Different enough to buy?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Different enough to buy?
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #0
I got into this shareware only two years ago and started playing Avernum 1, at first I did not like the games but they grew and I came to love them.

Later I discovered that they are, if you will, "remakes" of the Exile series. My question is, are they different enough to buy, or are there parts to the story that are explained in Exile and not Avernum?

Add: I'm asking about Exile not Avernum.

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #1
The story is more or less the same, but gameplay is significantly different, and many people, myself included, prefer Exile's setup to Avernum's. I suggest you check out one of the demos and see if you agree.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Shock Trooper
Member # 60
Profile #2
Heh... I did a very nice rant in favor of the old-school Exile. It's on the Avernum boards, go check it out for the primary differences.

--------------------
"Insanity is okay, but stupidity is inexcusable." -Kenda Nicole Brand

Jacob say, "Man who smoke pot, choke on handle." -Jacob Doran
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #3
YOU COULD USE AN ANTI-MAGIC FIELD SPELL?!?! I heard Exile had a larger selection of spells, but was told most served no purpose. But if there is an anti-magic spell, then it already sounds great. *I haven't had much of a chance to test Exile yet*

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #4
The best part about Exile is that you have a HUGE spellbook of interely useless spells. Sometimes I'll try a new spell like venom arrows, or Slow Group...

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
The Exile games have a huge selection of spells. Some are the workhorses like Fireball, Long Light, Unlock, and the other assorted standard healing, buffing, and damaging spells. But there were also things like Conflagration, which can be better than Flame (the Bolt of Fire equivalent, only pathetic), field spells (including null field), spells to create magic barriers, and the always fun Quickfire.

No, not all of the spells are useful, but some niche spells have their moments of glory, and there are a surprising number of overlooked but really great spells. Just having fields and areas of effect (along with a few multiple target spells) gives the Exile spell system more spice.

—Alorael, who can't argue that the Avernum spells compare with Exile's. Exile wins hands-down. More variety, more fun, and 100% more gratuitous destruction by Quickfire. You have to love the Ermarian equivalent of the small nuclear weapon.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #6
Since Exile is simpler, north is actually up, the BoE editor is easier to use, you can have 6 people in your party, and the demos files are smaller and therefore take less time to download, I say that if you haven't tried Exile, definately do.

--------------------
-ben4808
Member # 95
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Slasher:

The best part about Exile is that you have a HUGE spellbook of interely useless spells. Sometimes I'll try a new spell like venom arrows, or Slow Group...
Slow Group is actually one of the more underrated spells in the game, especially in outdoor combat. For 4 SP, everything within 12 spaces misses every other turn. Definitely more bang for the buck than any other level 4 spell.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 60
Profile #8
Curse All is also wonderful. Once you get the mage version of Ravage Enemy, however, they both become relatively obsolete.

--------------------
"Insanity is okay, but stupidity is inexcusable." -Kenda Nicole Brand

Jacob say, "Man who smoke pot, choke on handle." -Jacob Doran
Apprentice
Member # 5064
Profile #9
Still you can't beat the fun of Quickfire :D
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #10
Don't forget the Force Barriers. They come in handy SO much, At the begging of the Golem Factory I used force barrier to trap those pesky golems in their nice little cubbyholes.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #11
Firestorm!

Just walk up to a bunch of monsters, see 8 spell points fry them to a crisp, and then laugh your head off---menacingly. :D

Repeat.

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 5064
Profile #12
What about Avatar a really cool priest spell and very handy :D
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #13
Divine Thud-
:cool: YEAH-YEAH
or even the unresistable Wound was a nice priest spell. With six level 50 priests you could kill Rentar Ihrno with it. Oh the fun fun fun. If/when jeff does come out with A4, better spells is one of the things that I would dearly love to see.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Member # 95
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by m's devotee:

Divine Thud-
:cool: YEAH-YEAH
or even the unresistable Wound was a nice priest spell. With six level 50 priests you could kill Rentar Ihrno with it. Oh the fun fun fun. If/when jeff does come out with A4, better spells is one of the things that I would dearly love to see.

Really? Wound never did any damage to Rentar for me, even though the game always showed a "1" on the battle view. I had to kill her other ways.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
And those ways are?

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
Tedious bludgeoning.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #17
That sounds nice, if horribly evil. I will have to wait till I get through E1 and E2 before E3. I went through Avernum out of order and I regret it, just a little anyway. But it will be fun to kill that alien like freak...

Which raises another question for me, does Lady Erika die in Exile? Or does she avoid horrible death by means of UV rays?

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #18
UV rays????
You must know nothing of Erika. Erika was not cursed and thrown into Exile needing the sun. She was cursed to never be able to live on the surface again, because the sun would kill her. My guess is that UV rays, wouldn't have much better an effect...

--------------------
I love stupid people acting smart...
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #19
I am sorry, I typed that sentence and now I look like a fool. I meant, "does she escape death by UV rays?" I can lose my head, even when talking about the coolest person ever in a game. But, my question still stands. Die, or not die? What may be the answer?

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Spoiler, obviously... and the answer is yes and no, depending on a certain decision you make in E3.

—Alorael, who would say that the answer is more yes than no simply because most people choose the lethal option and because Erika's death has become part of the Exile/Avernum unofficial history.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Member # 95
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by burglar ben:

And those ways are?
Trade secret, Benny. :P It's really not worth the time and effort, to be honest.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #22
Not got that far yet, but surely in A3, it could be possible to kill Rentar through extremely liberal utilisation of the editor? Put your strength etc up to max, punch up your level and go.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #23
In A3, it is far simpler to acquire a Basilisk in your Soul Crystal and use that to one-hit Rentar, from what I have heard.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Bah, that is far easier than what I did. You can't just hit her with maxed stats, because no matter what your stats are, you'll end up doing no more than three or four damage per hit, and she starts healing herself at a certain point. But what I did (and this took forever, and Imban's plan sounds much better) is Forcecage her, wait for it to wear off, then hit her with three Cloud of Blades spells, and use the last mage to Forcecage her again before she could move.

This required four magic-users with incredibly high Dexterity (and a LOT of patience), though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages