Idea for realsing creations

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Idea for realsing creations
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #0
On creations that you created you have the options of developing it should it have skill points or asorbing it. Another option should be to realse it. If you realse a creation you would have no control over it. It would become rouge and go hostil against the first thing that approachs it. If you realse a creation you don't get the essence from it but it doesn't lower your totale essnce you can have. It would be good if you wanted to repoulate an area with rouges say if you want to train your chacter more. Or to harass a very powerful enemy.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
quote:
It would be good if you wanted to repoulate an area with rouges say if you want to train your chacter more. Or to harass a very powerful enemy.
I wouldn't have it reward experience. I could also see it being an AI controlled character after releasing it as workable.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I kinda like this idea.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
Dikiyoba would like to be able to release creations as well, purely for role-playing reasons. Only Dikiyoba would rather release them and have them go neutral, instead of friendly or hostile.
Warrior
Member # 5118
Profile #4
Can we release a creation? How?

It would be fun to releace some strong creations and make some of them hostiles. then i can have fun being in a battle

Mawhuahaahaha!!! Put them in the friendly town and watch the people there suffer

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 03:07: Message edited by: felix ]

--------------------
This apple? no. That apple? no. What about that orange? no. "What DO YOU WANT!!!!" 'Wink' "I want the apple you are eating."
Warrior
Member # 5118
Profile #5
Quote:
On creations that you created you have the options of developing it should it have skill points or asorbing it. Another option should be to realse it. If you realse a creation you would have no control over it. It would become rouge and go hostil against the first thing that approachs it. If you realse a creation you don't get the essence from it but it doesn't lower your totale essnce you can have. It would be good if you wanted to repoulate an area with rouges say if you want to train your chacter more. Or to harass a very powerful enemy.

Ahhh!!! or make them friend ly and conquer the whole town if you can create servile, especially if they can be warrior

--------------------
This apple? no. That apple? no. What about that orange? no. "What DO YOU WANT!!!!" 'Wink' "I want the apple you are eating."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
What does "realse" mean?

Edit: Somehow I failed to see half a page of posts.

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 06:53: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #7
I believe he meant "releasing". If you see a word not understandable, just word-scramble. i myself have alot of practice in this. And is useful for things, such as forums where people fail to spell correctly.

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by Arancaytar:

quote:
What does "realse" mean?
Santa: No, gaurdian, realsing creations is not a good thing. They go rouge.

Dikiyoba.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #9
*shoos away the Thing again

I kind of like this idea too, but it needs some limits. You certainly shouldn't get experience from the creatures. Some funny new kind of AI would be needed to make them behave reasonably: they might hate you, or still like you, or just try to escape from you. They might be aggressive against anything near, or passive or trying to hide.

Also I think they should have a sharply limited life span. This has never been spelled out by Jeff, but I have always had the idea that the reason for anyone to invest in the various big vats and labs that we always see is that growing creations in vats is the only way to make them really independent. Creatures formed from essence alone, as by spawner or by the PC, must (it seems to me) dissipate after some time, if they are not deliberately maintained (at a cost against your maximum essence).

All this could be built in, though it would be a fair amount of work and would take a lot of testing. The result might be interesting and useful a few times. I see no reason to try to squeeze this feature into G4, but maybe it would be something for G5 or G6.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #10
If you could not gain experience from the creation or reabsorb it for essence, why release it? Sure, you could carry some essence pods/potions/whatever so you could make lots of little rogue creations, but could that really be useful if you had no control whatsoever over it?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
It could kill things for you/trigger mines/wreak havoc without you getting in danger or needing to maintain it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I've definitely noticed that the whole sacrificial lamb through the minefield doesn't work anymore, so that's out. Really, I can't see what the point of releasing creations would be. Either it would provide a temporary army for you, which seems interesting but abusable, or it would be worthless.

—Alorael, who definitely has experienced the frustrations of walking his thahd back and forth through the apparently deadly minefield only to notice that those clever shapers have finally worked out a solution to the suicide thahd. Alas!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
Jeff warned that he was changing tool use and minefields. Now you have to do it the old fashioned way and risk yourself.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #14
While it sounds potentially useful to create a rogue army, whose members I think by definition are still very hostile to their creator, I doubt it would be worth the essence to shape a creation that would be less effective in combat than an equivalent one you could control.

[ Friday, August 11, 2006 08:49: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #15
Well the idea would make essence pods more valuable. If you worried about unbalanceing the game you could make essence pools harder to access. I agree the life span sould be minimized. They should fade away after you leave the map. Another way is that the amount of endurance deterime how long the creation last. Also how much intelegence you give your creature should determine its AI. Creatures with a lot of intelegence tend to heard stuipder creations and have hostile tendencys once realeased toward every thing in general (execpt what they may be hearding). Stuiped creations would be more likely to be neutral. Any chacter (doesn't matter if you created or not) with enough intelegence can take control over a creation you realse. You should also be able temporay inlist creations made by spawners. Said creations would not count toward your total possible creations, disappear when you leave the map and loyalty would depend on your intelgence, their injuries, the number of oppents and, what ever mental spells your enemy may use.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #16
That does sound intriguing, but of course too complicated to be put into the next game. Historically, it can be said that Jeff does not do "revolutionary."

If anything, I think that implementing a true way to capture a rogue creation -- which may be an NPC, spawned creation, or one of your own -- for a short while would quickly give rise to being able to release creations. I feel a main, non-destructively unbalanced way to use these rogues would be in a battle where you want to temporarily have many, many creations on your side, with possibly some under your direct control. Those not considered a part of your party, being captured rogues, would easily change sides. I believe this would allow this type of large-scale battle to occur while preserving gameplay balance.

--------------------
====
====
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #17
quote:
If anything, I think that implementing a true way to capture a rogue creation -- which may be an NPC, spawned creation, or one of your own -- for a short while would quickly give rise to being able to release creations.
Basically this is sort of like charming, but more complicated.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7374
Profile #18
maybe in g4 we should be alowed to choose if we want to be good or bad from the start, if we choose to be bad we should be able to make spawners and things that create thier own little monsters to wreak havoc on any nearby towns, and as you go along you should be able to make a few really powerful spawners sort of like bosses? just an idea.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Killing everything that moves already isn't all that challenging by the end of Spiderweb games. You don't need spawners. Besides, the games make it seem like spawners are a little beyond the spontaneous shaping that Geneforge protagonists use.

—Alorael, who gets the feeling in A4 that being a bad guy is easy. It's being a good guy that takes effort.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
If even accomplished Shapers have problems making spawners, what can a non-shaper hope to do?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #21
I never suggested makeing spawners. I was suggesting that you be able to release creatable creations and take control of npcs with a low leadership skill compared to you.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
No, but Armed_Defender suggested making spawners.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #23
prehaps we should be able to use vats. They would create more stable creations. It would use up less essnces. You could make more things such as servant minds, serviles, liveing tools, spawners, turrets and other complex creations as well as normal creations. It would take awhile to make a creation this way. Time could be detirme by actual playing time, areas cleared/travel or combination of both. Creations created in a vat would be permenat if release in to area. Also the would give much less essence if asorbed.

P.S. can anyone come up with an idea for what a servile or servant mind could be used for.

[ Sunday, August 13, 2006 16:35: Message edited by: Lord Safey ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
Servant minds are immobile. So are turrets. So, for that matter, are spawners. That makes them all useless to the adventuring life. Being able to create living tools would make Unlock useless and mechanics rather less useful.

—Alorael, who still doesn't see what releasing creations is supposed to add. If the game were organized around it, maybe it would work, but that's not how Geneforge has been set up.

Pages