Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic:
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #25
Feel free to redo it. Ormus has not read my message yet, so he either doesn't check his email often or has disabled email notification of private messages. There's not much more that can be done, really. :(
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Celtic Minstrel:

Feel free to redo it. Ormus has not read my message yet, so he either doesn't check his email often or has disabled email notification of private messages. There's not much more that can be done, really. :(
I'm actually attempting to do it. Given that this is my first major C++ project since I designed a tiny math program for a science fair project, I'm having to relearn C++ and find materials on porting from Win16 to Win32. Hopefully, I can additionally ease platform porting by porting some of the interfaces to SDL at the same time. I have also reorganized the source tree to a more logical format so there is no recursive path searching in the sources.

[ Saturday, December 22, 2007 13:47: Message edited by: King InuYasha ]

--------------------
Open Blades of Exile Cross 32-bit Project
Know any Win16=>Win32 porting resources? Let me know!
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #27
I wonder – is there anyone who has access to both a Mac and a Windows compiler? Because porting to SDL (and possibly, as someone suggested, wxWidgets?) is probably a good idea, but would ideally (I think) be done in parallel on the Mac and Windows sources.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #28
quote:

I wonder – is there anyone who has access to both a Mac and a Windows compiler? Because porting to SDL (and possibly, as someone suggested, wxWidgets?) is probably a good idea, but would ideally (I think) be done in parallel on the Mac and Windows sources.
The GNU compilers are the official ones for Mac and Linux, and also available for Windows. It is also the compiler my sources are being tuned for. Specifically, I am using the MinGW GCC 4.2.1-sjlj-2 tech preview version. I'm hoping once I figure out what the heck I am supposed to do, I will set up a Mercurial repository and allow people to work on the sources as well. And I was the one who suggested wx and SDL. I am also pushing for consolidation of the codebase to one tree, so that it is easier to maintain. If there are Mac and Windows developers interested in consolidating the codebases while providing native apps for their respective platforms, I would implore them to help me here, because I am a novice programmer, and I don't really know how to do the complex porting required to move code from raw APIs to encapsulated cross platform APIs. My goal is to try to move sound from MMSystem to SDL because that seems the simplest right now.

[ Saturday, December 22, 2007 15:32: Message edited by: King InuYasha ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #29
I don't know whether this matters at all to you, but Khoth has a darcs repository for the Mac source.

The only reason I say this is that it might make sense to keep them both in the same type of repository.

Also, two Google code projects have been created – one is called oboe, the other blades-of-exile. If the creators of those projects were contacted, and you had a Google account, the source could be moved to their repository. (I think it's Subversion?)

These are just suggestions. Follow them or ignore them as you please.

I'm currently trying to get the Mac character editor to work, and making very little progress. Part of my problem is that, like you, I don't really understand all the API functions (in my case, the Carbon API).

It would probably be simpler (and messier in some sense) if the Mac version switched to a file system more like the Windows version, where each graphic is in a separate file. You could make it look neater though – on the Mac these files could probably be hidden inside a file package (a folder that is treated like a file); on Windows they could perhaps be zipped or something (this would require using zlib though, or something similar).

Maybe someone should do a comparison of the Mac and Windows source to determine which parts are identical.

It would be nice if this were to finally start to progress again. :)
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #30
quote:

I don't know whether this matters at all to you, but Khoth has a darcs repository for the Mac source.

The only reason I say this is that it might make sense to keep them both in the same type of repository.

Also, two Google code projects have been created – one is called oboe, the other blades-of-exile. If the creators of those projects were contacted, and you had a Google account, the source could be moved to their repository. (I think it's Subversion?)

These are just suggestions. Follow them or ignore them as you please.

I'm currently trying to get the Mac character editor to work, and making very little progress. Part of my problem is that, like you, I don't really understand all the API functions (in my case, the Carbon API).

It would probably be simpler (and messier in some sense) if the Mac version switched to a file system more like the Windows version, where each graphic is in a separate file. You could make it look neater though – on the Mac these files could probably be hidden inside a file package (a folder that is treated like a file); on Windows they could perhaps be zipped or something (this would require using zlib though, or something similar).

Maybe someone should do a comparison of the Mac and Windows source to determine which parts are identical.

It would be nice if this were to finally start to progress again. :)

While I do remember about those, I do have a Google account, but I do not wish to use Google's rudimentary system. I didn't want to use SF because of its extremely limited support of DVCSes. And I have worked with a project before using a DVCS. Personally, I find darcs to be lame, and besides, that codebase is for Mac. Most people haven't made a VCS version of the Windows version. Anyways, my tree is in a Mercurial repository for two reasons:

1) Because I always seem to lose track of my files

2) I wanted to allow others to see my tree help contribute to it.

The website is here.
At the website you can find links to various parts of the project, including the source.

Anyone that does want to help with this effort, which would be greatly appreciated, merely register at sharesource.org and send king_inuyasha a private message there requesting developer level access. Also, I would like to know what your skills are in the message. Mac, Linux, and Windows developers are all welcome.

[ Saturday, December 22, 2007 22:41: Message edited by: King InuYasha ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 9013
Profile #31
It would be nicer if the site had some decent bandwidth.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Miramor:

It would be nicer if the site had some decent bandwidth.
Ehh, I got what I could. At least I have a lot of space...

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 9297
Profile Homepage #33
InuYasha, I tried to go to the link in your signature, but it won't open (tries to download a file named "enano"?), and I can't find oboecross32 from the main site. Can you direct me to the appropriate link? I am interested in developing on BoE, on the Windows side. My impression is that most of the current development (what there is of it) is being done on the Mac side; but since presumably all of that work could be ported to Windows, I don't want to duplicate work that has already been done on the Mac.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by CommonGenius.com:

InuYasha, I tried to go to the link in your signature, but it won't open (tries to download a file named "enano"?), and I can't find oboecross32 from the main site. Can you direct me to the appropriate link? I am interested in developing on BoE, on the Windows side. My impression is that most of the current development (what there is of it) is being done on the Mac side; but since presumably all of that work could be ported to Windows, I don't want to duplicate work that has already been done on the Mac.
You might have caught the server at a bad moment. The PHP system on that server is being upgraded at times, and messed with quite often, unfortunately out of my control. The site is supposed to show CMS controlled site with basic info...

Anyways, here is a direct link to sources...

http://hg.sharesource.org/oboecross32/

[ Saturday, January 12, 2008 19:37: Message edited by: King InuYasha ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #35
A few questions:

1. Are you basing all code on the Windows sources? Or are you taking Mac sources into account, too?
  2. What platform are you doing this work on?

Apprentice
Member # 9013
Profile #36
Hey, just another suggestion I thought of... It might be good to increase some of the limits on the scenario editor, a la the infamous "super editor". I realize that such functionality won't (and shouldn't) often be used; but in order to create tough monsters that aren't immune to everything, you have to give them skill levels well above the range possible with the unmodified editor.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #37
Can you be more specific? It sounds like you're advocating an increase in the maximum possible value allowed in the various fields for Items and Monsters.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
quote:

Can you be more specific? It sounds like you're advocating an increase in the maximum possible value allowed in the various fields for Items and Monsters.
That's correct. 2500 HP is usually enough for anybody, but a maximum of 40 Skill isn't nearly enough: by blessing enough, it's possible to make sure that even monsters with 40 Skill will almost always miss the PCs.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #39
So, is there a list of fields that should have a higher maximum?

Edit: It's added to the list.

[ Tuesday, January 15, 2008 04:59: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #40
Perhaps all limits should be raised to the maximum allowed by the BoE program itself.

Incidentally, I know the Bonus attribute for Items already goes up to 60 in the editor despite the item editing window saying that it goes up to 10. If you enter an out of range value it tells you in an error that it can go up to 60 though.

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #41
If I recall correctly, there was also a bug in which the maximum was less than in claimed to be – probably because it was stored in a variable that was too small to hold the maximum value.

I think it was the Special Class field?
Warrior
Member # 6096
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
I think it was the Special Class field?
No, it's the Type Flag field, I think. When you put 999 into it, it changes into a smaller number.

[ Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:14: Message edited by: *Milu* ]
Apprentice
Member # 9013
Profile #43
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

That's correct. 2500 HP is usually enough for anybody, but a maximum of 40 Skill isn't nearly enough: by blessing enough, it's possible to make sure that even monsters with 40 Skill will almost always miss the PCs.

Bingo.

[SPOILERS FOLLOW]

The best example of this I can think of is Barcoorah's Revenge - it contained monsters that had very high skill levels but were not magic-immune, which made for interesting battles that required some thought on what spells to use. Also, it made the endboss comparatively nastier, since it was magic-immune.

[/SPOILERS]

I would go so far as to say that this should be a rule of thumb for scenario design - only very powerful or very strange monsters should have full magic immunity. It would help a lot of scenarios avoid hackfest moments, and give players a nasty shock when they finally did find something they couldn't use curses on. The problem is, without the limits on the Editor being raised, this wouldn't be applicable to high-level scenarios.

[ Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:09: Message edited by: Miramor ]
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #44
quote:

A few questions:

1. Are you basing all code on the Windows sources? Or are you taking Mac sources into account, too?
  2. What platform are you doing this work on?

In order
  1. Yes, Windows sources.
  2. Yes, but in a special way. If the porting goes as outlined in the main page of the website, then automatically the sources will be Mac OS X compatible.

[ Wednesday, January 16, 2008 20:17: Message edited by: King InuYasha ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 9013
Profile #45
He's using WxWidgets to make a cross-platform version of OBoE - since WxWidgets uses different (compatible) code on various platforms, OBoE-cross32 can use the same code everywhere.

That's how I think it works anyway. :D
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #46
*bump*

Because this thread should be kept reasonably visible.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #47
January 15:
It is the Type Flag, this is an unsigned char (according to the source file global.h) thus it has permissible values from 0 through 255 only. Thus the "0 - 1000" mentioned by the Scenario Editor is wrong.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #48
Custom item graphics, the documentation says that 150 is added to the custom graphic sheet slot number to give the graphic number. In practice it seems to be 200, and the item graphic number is "char", hence has a maximum value of 255.

This problem seems to occur only when items with custom graphics are sold in shops. There is no apparent problem when the item is placed on the ground by the scenario editor.
Edit: it does not seem to affect item graphics once the item is actually bought and appears in the PC's inventory. It is only when the item is being displayed for sale.

[ Monday, May 05, 2008 20:30: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]
Apprentice
Member # 9013
Profile #49
The OBoEcross32 site is gone. I get a strong impression that King InuYasha has quit on us.

(Would that I knew my way around C++...)

Pages