Nethergate gets no love!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Nethergate gets no love!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #0
Why is it that Nethergate, a game I would consider one of Spidweb's best, get no topics in it's forum!? :(

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Warrior
Member # 4230
Profile #1
Probably because it is such a good game and so well made that nobody has any real questions and none feel the deed to discuss things in order to try and figure them out.

Then again I could be wrong.

Sorry if that sounded bad, I am just in a really good mood and willing to play around. My copy of Nethergate just arrived today! Along with Blades of Avernum and the entire Exile Trillagy! Yay! Not sure if Nether will run on my current computer, I don't have my desktop in college with me so I am using a VERY old laptop, but once I get home I am going to fire it up and beat some celtic rear! :)

--------------------
If Magic is your crutch, cast it off and walk without.
Diablo 1 Manual

Truth is good manners, manners are a fiction.
Mark Twain
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #2
I'm all but certain that Nethergate will work. I run on a PC that's so old, that it could be defined as an antique and Nethergate works fine for me.

The main reason why there aren't any topics is that Nethergate is the sort of game which makes you want to work out each puzzle on your own, to make it your achievement. The only topics we really have is where someone is either really stuck or has found something odd or new.

Oh yes, w00t for me also! I got the Avernum Trilogy today! Here come many hours of anti-productivity!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Nethergate is the overlooked, underrated, and wonderful gem of Spiderweb Software. I suppose it's not popular among septuagenarian eskimoes.

—Alorael, who has found fewer stupid and brain-boggling puzzles in Nethergate. There are very few "pure" puzzles. The riddles in the Vale of the Sould and a certain Puzzle Box are the ones that come to mind.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #4
Ohh, the puzzle box. That reminds me, just what did the puzzle box do? I found it, but never saw any reference to it again.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #5
I don't believe it does anything at all. When asked about it, JV couldn't remember what its purpose was, either. The same goes for Pearlblossom.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #6
Presumably, Pearlblossom was the start of a side-quest concerning the Castle that either never got in or no-one has stumbled on to it. Something like tracking down who the thief of the earrings was and battling some undead creature to get them back and break her curse.

I may be wrong about this, but it'd make sense.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Pearlblossom's story is vaguely reminiscent of a fairy tale (or faerie tale) I may or may not have heard once. Pearlblossom wasn't the name in the story, though, so I can't easily google it and figure it out.

—Alorael, who is convinced that the Puzzle Box is some humor tossed in at the player's expense. It would be funnier if it weren't in a weird, easy to miss place.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #8
Regarding Pearlblossom, I thought I found a clue once: Manius Volta, the merchant in Vanarium, brags about how he managed to steal something from Castle Aethedoc. When I first saw this, I immediately through of Pearlblossom, but I couldn't make any further progress with it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #9
Perhaps it really was a quest at one point, and it was cut for some strange otherwordly reason? When I played Nethergate for the first time I beleived you had to save Pearlblossom from her curse, but then I could never find anything to follow it up. It could be a way for Mr. Vogel to mess with our minds...

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
No one in Vanarium responded to "Pearlblossom, "earrings," or "Aethdoc" (in an interesting way). Well, nobody responded to the first four letters of those keywords...

—Alorael, who even tried threatening Manius with crystal wands. No more information, though zapping him was viscerally satisfying.
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #11
I thought Nethergate was ok, but it was incredibly short. Why was that? I beat both sides in less than three days. The end came so quickly that it was kind of disappointing.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #12
I'd have to say Nethergate was the best demo of JV's I'd ever played. One, cause it's a great game, two, cause it's like getting two demos in one (Romans and Celtics) and three, I was really bored at the time.

Unfortunately I've yet to buy the real thing, though.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #13
i do beleicve findign someones earigns once, but i never found teh person they got to... and anotehr odd thing ive noticed is the weird alter with the stick bowl and somethig else on it where ytou can put stuff down, but only certain stuff, which ive only found once and that wasn't even me playing. But teh puzelbox is by far the most evilest thign in all Spidweb Exsistance

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
There are earrings all over the place, but there's no apparent use for them. None seem to be the pair Pearlblossom lost.

The item you put on the junk altar is the spiral horn carving. You get a reward for it, but I forget what.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #15
Must admit, I do not beleive I have ever found the puzzlebox. But after hearing how everyone is mad because they can not find it's purpose, then, perhaps, not finding it and becoming engrossed in the "crusade", is a good thing. Just my two cents as they say...

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
It's in Reptrakos' hoard. You can nab it without making the dragon angry if you have something (the Nimble Fingers trait, high dexterity, or something like that), and you'll get Sylak's Nourishing Bowl too.

—Alorael, who actually likes that item. It's one of the few Sylak items worth having, and it's a literal lifesaver in Annwn.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #17
I heard somewhere that Skylak's Dice make you win against the gambling goblins every time. Is this true?

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #18
Yup. The goblins in question are just south of the river on the right hand side of the main map next that is just south of Nethergate.

But you only get something like 5 gold a time.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
Actually, if you try to gamble with the goblins using Sylak's Dice, they just attack you. The dice are good for winning 100 gold off the gambling soldiers in Hollow Hills, though.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #20
Ohhhh..... What about those weirdo's at the outpost "watching for Romans" and whenever you go near them they have a party. Can I gamble with them?

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!