Dagorhir Battle Games

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Dagorhir Battle Games
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #0
Dagorhir is an organization that does Dark Ages battle reenactments. Well, they don't just reenact. They make weapons and armor and have big battles, and maybe have a feast afterwards. It's very safe, as long as you follow the rules. There's very specific guidelines as to which weapons are and aren't allowed. For instance, the "blade" of a sword cannot be less than 2 inches wide, or something like that. Here's the website:
Dagorhir Battle Games
I guess I didn't explain it too well, but the website does a good job. It also has links to pages explaining step-by-step how to make weapons, armor, etc.
I just thought some of the people here might find it interesting. It's certainly an improvement over what my cousins and I do- whacking each other with splintering fenceposts carved into the shape of a sword- so I thought it was great. I'm going to try to start my own Dagorhir chapter in Revere, since the closest one is in Northampton, on the other side of the state.

[ Sunday, June 29, 2003 10:12: Message edited by: The Almighty Doer of Stuff ]

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #1
Well, I just might check that out, although I seriously doubt I'm gonna stop doing civil war re-enactments to do that.

But making another sword to play with does sound interesting...

And it was. Good site for people who are really interested in it, but I'm still sticking to the Civil War re-enacting.

[ Wednesday, June 25, 2003 15:04: Message edited by: Lone Flame ]
Warrior
Member # 2000
Profile Homepage #2
That is honestly one of the coolest ideas I have ever seen. Assuming people wouldn't be annoying when doing it and be all like "Nuh Uh, you so didn't hit me" With or without the 'Herald' Judges judging who gets hit and not, there'd still be whiny people...and having a judge walk into the middle of a battle and go "Your dead, not him" would be pretty unrealistic. Either then that I will seriously look into joining one of those. I have sword replicas that could easily be wrapped in enough cloth to render them dangerless.
Not to mention my Archery ability.

--------------------
Since Imban Likes to Edit my Posts ...

... And Drakey likes to edit your signature. Stop it, Ed.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #3
Yeah, it looks really cool, and I'm not all that far from Buffalo...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Lemur Industries:

That is honestly one of the coolest ideas I have ever seen. Assuming people wouldn't be annoying when doing it and be all like "Nuh Uh, you so didn't hit me" With or without the 'Herald' Judges judging who gets hit and not, there'd still be whiny people...and having a judge walk into the middle of a battle and go "Your dead, not him" would be pretty unrealistic. Either then that I will seriously look into joining one of those. I have sword replicas that could easily be wrapped in enough cloth to render them dangerless.
Not to mention my Archery ability.

No, a sword wrapped in cloth is not safe. There's links to webpages on that site that explain how to make basic Dagorhir garb, weapons and armor, though. They're not too expensive, though you'll usually have to order things in bulk if you want a good price. Get some friends who are interested, and split up the costs of the materials. That way, you all get all the junk you need to make the equipment for a good price.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Lone Flame:

Well, I just might check that out, although I seriously doubt I'm gonna stop doing civil war re-enactments to do that.

But making another sword to play with does sound interesting...

And it was. Good site for people who are really interested in it, but I'm still sticking to the Civil War re-enacting.

"You know, I wonder in what way I could do something even more pointless and anachronistic than inaccurately re-enacting minor battles from a heavily propagandised war which occured sixscore years before I was born. I also like using factory-produced, unrealistic swords with which I can pretend I'm a medieval knight and not actually a fat, obsessive geek who has failed to grow out of the 'I'm a knight in shining armour' phase... but now that I think of it, I like inaccurately re-enacting minor battles from a heavily propagandised war better."

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #6
Uh...
Bad. I'm reporting that post. Just because you aren't interested doesn't mean it's pointless. It's a sport. It's not more pointless than baseball or hockey.

--------------------
---------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #7
Civil war re-enactment is not a sport.
And having opinions is against the rules here?

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #8
No it's not, ADoS, please don't be a fool, you know that 1) The mods don't pay much attention to reported posts and 2) They wouldn't do anything about that post either, because while it was offensive, it was not against the CoC. Plus, if I haven't been banned yet, I don't think they're going to do anything to him for stating his opinion.

Custer, please try to keep it down, stay polite, etc. Whether you were right or not is moot; that was a bit offensive and people generally don't like being called fat, obsessive, immature, delusional geeks.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
It's still an archetype I would be surprised if he did not meet. I'll keep it down, though.

[ Friday, June 27, 2003 19:44: Message edited by: General Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #10
Yeah, let the man keep your head in his lap, that's right, boy...

I second the General's opinion.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #11
quote:
From the Code of Conduct:
What constitutes a major transgression for a member:

+ Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member.

It most certainly is against the CoC. Not only that, a major transgression. I recommmend you read it more carefully.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, the swords are not factory produced. You have to make them yourself.

[ Saturday, June 28, 2003 04:04: Message edited by: The Almighty Doer of Stuff ]

--------------------
---------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #12
Are you always this pissy or are you just taking something out on me because I have less than 10 posts?
And is this kind of crap accepted practice here? Christ on a cracker.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
I am going to have to ask you to get off of Drakey's CoC and realize that in a discussion forum, sometimes people will be slightly offensive - the Code of Conduct is designed to keep the boards a nice place to visit, not to protect you from every person who would hurt your feelings in the slightest. This is a discussion board, not a self-help group. Overt flames will be dealt with, but not pointless, tiny things like that.

And plus, Drakey would be upset if he knew you were trying to beat people with his CoC.

[ Saturday, June 28, 2003 08:51: Message edited by: Imban ]
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #14
General, I wish to have your babies. And yes, this is the norm around Spiderweb -- act like a mewling pissant whenever anyone treads on your toes.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #15
I'd like to respectfully point out that 'General Custer' started with the pissyness.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #16
Please will everybody stop acting like spoilt kids?
It's kind of ironic that the person decrying battle re-enactments calls himself General Custer, and also gets all hurt when ADoS yells back at him.
ADoS, please do not be so touchy, ans Varelse, we know who you are and you should know better than fan the flames!

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #17
quote:
From the CoC:
Moderators are expected to uphold the Code of Conduct and warn members about any infraction which they commit. Any major transgression is to be reported on the Moderator Forum, so all moderators and administrators can deal with the member(s).
Imban, you broke the CoC as well. That post by General Custer was extremely offensive to me, not just "slightly offensive". It is up to the person being offended to decide how offensive it is. As I said, that was a major transgression. If Drakefyre does nothing about it, I'm e-mailing Linda.

Oh, and by the way. Thanks, Saunders, but I can't help being touchy when someone insults me that much.

[ Saturday, June 28, 2003 14:56: Message edited by: The Almighty Doer of Stuff ]

--------------------
---------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #18
ADoS? I'm sorry that General Custer calling LF a fat, obsessive geek is extremely offensive to you. Now grow up.

I might have elected to warn him if LF had complained. He did not.

[ Saturday, June 28, 2003 16:25: Message edited by: Imban ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #19
Thank you, Imban.
If this is the sort of behaviour I can expect from anyone who reckons themself a senior member to me, I'm seriously wondering why I joined these boards in the first place :\

[ Saturday, June 28, 2003 16:21: Message edited by: General Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #20
he may be senior in member number and post count, but he definitely is NOT senior in mental age. you have to take these things into account too, you know.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
Thank you, Wise Man, for that very helpful comment. I'm sure that really made matters more settled. That's a warning for a belittling comment that came at the worst possible time.

Custer, you did show up and immediately start with insults. That's not a very good way to make friends here regardless of how many posts you have.

ADoS, sometimes you should let minor insults go. It's not worth pursuing them.

—Alorael, who believes this topic will only get worse. He'll just wait and watch to see how far it sinks before deciding whether a mercy killing is in order.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #22
I'm sorry that I offended ADoS. I'm not sure how I did, but I'm sorry that I did.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #23
sorry Alorael, my bad. i just couldn't resist the great urge to post it. uh, won't happen again. :(

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #24
:rolleyes: If I wanted a comedy of manners, I'd go read Saki or something, OK? What was the original topic again?

Pages