Why isn't there a strong magic/medium shaping/weak weapon class?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Why isn't there a strong magic/medium shaping/weak weapon class?
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #0
The Lifecrafter is basically the Shaper, the Warrior is the Guardian, and the Infiltrator is the Agent. The addition of the Shock Trooper gave us a strong shaping/medium weapon/weak magic class and the addition of the Servile gave us a strong weapon/medium magic/weak shaping class. Why isn't there a strong magic/medium shaping/weak weapon class?
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #1
Good question. I would say because it is redundant, but in reality it is only as redundant as the other new classes imo. :confused:

I <3 Agents.

--------------------
Trouser Snake.
Mustakrakish.

Infiltrators? No. Agents? YES!!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
I'm not positive, but I believe it was a balance issue. A fairly powerful creation army backed up by strong offensive spells and buffs would be too much. The warrior is already weak compared to the other classes as it is.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #3
Well we already have the Shaper/Lifecrafter and it's not overpowered. It has strong Shaping and medium Magic, which both rely on intelligence. With Agents, Guardians, and the new classes, their strong and medium class skills rely on at least two different primary stats.
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #4
When I see this, I think of swaths of creations spewing bolts of magic everywhere and sheets of flames roaring down from the PC. It would be a beautiful sight. :D

--------------------
Trouser Snake.
Mustakrakish.

Infiltrators? No. Agents? YES!!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Jeff has actually addressed this question before on the forums; he feels such a class would be overpowered and too much of a glass cannon.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
Given G4's mechanics, it would be the uncontested best class, unless it had some kind of unprecedented drawback.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
The Infiltrator sort of is the strong magic/medium shaping/weak weapon class anyway; it has more essence than the Servile or even (oddly enough) the Warrior, and essence generally matters more than shaping skill in G4.

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 21:57: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
Essence matters since it allows more and stronger creations. Anything left over gives blessing and healing so they can fight better and longer.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
The infiltrator is a good class even with weak shaping when you put no points into weapons skill. While magic/shaping/weapons would be fun, it would make all class optimization discussions largely useless because of its ability to steamroll through all opposition.

—Alorael, realized that the sixth class was what he wanted while playing his lifecrafter in the very first beta. Jeff said no, and his decision made sense more and more later in the game.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #10
I was wandering exactly the same thing about that class!!!!
The only fragile caster here is the shaper...but there is no a pure mage.
I hope there will be one for G5 :P anyway the new classes are great!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
It's as unlikely in G5 unless there's a big engine or paradigm shift. I'm also not sure what you mean by a pure mage. No class is a pure anything, and the lifecrafter certainly comes closest to the stand back and throw magic and/or other people at it approach.

—Alorael, who actually thinks a strong magic and weak everything else pure mage class would be reasonably balanced. It would be slightly tougher in places, and the infiltrator is of course superior in all ways, but it wouldn't be as hard as a weapons- or shaping-only class.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I'm not positive, but I believe it was a balance issue. A fairly powerful creation army backed up by strong offensive spells and buffs would be too much.
I agree, you don't want a character class where the game would be too easy.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #13
Is it possible that someone openly agrees with what I have long been touting about the mighty Infiltrator? I didn't finish my Infiltrator Tales thread yet, because I messed up my game in progress. I have recently started a new game and will at least post the final results when I finish.

The Infiltrator as a solo magician with no points invested in shaping or battle skills becomes a massively powerful mage who can do reasonably well with a sword when necessary. It's so satisfying. You have loads of essence for creations when desired and buffs and healing and offensive spells galore. I certainly find her the most powerful choice. The Servile may be more of a tank, but it steers you more toward defensiveness (building endurance) than towards honing devastating offensive and regenerative ability.

Hooray for the underrated Infiltrator. You will hear more from me on her yet.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #14
An Infiltrator with a Wingbolt is just fun though. You can do amazing damage, and really crank up on the defensive spells- meanwhile doing lots of offensive damage to just about anything that moves (Mass Energize)- you can easily dish out 500+ damage to the right enemy per turn.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I prefer agents with disposable health. For a few paltry points in shaping, or even just the right equipment, you can throw some absurd firepower at things while they try to chew on your equally absurdly buffed buddies.

—Alorael, who doesn't even really see the need for those buddies through most of the later game. It's nice to have a fyora in the beginning and maybe a drayk or two later, but by the end you need nothing but your plexiglass cannon.