with yet another problem: the fact that it's speed seems to have decreased as a result of the vast amounts of people using it, which results in a massive drain on server power and bandwidth for Dial Up companies. With the ever increasing speed gap between dial up and high speed internet, it is impossible for dial up to continue existing for more than a few more years.
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #1
Yep, thats why I have a cable modem.

--------------------
I am not really here.
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #2
Dial up is really slow... IMAGE(Dial up_files/frown.gif)

--------------------
Don't expect the expected
expect the unexpected
if you expect the expected
I expect you will remain unexpected.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
...yeah. And thus just occured to you people?

Good lord, what a waste of Spidweb's all-too-precious bandwidth.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #4
TM stop being pissy. Only the things you say seem to be right, and appropriate for this community. Endless debates, flamewars, mocking others, if that's your idea of an internet community, go back to your precious.. no wait, you ven left desp for you though they were pissy.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
As people get better connections, sites start putting up more images and other bandwidth-intensive things, which results in a need for faster connection speeds, in an endless cycle. Computer processors and programs show the same cycle. If the internet and modems evolve as fast as computers have, we'll all be using wireless, unbelievably fast connections that can be accessed anywhere in a few short years.

—Alorael, who agrees that dialup's growing obsolescence is about as obvious and inevitable as the replacement of computers from 1990 with newer, better models made in the 21st century. Technology keeps improving, especially since that keeps money pouring in from customers.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #6
The same problem applies to hard drive space. Pictures seem to take up more space. Audio files aren't getting any smaller. Games are only getting larger. As the files get larger and more processor power hungery, hard drives get larger and processors get more powerful. Meanwhile perfectly fine computers are forced into obselessance.

It's one of the sadder things about this new technoligical ages. It's a pity something can't be done about it.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #7
Free/very cheap upgrades? I wish...

I think it will still exist in a few years, but, of course, will not be close to as common as it is now.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #8
For those of us who can't get anything but dial-up where we live, we cheer for Dial-Up to last as long as it possibly can. IMAGE(Dial up_files/tongue.gif)
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Lord Bob:

For those of us who can't get anything but dial-up where we live, we cheer for Dial-Up to last as long as it possibly can. IMAGE(Dial up_files/tongue.gif)
Well put. One of the few things keeping Dial-up alive is the fact that other high-speed methods of connection aren't as widely availible. For Dial up, one only needs the same commonly at hand line as one does for the telephone and a modem. However, for cable, one requires special lines and access abilities that just aren't as common in some smaller towns and rural areas. But, as trends show, even here, Cable will come, and bit by bit dial-up modems will go the way of the 8-track.

---Your Cable Connected maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Sanity is a relative concept. And like most my relatives, I rarely see it.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #10
LoneFlame, you're proposing that all games use MIDIs (which is something I'm not wholly against), use 8-bit graphics, and come in under a megabyte. Things get bigger because they're getting better.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #11
I agree on that one, and I'm willing to prove it's also true by uploading some of my games someday, and letting you see them.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #12
There is a speed barrier that everyone seems to be forgetting, the speed of Light(good old c, 2.998 x 10^8 m/s). Unless we make a giant leap in science and technology, connection speeds are going to level off. The same is true of processor speeds. There is only so close the wires can be. Already, the electrons are hopping about and teleporting themselves. There isn't much we can do to stop it yet either, unless we start making larger chips again.

[ Saturday, July 19, 2003 18:05: Message edited by: Willow ]

--------------------
Let the soul trading begin.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
Oh, come on. We'll have figured out how to pass the speed of light by then. Whatever it takes so I can get my graphic materials quicker. IMAGE(Dial up_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Doctor Wu:

LoneFlame, you're proposing that all games use MIDIs (which is something I'm not wholly against), use 8-bit graphics, and come in under a megabyte. Things get bigger because they're getting better.
Let's see here... MIDIs aren't that bad. 16-bit will work. Well, let's see here, the isn't a SNES rom that's anywhere near 10 megs(I don't think I've even seen them come near 5 megs). That alone should say something. As for getting better... That's not always the case. Take Avernum for example. It's filesize is 2 to 3 times(I'm not sure which, probably 3 though) larger than Exile's filesize and it's not much of an improvement(if any at all). Did it really take twice the hard drive space to make a game with a few more things?

It is within the abilities to reduce the number of space a file takes up, without degrading the file. I think we should stop settling for better quality at the cost of size, and instead work towards small size and high quality.

I don't have much faith in the abilities of the human race, but if we can shrink down electronics, then surely we can shrink down file sizes to a more reasonable size.
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #15
One good thing about data storage technology, more and more blue lazer media is coming out. That mean we can store more in less space than with the old red lazers. But blues cost a hell of a lot more and use many times the energy that reds do.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #16
But we shouldn't have to keep developing information storage until we reach the max possible storage space for something made on earth.

And what do we do when the files are too large and we don't have enough storage space and ability to transfer information.

It's stupid to develop only half of the equation. Once we reach the peak file transfer rate, processor speed, and storage space; we'll have no choice be to figure out how to shrink down the file sizes.

What we need to do is start doing that now, before we absolutely have to.
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #17
But we are doing that now...blue lasers. Next we will move up with a goal of gamma rays. The problem isn't storing stuff, it's getting the energy to run the lasers. Each step costs many times more than the one previous. At the moment, to get the energy to create a gamma laser, we would have to detonate a powerful nuclear bomb. I think you can see the problem in this.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Lone Flame:

And what do we do when the files are too large and we don't have enough storage space and ability to transfer information.

It's stupid to develop only half of the equation. Once we reach the peak file transfer rate, processor speed, and storage space; we'll have no choice be to figure out how to shrink down the file sizes.

What we need to do is start doing that now, before we absolutely have to.[/QB]
1. Have you ever heard of .zip, .ace, or .rar files?

2. Have you heard of a program that make those files above even smaller?

3. If not enough space on hard drives, put it on floppy's, CD's, and DVD's, and whatever else they come up with. Or just get a second hard drive.

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #19
Umm, yeah. We have a lot of space to go.
Files won't get much smaller due to the code restrictions, but, if programming langauges change, it might be possible to get it stable.
As for more space, oh there is plenty.
We don't need no stinking gamma rays. They are very far down, and having them ignores Violet and Ultraviolet which on the lower ends, could allow for an order of magnitude more than Blue. Of course this ignores changes in amp control. That could also do an order of magnitude.
That is out growth of existing tech.
We can do better.
Like 3-d.
Processors are mostly flat. So are storage. Adding more dimensions of growth could cube the hundred fold increase. Thats a 10^6 increase.
Without going quantum.
Trust us. We will be there by the time a terabyte processor exists. What does quantum mean?
Nearly unlimited.
Computers have a while yet to go. You can't use that as an excuse to tie down everyone else. So just wait a couple years and buy a current system and you can play all current games for a fraction of the price.
As for data transer speeds, the bus is plenty fast, so fast few use it near capabilties. That is, if you are on firewire.
Don't worry, be happy. IT's gonna get better.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #20
dang server.

[ Monday, July 21, 2003 21:17: Message edited by: Kakashi ]

--------------------
I am not really here.
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #21
mwahaha, I have:

Intel Pentium 4 Processer
120GB Hard Drive
GeForce4 MX Graphics
512 RAM
CD-RW Drive
DVD-ROM Drive

and some other crap.

--------------------
I get energy from your jealousy. Ever wonder why I'm so hyper?

The Abyss Scenarios, Forums, Graphics...
E-Master's Graemlins Come take a look.
Miscellaneous Get to the closed misc. forums!
Where's Waldo? Can you find Waldo in less than a minute? *Evil Grin*
End of World Da end is coming!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #22
How about this---

Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT technology at 3.2 Ghz
1.5 gigs of DDR dual channel RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256Mb
320 GB of Hard Drive Space
CD-RW and DVD+RW

yeah...it even has a floppy drive...

...for $760...on Ebay...

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #23
Me likey. Someone, give me 760$, fast!

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #24
damn....you beat me.....

--------------------
I get energy from your jealousy. Ever wonder why I'm so hyper?

The Abyss Scenarios, Forums, Graphics...
E-Master's Graemlins Come take a look.
Miscellaneous Get to the closed misc. forums!
Where's Waldo? Can you find Waldo in less than a minute? *Evil Grin*
End of World Da end is coming!

Pages