How to raise skills when level.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How to raise skills when level.
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #0
Can't seem to find the menu that allows me to use my available skill points.
(E2)

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 23:42: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Soya-Kaas cheeses have dairy in them!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #1
There's someone in Formello who can identify items.

Unfortunately, Dikiyoba can't remember his name.
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #2
[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 23:42: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #3
You need a trainer to increase your skills. There's one in Fort Draco who, for a small fee, does offer that service to you. I've forgotten how E2 handles the procedure. If it is the same as in E1, ask 'train' and a menue pops up that lets you choose the character you want to buy the training for. Alternatively you can just click on 'buy' in the dialogue window.

Not every town offers training, just as not every town has a sage who identifies your stuff, or a fletcher to get new arrows, or an alchemist to stock up on potions.

edit: seems you found out on your own while I got me a coffee, but I let the post stand as it is :)

[ Monday, October 23, 2006 00:00: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by ef:

You need a trainer to increase your skills. There's one in Fort Draco who, for a small fee, does offer that service to you. I've forgotten how E2 handles the procedure. If it is the same as in E1, ask 'train' and a menue pops up that lets you choose the character you want to buy the training for. Alternatively you can just click on 'buy' in the dialogue window.

Not every town offers training, just as not every town has a sage who identifies your stuff, or a fletcher to get new arrows, or an alchemist to stock up on potions.

edit: seems you found out on your own while I got me a coffee, but I let the post stand as it is :)

That sux. I know that trainer in Draco. Tho he isn't terribly expensive,but early on it is costly. Used all my coin to train 5/6 guys.
Strange to have to pay to train when ine levels.

--------------------
How786

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Some skills are more expensive than others. In fact, some are free in terms of cash (Luck). The cost becomes much less onerous later.

—Alorael, who considers trainers yet another reason to talk to everyone in every town exhaustively. You never know when you might need a little bit more aptitude.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #6
How, when Alorael asked you to edit your posts, he didn't mean that you'd have to delete previous content and edit in new content all the time. He was just asking you not to doublepost. There are very young members on this board who'd probably triple- and quadruplepost without thinking much about it, if the mods didn't insist on editing.

[ Monday, October 23, 2006 09:40: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
It's better not to remove any old post material entirely just so the thread doesn't stop making sense. As it is there's an answer to question that doesn't exist anymore.

—Alorael, who also views entirely empty posts as an opportunity. When life hands you a blank slate (metaphorically) and the power to edit it (literally) that just may be a sign.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Skills cost the same amount at each trainer - there's no difference.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #9
quote:

How, when Alorael asked you to edit your posts, he didn't mean that you'd have to delete previous content and edit in new content all the time. He was just asking you not to doublepost. There are very young members on this board who'd probably triple- and quadruplepost without thinking much about it, if the mods didn't insist on editing.
Gotcha. Thanks.

--------------------
How786

Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by How:

That sux. I know that trainer in Draco. Tho he isn't terribly expensive,but early on it is costly. Used all my coin to train 5/6 guys.

Ever hear of scavenging to get cash? When I need money in any Exile game, I'll take anything that I can (even by stealing) and sell it. Therefore, my coin purse runneth over, and I rarely need money.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

quote:

Ever hear of scavenging to get cash? When I need money in any Exile game, I'll take anything that I can (even by stealing) and sell it. Therefore, my coin purse runneth over, and I rarely need money.

Hear ya but I find that most of the items I get have no value at shops. Can't sell them.
<S>

--------------------
How786

Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #12
quote:

Hear ya but I find that most of the items I get have no value at shops. Can't sell them.

Some shops will only buy certain items (an armor merchant that will only buy armor, etc.), and junk dealers will usually give you cash for just about anything. Also, as I said before, I'm not above theft to get something valuable to sell; when I'm strapped for cash, it will sprout legs if there's nobody watching it.

Even if something is worth only 1 gold, I'll sell it. If something you pick up is truly worthless, it's normally a good idea to just go and dump it somewhere where you know it'll disappear, so you don't pick it up again.

And if you're truly in dire straits for money, there's always the character editor...

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #13
Some shops will only sell and not buy, some only buy the kind of stuff they sell (if they sell weapons, they'll buy weapons from you, but not armour), some buy all the stuff you have. There should be two shops keepers close to the trainer in Fort Draco who'll buy weapons and armour from you, for everything else you'll have to wait until you reach Formello.

edit: The Mystic was faster

[ Tuesday, October 24, 2006 12:36: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
Also, you can only sell items that have been identified.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #15
quote:

Some shops will only sell and not buy, some only buy the kind of stuff they sell (if they sell weapons, they'll buy weapons from you, but not armour), some buy all the stuff you have. There should be two shops keepers close to the trainer in Fort Draco who'll buy weapons and armour from you, for everything else you'll have to wait until you reach Formello.

Thanks EF. I've been there but they don't seem to want much of the basic weapons/armor that I've found and would like to sell. At least, no value shows up next to those items when I click on SELL. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

[ Tuesday, October 24, 2006 19:23: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
Are you sure you've identified them? Yes, you have to identify things as boring as ordinary arms and armor if you don't have much Item Lore.

—Alorael, who hopes you don't mind losing a few gold on every identification before making any profit whatsoever.
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by SkrOH:

Are you sure you've identified them? Yes, you have to identify things as boring as ordinary arms and armor if you don't have much Item Lore.

—Alorael, who hopes you don't mind losing a few gold on every identification before making any profit whatsoever.

I believe that is the problem. I'd given several of my party of 6, 1 level of Item Lore but I guess not enuf. How many must have it for me to ID these simple items? Also, I don't remember seeing anyone in Draco who can ID things.
SIGH
A bit frustrated.........
Thanks for your help, tho.

--------------------
How786

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
Item Lore isn't very reliable; I never bother to get any. You're better off finding a sage to identify your items for you; most towns have one.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #19
quote:
most towns have one
That's his problem. Fort Draco hasn't. You'll get your things identified in Formello later on.

Well, a low level party is a low level party. Not every one needs the best of weapons and armour right away. There is a lot of stuff you can do just wearing leather armour and wielding a bronze sword. If your pole fighter feels stuck with his stone tipped spear, he'll have to wait and learn to make the best use of it.

You don't need that much money right away. Collect the coins your enemies drop; buy little, you'll find most of the things you'll need; train a little, if you can afford it. Everything else comes with time.

edit: remember to bless and hasten at least one of your fighters, have one mage know 'fireball', and your priest cast 'wound'. That helps.

[ Tuesday, October 24, 2006 23:48: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #20
Thanks for the continued useful advice guys! I don't mean to be such a noob about these matters. I've just really been puzzled.

[ Wednesday, October 25, 2006 00:48: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #21
quote:

I was? That's weird, because I'm not known for speed.

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Thanks for the reminder; I forgot all about that! I haven't played the Exile/Avernum series games for a while, and being kind of the "old man" around here (at least in terms of age--check my profile to see what I mean), sometimes my brain doesn't work right. I also have a VERY old-school RPG that I went back to for a while, where you don't necessarily need stuff identified to sell it.
quote:

I don't mean to be such a noob about these matters.
No problem, we've all been there. Unlike you, I didn't know about this forum at the time, and had to learn everything on my own. I'm just glad I got the hint books when I registered, or I'd still be somewhat lost.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
It's not nice to talk about a lady's age, but I'm pretty sure ef has you beaten there.

—Alorael, who can think of quite a few older Spiderwebbers. They're not always the ones you expect. Evol lurks in mysterious places.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #23
quote:
ef has you beaten there
*chuckles* She has indeed. By a quarter of a centaury.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

quote:

I was? That's weird, because I'm not known for speed.

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Thanks for the reminder; I forgot all about that! I haven't played the Exile/Avernum series games for a while, and being kind of the "old man" around here (at least in terms of age--check my profile to see what I mean), sometimes my brain doesn't work right. I also have a VERY old-school RPG that I went back to for a while, where you don't necessarily need stuff identified to sell it.
quote:

I don't mean to be such a noob about these matters.
No problem, we've all been there. Unlike you, I didn't know about this forum at the time, and had to learn everything on my own. I'm just glad I got the hint books when I registered, or I'd still be somewhat lost.

Yeah..I did register and pay for the CD and hint book a few days ago. I guess it's otw. I love supporting such fine independant work! These guys deserve every penny.

--------------------
How786

Pages