Driving (non-spidweb)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Driving (non-spidweb)
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #0
I hope this turns out big. Anyway, today around 5:00 PM Central time, I got to drive for my 1st time. I went to the park and drove on some of the back roads and in one of the big parking lots. Only bad thing that happened was I almost ran into the side of a bridge because of some crazy bicycle riders. I also (accidentaly0 went 5 MPH over the limit. Oops. other than that, I did all right. i can't wait till I get a lisence, or at least a permit.

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Join it and get me some cash, and have fun!
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #1
Driving without a license? You are a bad, evil person! You should die for being so evil!
Just kidding. I hope you do well on your driving exam.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

Driving without a license? You are a bad, evil person! You should die for being so evil!
Just kidding. I hope you do well on your driving exam.

Me too, although I still have a few years to study and practice. I won't tell my exact age but I still have a year or 2 until I even get a permit, much less a lisense. It's what, 14 or 15 now?

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #3
i get to have my G2 by August, haha. that means i can drive pretty much anywhere. IMAGE(Driving (non-spidweb)_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #4
Hmm. My half-birthday was about a week ago, which means five months and three weeks until my parents force me to get my permit so that they never have to drive me anywhere ever again.

I'd be all too happy to learn to drive, if I got to drive a moped. Mopeds are awesome. In Italy, almost nobody drives an actual car--everyone drives a moped. I should live in Italy.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #5
yeah... okaaaaaay. Cool. Anyway, I can't wait until I get at least a permit. IMAGE(Driving (non-spidweb)_files/wink.gif)

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #6
I've had my permit for about a month now. Drivings not too tough. The first few times is awkward, but once you get used to it, it's easy.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ugnagnok
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #7
In Italy, people don't drive 8-foot-wide hunks of Detroit steel. And they're used to mopeds over there.
I own a car, but usually ride my bike around town. I've been hit twice, both times from behind. So be careful and wear a helmet. [/mom]

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
I don't drive. Hell, I hardly leave the house. It's a wonderful living.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Don't worry about driving five miles per hour over the speed limit. Depending on where you live, that could easily be normal. In fact, there are places where that will get people honking at you for being slow!

—Alorael, who is a bad influence on young drivers. And from what he's seen of Italy, city driving has plenty of cars, and it's worse than a bad day in New York even on light traffic days. Rome is terrifying.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1506
Profile #10
Eh, Italy is fine so long as you remember that the car always has the right of way. And if that scares you, just stay in Florence, where the streets aren't wide enough for cars anyhow. IMAGE(Driving (non-spidweb)_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
desperance.net -- Come on in, we don't bite. Well, I don't.
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

Don't worry about driving five miles per hour over the speed limit. Depending on where you live, that could easily be normal. In fact, there are places where that will get people honking at you for being slow!

—Alorael, who is a bad influence on young drivers. And from what he's seen of Italy, city driving has plenty of cars, and it's worse than a bad day in New York even on light traffic days. Rome is terrifying.

You think you're a bad influence? Try having the games "Need for Speed:Hot Pursuit 2", "NASACR Thunder 2003", and "Driver" as your only past experience. (and the little driving games as Chuck e' Cheese.)

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #12
quote:
Paris is equally as bad. Germany is great to drive in as they seem to have such an order about things. The Italians and the French are a bit scarier. Though I've not driven there, just ridden, Cairo is the worst. If you take a taxi, tell him where you're going, duck down, and wait till you're there. It is far too frightening otherwise.

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #13
I have both a driving license and a car. And on the motorways I usually drive at least 20 mph over the limit so I wouldn't worry about your 5. In England you get 7 mph leeway anyway, in case your speedo or the camera is wrong.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #14
Heh. Speedo in the US usually means tiny men's bathing suit, and automated/camera radar traps are for the most part not in use. Cops still have to chase you down to give you a ticket, so the likelihood of you getting a ticket on a highway is very slim.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #15
The police in the US will usually give people a 10 mph leeway. That is unless they are feeling really peevish or are especially bored. I've ridden with cops(in the front, not the back) and this is what all of them do. Over that, you are fair game.

In the Peloponnese in Greece, there are two-laned roads up in the mountains. The slower traffic stays to the outside while the faster pass you on the inside. They pass on hairpin turns! It's crazy...

If you ever get the chance, go out on a flat, straight empty road and open your car up(once you get a license). You wouldn't think it possible that a 20-year old Mercedes Diesal stationwagon could hit 110 mph...

--------------------
Let the soul trading begin.
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #16
Due to budget cuts, there is a 120 mile place on I5 with 2 cop cars. And its even more fun in Washington. I hit the red line in my truck, and was being passed at the same time.

--------------------
I am not really here.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Mangophobia:

I'd be all too happy to learn to drive, if I got to drive a moped. Mopeds are awesome. In Italy, almost nobody drives an actual car--everyone drives a moped. I should live in Italy.[/QB]
Or Finland, especially on the countryside. Most of us happen to have mopeds, and bla bla Finland this and Finland that bla bla.

I wanna be 2 years older! I wanna drive a car god dammit!

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #18
Lucky. You only have to wait two years, and I ahve to wait 3 if at 16, and 5 if at 18...

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #19
Only 6 months for me here.....

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #20
I hate you right now. This means I must take it to my scooter. I'll go and drive it down the cliff.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #21
*haha* Ok.

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #22
Cars disgust me. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I am firm in my belief that the legal drinking age should be earlier than the legal driving age. Maybe it's because I always used to have to bike to school behind lines of the things spewing exhaust in my face. More likely its because my little kitty was run over by a car when I was nine. Rush was my only companion. I've remained friendless since his death. *tears* *nostalgia*

Or because of my father. My father was obsessive about his car. He used to spend every Saturday standing outside washing it. All day. It was the only thing he wasn't a miserly ass about, as well. He spent piles of money on these really luxe numbers. God, he's forced me to hate cars. And vans. And jeeps. And especially SUVs. *remembers oppressed youth*

Sad.

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #23
There making here in NY so that you have to wait 6 months after your 16th birthday to get your driver's licease. Or mabey it's the permit... not sure, but it goes into affect this September.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ugnagnok
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #24
Oww, that sucks. If I can, I'm getting mine the week of my 16th B-Day,and, well, I'd rather not post the rest of this sentance. IMAGE(Driving (non-spidweb)_files/biggrin.gif) (Has to do with my Long-Distance relationship, you do the math) IMAGE(Driving (non-spidweb)_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
Help me out, click Here