The canister effect...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The canister effect...
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #0
What side effects do canisters give you?
and what do you think are in those canisters?
i think they might be "parts" or "pieces" of the geneforge in a canister.

--------------------
R.R
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #1
Canisters are basically mini, disposable geneforges. They were probably originally a prototype for the final goal, but since they are easier to make they have become more common, despite the fact that they are somewhat incomplete and far inferior to a geneforge.

They are created when the maker of the canister fills a crystal canister with essence and infuses a little bit of his own genetic make-up in there with it. Somehow, when activated, this gene-infused essence acts upon the user, replacing their own genes with the ones printed in the canister's essence. The process also requires puresteel, and I suppose we are supposed to assume the puresteel is destroyed in the process, since they don't seem to be big on recycling canisters.

The side effect is delicious, delicious power. You have a new skill printed into your genetic make-up so that you don't have to learn it. In fact, unlike learned skills, canistered skills are a part of you, like you were born knowing it, which is far superior to a learned skill, which can be forgotten and or never really mastered. Another side effect is a pure mind. Canisters make you see the world for what it really is, and thus you have little patience for lesser being that will get in your way from time to time. Lets just say this speeds up natural selection a little bit. These angry feeling do not effect you when dealing with other skilled shapers.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #2
Whatever you believe, they're basically Shaper steroids.

The rest is speculation.
Apprentice
Member # 8203
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

Shaper steroids.
Rebel lifecrafter steroids.

The Shapers think they're an abomination.

They might be right.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #4
Basically a gene altering virus.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #5
Hm...so basically canisters just give you a little attitude problem?

--------------------
R.R
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
No, they help you to see more clearly. The result is that you have less patience with those who deserve less patience. I wouldn't call it a problem, since you only ever freak out on people who deserve it, they practically ask for it, even.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #7
like that gazer who charges you 3000 coins for some canisters?
yeah,if you've had enough canisters you automatically attack him...i see what you mean.

--------------------
R.R
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #8
The anger presented by canisters tends to cloud judgment, though. Take the thahds near Taurbi Gate. If you've used enough canisters, you'll go off on them, despite there being better alternatives to resolve the situation.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
Originally by Nioca:

quote:
If you've used enough canisters, you'll go off on them, despite there being better alternatives to resolve the situation.
Like saving, buffing up your creations, and then killing them. :P

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #10
Well, you wouldn't need to save and buff up if you just used more canisters, lots more. Same applies to all those situations. There are not really better ways to resolve them, the only people you ever really attack are rogues and bandits and things like that. They all deserve what they get. In fact, are there any incidents of canister users attacking innocent people on record at all?

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
I don't think you have access to enough canisters before you encounter Dinitia or the others that you start having anger issues. By not having canister rage you can use your leadership to put them in their place (collect experience) and then attack them when they aren't expecting it (more experience).

Ignore ET, he has been using canisters too much and no longer has any empathy for anyone that can't be used to help him get ahead.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #12
So as long as you don't use over 6 canisters (or none at all) you have no "anger issues" or "seeing the world as it really is"?

--------------------
R.R
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
It varies, in later parts of the game you can use more canisters before you lose options. You don't need to use that many canisters to have a good game and Thuryl played it without any canisters.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #14
I think the upgraded forms of creations are nice,but might possibly be a waste of essence...what do burning kyshakks and unstable wingbolts look like?

-damien:it doesn't matter.
forget them both,i like neither one of them

--------------------
R.R
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #15
I think in appearance it's a color difference. The main drawback is that like exploding roamers, they explode for damage when they die or get absorbed. You don't want to be next to them when that happens.

The exploding kyshakks are summoned by the Titan in ur-drakon form and are in the northwest corner of the Titan hall and also there are three in the section before near the electrified fields.

There are three unstable wingbolts guarding the drakon's lab in Khima-Uss in the southwest corner.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #16
exploding kyshakks?

-damien
exploding kyshakks...?
man forget exploding kyshakks! I want my money!

--------------------
R.R
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #17
There is a shaper in shaper camp gamma, I don't remember his name, it started with D, that says that he can cure the canister corrupted minds, does that really works or just add 1 to spellcraft?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
All you get is the spellcraft bonus: I've checked the scripts to confirm that it doesn't decrease your canister count. Still, hey, free spellcraft.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #19
Clearly there is no cure because there is no problem to be cured. You can cloud your mind with emotions and sympathy if you try really hard like Litalia (who also became annoyingly aloof in the process), but that's really just a step backwards.

--------------------
You lose.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #20
I think one of these days ET is going to come across a bad canister and end up like Master Houge.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #21
What's wrong with Master Hoge and Litalia?

--------------------
R.R
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #22
There was nothing wrong with Master Hodge. As he used more and more canisters, he became more magically powerful and thus had less and less need for his body. As a result, he sort of started to fall apart... but it should be noted that this happens very rarely. Usually, canister users' features are uneffected or they can even improve as an aura of authority grows around them.

As for Litalia, she refused the clarity of the canisters, choosing instead to cloud her own mind to avoid outbursts (which would be inevitable since she surrounds herself with the weak), thus making her aloof and distant, even more so than usual.

[ Friday, March 02, 2007 03:38: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #23
So she never used any canisters?
and i'm guessing that Master Hoge dies in G3?

--------------------
R.R
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #24
Litalia used canisters, but avoided the pure mind effect. Hodge dies, but only if you kill him.

I appreciate the chance to flaunt my Geneforge lore knowledge, but you really should play the games, it's more fun to find these things out that way.

--------------------
You lose.

Pages