Dial up

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Dial up
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by RealityManiac:

quote:Originally written by Lone Flame:
And what do we do when the files are too large and we don't have enough storage space and ability to transfer information.

It's stupid to develop only half of the equation. Once we reach the peak file transfer rate, processor speed, and storage space; we'll have no choice be to figure out how to shrink down the file sizes.

What we need to do is start doing that now, before we absolutely have to.

1. Have you ever heard of .zip, .ace, or .rar files?

2. Have you heard of a program that make those files above even smaller?

3. If not enough space on hard drives, put it on floppy's, CD's, and DVD's, and whatever else they come up with. Or just get a second hard drive.[/QB][/quote]Okay, an idiot knows that a friggin floppy can't hold anything besides a few picts and or some text docs. Also, CDs, Floppies, and DVDs are too easily broken.

And compressed files have to be decompressed to be used. It's not just about storage, it's about storing and using.
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #26
LF, if easily broken applies, then all computers are at risk.
Besides, new floppies are very very good.
Zip disks alone hold 250 megs, an are old tech. I have some in a lab that are about 4 gigs.
CDs, or more and more, dvds, are the dominant storage medium. They work well, and with better cr-rw, can replace normal discs. Their cheapness is improving and if put in a case, are robust.
The future is shorter wavelength lasers, and then something better that's almost ready. Crystals. 3d cds more or less. It's orders of magnitude more storage.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #27
Zips aren't floppies.

And you're missing the point. Some of you are keep bringing out new methods of storing info that will get here eventually. I'm talking about what do we do when we reach the peak of being about to store stuff(which won't happen for a long time). Then again, time is relative. The planet isn't going to be destroyed by pollution any time soon, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to deal with pollution now.
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #28
quote:
by Kakashi:
We don't need no stinking gamma rays. They are very far down, and having them ignores Violet and Ultraviolet which on the lower ends, could allow for an order of magnitude more than Blue.
That's why I said a "GOAL of gamma rays". It will be a long time before we can do those.

And zips are floppies, just larger/higher quality ones. If you don't believe me, open one up. Also, just like normal floppies, zips corrupt far too easily.

Whoever is selling that good of a computer for that cheap is either stupid or already rich.

--------------------
Let the soul trading begin.
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #29
Or a lier and a thief.

--------------------
I am not really here.

Pages