Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic:
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #0
I thought it would be good to consolidate the list of suggestions proposed in this topic. I will edit this list as more ideas are proposed. You can post suggestions either here or in the other topic.

CM = Me (Celtic Minstrel)
ADoS = The Almighty Doer of Stuff

1. (Milla)Fix the acid weapon doubles as living saving charm deal.
  2. (Miramor)The mindduel code appears to check for items that grant magic resistance (ability 75) instead of will (ability 53).
  3. (Crynsos)Fix the Conceal Ability flag so that it actually conceals the ability.
  4. (ADoS,CM)Fix the bug that prevents the use of the small Alien Beast graphic.
  5. (ADoS)Fix recording of dialogue nodes which result from a special node sequence.
  6. (ADoS)Strength Potion cannot be made via Alchemy on Windows?
  7. (Kelandon)Reduce Mac font size so that dialogue is not cut off.
  8. (CM)Also fix the truncated dialogue problem involving the Macintosh string length limit that Windows seems to lack. (I've heard of this bug but not experience it yet.)
  9. (Robsta)Fix masking on custom item graphics in the inventory?
  10. (Miramor)Fix up time passage as per this post and this post.
  11. (CM)Make the variables for gold, food, day, level, etc unsigned so that a roll-over does not leave you in the negative (especially for gold).
  12. (CM)Make an option to disable the editor's automatic placement of terrains. This includes the conforming of cave wall, mountains, water, hills; placing hills around mountains; placing the second half of the 2-space rubbles.
  13. (CM)The Mac resource files have two copies of every resource: one in the data fork and one in the resource fork.
  14. (CM)Make the waterfalls work in town.
  15. (CM)When the party is split up, Affect PC special nodes should only affect the active PC.
  16. (CM)When an item is placed and the Amount/Charges field is filled in with a number other than -1, it has no effect (unless the item is food or gold).
  17. (Miramor,CM)Fix automap updating so that changes in terrain will appear on the automap.
  18. (Milu)When "Custom Scenario" is clicked and then cancelled, the following message appears: "This scenario was created by BoE v2.0 or later and can't be run using this copy..."
  19. (CommonGenius)Apparently the Defence skill rather than the Thrown Missiles skill is checked when firing missile weapons.
  20. (Eschar Blacke)This bug (not sure if it has been fixed or not).
  21. (Milu?)Fix Destroy Items node so that it works for rectangles as well as a single space.
  22. (*i)Apparently event timers are broken.
  23. (novaalpha/Ishad Nha)Custom scenarios not detected in Windows?
  24. Item Stuff(Crynsos)Allow the specification of a missile animation for items. Maybe custom animations too.
  25. (Crynsos)Make it possible to make an item call a scenario special when used. (Implemented)
  26. (Miramor)An item ability to allow the creation of stat boosting/draining potions.
  27. Node Stuff(Arachnid)A special node to check the level in a certain skill. (May have been done already)
  28. (Arachnid,CM)The Edit Statistics node lets you edit any stat except HP or SP. You should be allowed to edit both.
  29. (Miramor)A special node to check for a spell targeted on the space (like the Ritual of Sanctify node).
  30. (Robsta)Concerning the special nodes that check for items: use the 2a and/or 2b fields to check either how many items or how many characters with items.
  31. (ixfd64,CM)A special node that displays a graphic in a dialog window.
  32. Races/Traits(Robsta,CM)Add Pacifist from Exile II.
  33. (Robsta)New trait Fast on Feet or Speedy or something like that.
  34. (Robsta)New Race - Goblin
  35. (Robsta,CM)New Race - Vahnatai
  36. (Robsta)New Race - Ogre
  37. Character Editor(Ishad Nha)Allow the player to add items from the scenario list rather than the default list.
  38. Scenario Editor(Ishad Nha)Allow customization of the toolbar button hotkeys.
  39. (CM)Remove editing restrictions on the first 91 terrain types.
  40. (CM)Allow the designer to resize the outdoors
  41. (CM,Hrothgar)Allow the designer to import an outdoor section
  42. (CM)An optional grid in the terrain editing screen so you can see where the edges of the spaces are.
  43. (Miramor,Thuryl)Increase the maximum values for some of the fields in the monster, item, and (possibly) terrain editor.
  44. (CM)When creating a new scenario, allow a choice of bladbase.exs files.
  45. Major Changes(various)Raise/remove the various arbitrary limits on every aspect of the game - # of terrains, items, monsters, etc.
  46. (CommonGenius)The ability to target spells using letter designators. (So you do not have to resort to the mouse.)
  47. (CM)Allow the Automap window to be resized.
  48. (*i)Campaign Flags
  49. (jockmo42)Teleportation Memory
  50. (*i)Location Specials
  51. Other Minor Changes(Crynsos,CM)Allow the use of custom scenario icons.
  52. (Crynsos)Use the MaidenWork font that comes with it.
  53. (Ishad Nha)Allow custom map icons.
  54. (CM)Mac version: Make the game first try to open a data fork resource file and only upon failing attempt to open a resource fork. If this is not simple it should be moved to the above list.
  55. (Kelandon)Make the Mac version accept BMP graphics files. (done)
  56. (CM)Remove the password-protection option for scenarios.
  57. (CM)Align the labels for checkboxes to the right rather than the left so that it is easier to see which label corresponds to which checkbox.
  58. (SlothMan,CM)Create a Preferences option to increase the size of the terrain view area from 9x9 to 11x11, 13x13, 15x15, etc.
  59. (Dahak)Support movement using the arrow keys rather than the keypad.
  60. (CM)Make the BoE Editor application open a .exs file when it is double-clicked or dragged and dropped on the application icon.
  61. (King InuYasha)Possibly a Linux port?

[*]Probably Bad Ideas
Note: These are listed as "bad" either because they are mine and I think they're bad, because someone else on the board disagreed with them, or because they conflict with what I feel is a better idea.
  1. (Crynsos)Raise the maximums for Character/Monster Stat Points
  2. (CM)New Race - Troglodyte
  3. (Robsta)New Race - Orc
  4. (Robsta)See first half of this post.
  5. (CM)An optional target icon displayed over the central space so you know exactly which space is the central space before pressing num5.
  6. (Robsta)Here's another suggestion, this time about modifying the stairway node - make it that if extra 1a and 1b are set to -1, than place the party in the new town with the same x and y coordinates(it currently puts them at (-1,-1)).

[*]Already Implemented
(links to the threads discussing them; all were implemented by Stareye unless attributed otherwise)
  1. Item Call Global Special Ability
  2. Town Lighting
  3. Party Size?
  4. Has Enough of Species?
  5. Any Barrels or Crates?
  6. Has Enough of Statistic?
  7. Monsters Calling Specials
  8. Affect PC nodes affect monsters
  9. Pointers
  10. Mage and Priest Spell Nodes
  11. Select Random PC
  12. Town Hostile -> Set Attitude
  13. Petrification Touch
  14. (ADoS)Main Menu Scrolling Text
  15. Removal of Node Chain Length Limit
  16. Other Stuff
  17. (Khoth?)Make the Mac version accept BMP graphics files.
  18. (CM)Make the game list more than 20 scenarios, and not list the default 3.
I have ommitted any suggestions that were unclear to me.

[ Sunday, May 11, 2008 09:43: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Make the Mac version accept BMP graphics files.
Already there.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #2
I think that files with an exs extension should be opened in the BoE scenario editor when double-clicked, and also under drag and drop. Currently the editor just ignores these things at launch.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #3
I wonder though, would it be possible for a native Linux port to be created? I think that would be great to see for the game!

--------------------
Open Blades of Exile Cross 32-bit Project
Know any Win16=>Win32 porting resources? Let me know!
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #4
Exile III was ported to Linux, so it may be possible. In the meantime, it runs well enough under WINE.

[ Saturday, November 10, 2007 06:30: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #5
The game itself still says it is shareware, while it is really CPL?/GPL? and it needs to be fixed to lessen confusion.

Also, maybe if the sources were ported to use SDL and wxWidgets, we could get three birds in one stone? wxWidgets supports native UIs for Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows.

SDL is a graphics, audio, and input library that works natively on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

I doubt we will need this, but for the sake of showing it, there is OpenAL, which is a cross-platform audio layer which has the ability to use "3D sounds" (EAX, etc.)

[ Sunday, November 11, 2007 04:24: Message edited by: King InuYasha ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 9013
Profile #6
Porting it all to wxWidgets would be the best way to go, I guess.

I'd be a bit weary of using both SDL and OpenAL though. I'm not speaking as a programmer here, so I could have the wrong idea, but use of both for sound (in one way or another) caused enormous problems for Vega Strike, with sound mixing not working and stuff.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Miramor:

Porting it all to wxWidgets would be the best way to go, I guess.

I'd be a bit weary of using both SDL and OpenAL though. I'm not speaking as a programmer here, so I could have the wrong idea, but use of both for sound (in one way or another) caused enormous problems for Vega Strike, with sound mixing not working and stuff.

Well, I don't think this particular game would have any benefit from OpenAL. I just put that out there as information. I think SDL would still be needed for some of the custom output, unless you were to use wxUniversal (if it is possible to make wxUniversal use those bitmaps). But the problem with wxUniversal is that it looks ugly on all platforms. wxNative (which is what I call the standard toolkit) is better because it integrates with GTK, Aqua, and Win32 + native theming. For those people who use KDE, GTK will look like KDE apps when running under the KDE DE in certain distros (Fedora, SUSE, Mandriva, etc.) but not in others by default (Debian, Ubuntu, etc.)

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #8
Well, I decided to add it to the list in my first post. But I don't think OS integration is a priority here - the game uses a custom dialog engine, so the only titlebars will be OS dependent. (The game window and the map window titlebars). Although I've noticed that on Windows the dialogs also have titlebars.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Celtic Minstrel:

Well, I decided to add it to the list in my first post. But I don't think OS integration is a priority here - the game uses a custom dialog engine, so the only titlebars will be OS dependent. (The game window and the map window titlebars). Although I've noticed that on Windows the dialogs also have titlebars.
Well, the wx stuff would let you get the native Mac OS X UI you want, and the SDL library is important because of the the custom interfaces used in the game. Obviously you cannot use wx for the dialog engine, so SDL would be the logical choice there. This kind of port would make having a separate Mac and Windows codebase pointless since one codebase can build for all the targets. Essentially you modernized the Win32 code, while also providing native Mac OS X support and gaining Linux support. It seems like I am reiterating, but I am stressing what I would consider very important to the road on getting the game fully working on OS X and Windows as well as Linux. Plus, having one codebase would definitely be easier to manage than having two or three separate ones, eh?

Here is a link to a page on combining SDL with wxWidgets.

[ Thursday, November 15, 2007 14:20: Message edited by: King InuYasha ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 9367
Profile #10
Just for verification, could someone post the site with these changes up on this forum, (So I know which version of OBoE has them)

--------------------
I came, I saw, I conquered
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #11
The "Already Implemented" list is the yet-to-be-released version of OBoE. It is available in the darcs repository here, but it's probably not a good idea to design scenarios for it yet as the scenario format is apparently in a state of "being rewritten" (even though development seems to have stopped).
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #12
Added bug from this topic.
Apprentice
Member # 12472
Profile #13
The length of this list makes me wonder.... WHEN/IF all of this is going to be implemented ?!
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #14
Well, Stareye was working on it at one point, and then disappeared. If I had time and could get it to compile and run, I might try to do some of it. (It currently compiles, but when I run it nothing happens.) In particular I was hoping to Carbonize the character editor. That will only help if you use a Mac - I will absolutely not do anything for the Windows version. Khoth carbonized the Mac version, and Ormus ported from Win16 to Win32, but they've disappeared too.

Perhaps I'll look at it over the holidays...
Apprentice
Member # 12472
Profile #15
So you're current maintainer of this treasure? I was hoping that Spiderweb Software is interested in opensource version of it's best game ever... Now I see that chances are slim.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by novaalpha:

So you're current maintainer of this treasure? I was hoping that Spiderweb Software is interested in opensource version of it's best game ever... Now I see that chances are slim.
Eee hee hee, no. Quite the opposite. SW released the source for us to play with because SW isn't interested in maintaining it any more, and hasn't been for some time. SW isn't a charity, after all. If improvements are going to be made, it's up to us to make them.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
BoE is now open-source. I think CM was just saying that the people who were working on it don't appear to be working on it anymore.

EDIT: Thuryl is a minute faster than I.

[ Friday, December 14, 2007 18:01: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #18
quote:

No... no, I wouldn't call myself "maintainer" of the project. If anyone could have been considered "maintainer", it would have been Stareye, but he's been gone from the BoE board for quite some time. I do, however, have some coding experience, and since my exams are now over I think I would like to try working on some stuff. Carbonizing the character editor, in particular.

On the other hand, I may just play through my Avernum games now that I have both the time and the full versions. :D

(Incidentally, does anyone know why it would compile, run, and then quit without doing anything? It exited with status 5, whatever that means...)
Apprentice
Member # 12472
Profile #19
Your contribution will be much appreciated. :) :) :) :) :) :)
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #20
Although I'm not currently actively doing anything with BoE, I'll probably have spurts of interest in it in the future, and in the meantime if you have patches to offer I'll probably accept them into the version I'm hosting.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #21
quote:

Your contribution will be much appreciated. :)
Thanks, but actually my contribution won't really help you much since I use a Mac and you use Windows. I'm not quite sure who would port the Windows character editor – maybe Ormus or Ishad Nha? Only, Ormus has vanished. :/

P.S. Way too many emoticons.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #22
If Ormus has vanished, doesn't that mean that the Win32 version he made is going to get stuck as CPL? That would mean that someone else would have to re-port the whole game to Win32 to get it under GPLv2 licensing.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #23
I just sent him a private message about this. If he hasn't been checking the forum recently, then hopefully he has opted to be notified by email upon recieving a PM. Really all we can do about this is wait, I think.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Celtic Minstrel:

I just sent him a private message about this. If he hasn't been checking the forum recently, then hopefully he has opted to be notified by email upon recieving a PM. Really all we can do about this is wait, I think.
The question now is, how long should we wait before we assume we need to redo the porting process to relicense it? Should we really wait? It has been quite a while since it was announced the change to GPLv2, and BoE/win32 is stagnant since then. Perhaps it should just be redone.

[ Friday, December 21, 2007 17:26: Message edited by: King InuYasha ]

--------------------

Pages