Because I Can: The Masochist's Guide To G4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Because I Can: The Masochist's Guide To G4
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #0
I've started playing G4, and geez. It's just WAY too easy. It seems a decent game so far, but the combat is so unchallenging and tedious that I'm getting quite bored.

So this means I have to give myself a challenge! :) Thuryl already did Onan the Barbarian, so it has to be something tougher than no magic, no canisters, and no creations. I want to do something really ridiculous. I'm thinking something like no training, or maybe a Servile who isn't allowed to do any damage himself and must rely purely on his creations. I'll start this challenge tomorrow night, so feel free to come up with intensely difficult suggestions and/or cast votes until then.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
You do need some training just to be able to get enough damage in chapter 2 - Illya province. I started a servile with a single creation that did all the damage for him and it works if the servile casts daze and healing spells.

A servile with no spells and only creations fighting seems reasonable. After all creation is his worst ability and he has lower essence. You get plenty of money because you sell all the weapons that don't have useful abilities like guardian claymore's strength to self and creations.

How about you only use a stick for a weapon?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Your character cannot cast spells, attack, or use items. You may make one and only one creation, and it must be a fyora made as soon as possible in the beginning. If it dies, you reload.

Have fun by a very different definition from mine!

—Alorael, who otherwise thinks that a melee-only, non-canister lifecrafter would be a suitably agonizing challenge.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
Since there is a current thread on it, I nominate the lowest level possible.

Dikiyoba.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
I hope you realise that if you do a low-level challenge, I'm going to have to do one as well.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
Ooh. I'm tempted on that basis alone. :P But I think the fact that you've played the game already would give you a pretty sizable advantage in such a contest.

I like the stick idea if only for comedy value. A Servile named Ug, who also never trains in Leadership ever. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #6
Just do the challenge mentioned in-game (never attack anything).

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
You can use rocks for a missle weapon.

There is the martial arts challenge of bare handed and only wearing robes. Kind of silly but possible with high strength and endurance.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #8
I haven't bought G4 yet, but the "don't attack anything" "challenge" was extremely easy in the first three Geneforges, and I suspect it will be that way for G4, especially if you have the hint book. :P

An example : You can sabotage Shaila's platform while she's standing on it. The lightning aura will "kill" her in only a few rounds.

EDIT : Okay, I think you do have to attack Barzahl in G2 if you want the Loyalist or Taker ending, even if you let the Drayks do all the work for you.

[ Sunday, February 18, 2007 13:07: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #9
No combat is actually pretty easy in general. And it also gets boring.

Anyway, Ug has been launched! I'm using Mechanics, but not Leadership, and playing a heavily combat-focussed game. I've also extended no spellcasting to using any pods or other magic items (though wearing magic armour is okay). I've just knocked over Shalia, and so far so good. After a little pain early on when dealing with large numbers of opponents I can only kill one at a time, I've started to follow Thuryl's lead and am investing in Endurance.

I also carry around a lot of food - I don't have anything else to spend my cash on, so that's pretty much unlimited and I use it as much as possible, regularly chomping down snacks while in the middle of a fight. I can't help expecting Ug to get really overweight, what with his unhealthy dependency on kebabs. On the other hand, I guess it all gets surgically removed...

No real difficulties so far. I'm spreading skill points fairly evenly among combat skills (though with extra endurance), and I have to say, quick action and parry help a lot, especially against tougher opponents. When all you have to hit people with is a stick, it helps to hit them a few times. :P

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #10
can you upload a picture of Ug? :P

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
I could, but I can't be bothered. He looks just like every other servile.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #12
No doubt about that, I just was curious about the statistics ;)

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
The nice part about high endurance is walking through the poisonous atmosphere of the Dumping Pit and taking little damage. Except for that corner.

With no magic you are going to pile up cash.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #14
With no magic, you'll be able to afford the trainers. After them, you'll wish you'd gone with spells.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #15
You should try with a warrior and only use spells!! :P
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #16
How about this: never attack anything yourself, but make one fyora when you first can, and never use any other creations. Pump up its stats with essence and its skill points, and use blessing and healing spells on it in combat.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #17
Why don't preparing an humour routine and make that all enemies die of laughter!!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #18
How about I finish with Ug first?

I've just gotten through the Cairn Gates, and am level 11. The Battle Alphas at the bridge and the Restless Dead have been the only things too tough for me so far. Oh, and I got through the Dumping Pits by just running past and taking a few hits rather than taking on a trio of Runewarded Thahds. :P

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #19
It might be a challenge to do the no magic/creations route, but use a lifecrafter as your class.

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #20
UPDATE!! I just beat Moseh and got through Illya Province. Damn tough, too. I thought he had me. I ended up bringing him down with all of 12 HP to spare. :P

To date, Ug has eaten well over a thousand kebabs. He somehow maintains good fighting fitness.

I'm now tossing up whether it's acceptable to take reinforcements with me in the Fens. On one hand, I haven't been training in Leadership, so the most I can get is 2 soldiers anyway, so it's not like Ug won't still be labouring under a disadvantage compared to most non-stick-wielding characters. On the other... is it cheapening the challenge to accept help? I've been using occasional help where I can get it anyway (leading monsters back to friendly characters, or fighting alongside characters in specific situations). I'm inclined to say it's alright, but if people demand further masochism I can go without.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #21
Masochism. Ug is too repulsive for anyone to occupy adjacent party slots. :P

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #22
Bring along a couple of tech serviles. They can sit in a corner and provide technical support as you whack mines with a stick.

Besides they won't mind your looks.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #23
No love means never having to share your kebabs.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #24
Solo it is. *clutches kebabs to himself distrustfully*

--------------------

Pages