That's my baby!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: That's my baby!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #0
So I haven't been on these boards for a while, but now that I come back to Geneforge 4, I see that it includes "Infiltrator" as a player class. That was my idea! I don't know if that's why Mr. Vogel used it - in fact, it's unlikely - but I'm thrilled that it was implemented!

I may be a little late asking ... Anyone else get what they want?

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

So I haven't been on these boards for a while, but now that I come back to Geneforge 4, I see that it includes "Infiltrator" as a player class. That was my idea! I don't know if that's why Mr. Vogel used it - in fact, it's unlikely - but I'm thrilled that it was implemented!

I may be a little late asking ... Anyone else get what they want?

Eh... sure. Alwan and Greta, G3, were supposedly my idea. Although, he just changed the Agent name to Infiltrator, not really a big change.

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #2
What I would like to see is the sixth possible combination: weak on combat, strong on magic and average on shaping.
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #3
Its not happening because:
a)Jeff doesn't feel like making extra character graphics.
b)A build like that would be wayyyyyy overpowered because magic complemnets shaping very well.
c)In order to balance out the character, Jeff would have to make that character with next to zero hitpoints or a huge reduction in essence and spell energy. Just to see how powerful magic alone is check this out.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #4
a) Jeff doesn't make the characters graphics.

b) and c) This assumes that everyone plays with the same skill level. I hate that people always whine about overpowered characters. Such things really only matter in multiplayer games when the classes are pitted against each other. If someone want a challenge in a single player game, they can pick a different character. Not everyone is a masochist.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #5
Well said. Overpowered characters just aren't a problem. Take Avernum for example. Whats more rigged then the character editor?

--------------------
A duke is just a duke but you see, I am "The Duke"
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #6
Well I had just seen the screenshots when I posted that. Apparently, "infiltrator" doesn't mean anything new. I figured it would specialize in mechanics and stealth.

Anyway, here's another one ... Some characters are named after alchemists from what I can see: Tycho and Crowley, for instance. Now this idea I never put down where other people could see it, but Tycho was the main character's name in an RPG I was writing, and all the other characters were named after alchemists. D'oh! I think Crowley was just a town leader, but damn it he was in there. Other cool names include Agrippa, Aquinas, Dante, Adelard, Magnus ...

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 536
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

<snip>Other cool names include Agrippa, Aquinas, Dante, Adelard, Magnus ...[/QB]
I just logged in for the first time in years to find that my name is cool. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #8
Names mean little, particularly obvious ones. When I first came to Spiderweb, I went by Mark Greenwood. Obviously, I didn't take credit for the naming of Greenwood Island in G3.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #9
I'm not taking credit either, you know. I'm aware that my thinking of an alchemist's name did not invoke Mr. Vogel to read my mind and steal my ideas.

I just finished the game for the first time, and I have several comments that I will append without thinking about it.

"Shapers are generally fond of ... snappy jackets" ?

I went for a blessing and battle magic-heavy rebel infiltrator, although my melee weapons skill ended up being really high. Anyway, I ended up using ice bolt on everything. All creations seem to be weak against ice. Glaahks and Wingbolts are especially resilient to everything except ice.

I only crafted one item, the purified leggings, essence-infused iron, and blood poison that give you a big melee weapons boost. I tried to make a wand of some kind with a spray crystal and perfect drayk scale, but it wouldn't work! I got the recipe somewhere like Shaftoe's or Eliza's barracks. I was unsure whether to use a stick or board, so I tried both. I couldn't do any two of the ingredients at once, either. Did I just make a mistake remembering what to put in? Spray crystal, perfect drayk scale, stick (or board). I don't even know what it was supposed to make.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
For all your recipe needs, try this thread.

Dikiyoba thought the jacket line was odd too, especially considering that no one ever seems to wear jackets. It's also a little disappointing that robes go into the armor inventory slot now instead of the cloak slot.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #11
Eh, wearing a robe over plate armor doesn't make much sense.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
All wands need a stick and a gemstone. Sounds like you forgot the gemstone.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 8323
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Thoughts in Chaos:

Eh, wearing a robe over plate armor doesn't make much sense.
I think it sort of makes sense. I mean, if you see a guy in a robe, you'd think he was a magician, not a warrior, right? Then you jab your weapon at him and... BAM! you'r weapon's broken. Since his armor is most likely covered by the robe, you'd probably think he had skin made of steel or something like that. I'd expect them to run in fear (no one wants to fight an indestructible guy that blasts massive fireballs and whatever.) So in my opinion it makes sense.

--------------------
Captain: That atomic ion cannon should have killed him.... WHAT?!?! HES STILL ALIVE?!?!
Guard: Yes, captain. He's an arrangment of numbers called 'statistics'.
Captain: Oh....
Guard: Captain.... we have new data.
Captain: What is it?
Guard: Emperor Tullegor is always right.
Captain: Isn't that obvious?
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #14
Depending on the type of robe, and the size, it'd be hard to get it to fit over the armor, let alone not be visible.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Shapers also appear to wear a lot of robes that are open in the front.

Dikiyoba.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #16
And they also make it clear to people that they are a shaper.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

I heard a man sing "The Muffin Man" one day. He got to see the light.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #17
Ugh, yep. That seems to be just it. All I needed was a gemstone. Jeweled Wand, would've been good.

I like this discussion that came of it though. Robes are imposing. And decorative. You look bad ass wearing a robe. The game is pretty accurate to the fact that they don't provide a ton of protection. They are enchanted as much as other equipment, I guess. You have to admit, they are an effective bluff for armor.

And the Shapers appear as such to everyone because they have characteristic robes. I think they're specified in the game to have an insignia and certain type of robes - Specifically that strange circley thing you see on the walls, and open, hooded robes

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 8939
Profile #18
and if you look closely at the shapers... THEY HAVE NO LEGS!!!

--------------------
I had a profound thought, but i think it died.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #19
I'd like to get my hands on the 3-D sprite for the old Shaper graphic. I bet it's just the robe colored black inside.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #20
to be honest I always picked the shaper/lifecrafter because of the orginal shaper grahpic.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #21
Yes, it was much cooler than the new one. Maybe Jeff could bring it back as a different class?

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #22
I gotta admit, I thought that one was stiff and thin but looking back I do like it better. However I've never liked playing as a Shaper (the class, not the affiliation). This calls for a new thread on graphics, just because I want to.

--------------------