Any unbalances?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Any unbalances?
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #0
I was just thinking about any unbalances in G4 and was wondering if anyone thought there were some tweaks that should be introduced when G5 comes out. I, personally, think that slowing hits that happen automatically with each hit are a bit on the unbalanced side. I know that there weren't really any neccessary foes you had to kill that were overlypowerful in this aspect, but I am biased against it having just run a no magic no nothing character. It got rediculas when the Ur-Drakons were hitting me 10 times in a row without me getting a single AP.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #1
Well there is one unbalanced thing in your favor early in the game: cryoas. It is possible to make one extremely early, and with their inherent level bonus, they will be much more powerful than anything else you can make at that point.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Creations are relatively unbalancing since you can wander into areas where reinforcements are created like Western Morass and just let them fight while you get to explore.

Jeff thought he had created impossible areas that were meant to keep Rebel players from getting through them. He hadn't counted on the tactics of players like Delicious Vlish.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #3
Hey when picking the character classes, does the strong and weak traits really matter and have a real effect or they are just different setting like in Avernum?
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #4
There was a debate a little while ago that talked about the classes.

If I recall correctly, Shaping skill bonuses quit after the tenth skill point. With the right items, you can apparently shape any creation without ever investing a single point into the skill set.

The two best classes: Servile or Lifecrafter. Why? Neither class has a real weakness. Serviles get the most HP out of any class, are just as skilled in melee as a Warrior, and, unlike the Warrior, are proficient with spells. On the other hand, the Lifecrafter gets a huge essence bonus. You can essentially pump him full of defensive skills to offset his low HP and let an army of creations do the fighting.

The rest of the classes have some sort of weakness.

I'm not sure what effect this will have on your enjoyment unless you are powergaming.

Edit:
To directly answer your question, every time you invest in a skill two times, the cost goes up one skill point. Though this wont make a big difference at first, it eventually adds up. Characters strong in something will have a lower cost early game.

For example: The Warrior is strong in fighting skills. His base cost for melee weapons is 1. The Lifecrafter is weak in fighting skills. His base cost for melee weapons is around 4 or 5.

[ Sunday, February 18, 2007 15:03: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #5
The Warrior is far to weak. It has no strengths, and many weaknesses. Another class always manages to outmatch it.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #6
The "Charged" creations are too weak. Nalyd noticed only slight improvements from the ordinary creations, and their accelerated deaths came too soon to be worth it. Maybe change them so the degeneration happens slower, or so they only last one area.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #7
You can extend a Charged creation's life dramatically with the spell Regeneration. Works like a charm. Though I do think Charged creations should be more powerful, and more worth their essence expenditure.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #8
What? It's possible to make charged creations?
If so I haven't seen anything of that yet :rolleyes:
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #9
Charged (and unstable, which amounts to the same thing) creations are the advanced forms (need 3 skill in the creation) of some of the creations.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #10
But they aren't worth it.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.