Best Class and Faction to Play

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Best Class and Faction to Play
Apprentice
Member # 8073
Profile #0
I am just starting out. What is the best class and faction to play?

Also, are there any tips I really should know so that I won't be kicking myself for doing something halfway through the game? (e.g. I read that most people don't train combat skills until after the trainer at the 1st camp so I started over.

Thanks.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
The combat skills are really not a big deal -- you only save a few points over those in classes that actually care about combat. And the trainer isn't available until halfway through the game. So they are only worth fussing over if you are playing on Torment and really want to optimize every last point. You will however want to hold off training Spellcraft, as a Spellcraft trainer shows up very early.

The Warrior and Shock Trooper are universally acknowledged to be sub-optimal classes... though the difference is not huge. The Lifecrafter is best with creations due to higher essence and will have the most raw offensive power. The Servile is the best fighter and potentially the most versatile and survivable. The Infiltrator is extremely similar to the Servile -- slightly less survivable, but with slightly more essence -- with most seeming to feel the Servile and Lifecrafter are preferable.

As far as sects go, you are somewhat better off if you pick one side and stick with it. The Shapers have somewhat better rewards, though there are exceptions. The link in my sig and in the forum header will have more detailed information about that. Otherwise, there aren't any major surprises / realizations that you should have done X 20 hours of playing ago.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #2
I'd agree that you're best off sticking with one side, however, there's definitely more reward for helping the shapers. One quest in specific is pretty much necessary to keep several areas open- repair Moseh. I find myself repairing Moseh, then killing Shaftoe and Eliza for their stuff and to keep on the good side of the rebels.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Repairing Moseh is 100% unnecessary to keep any areas open whatsoever. It's a myth.

Even if you kill Moseh, reporting to Alwan will still earn you the pass that you need to get into the Shaper areas in the Fens. The problem is that many people kill Moseh, then assume there is no reason to report back to Alwan. The game really does reward indulging in diplomacy with the side you aren't helping.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Hashi the Drug-Sniffing Canine:

You will however want to hold off training Spellcraft, as a Spellcraft trainer shows up very early.
Where?

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #5
In the area with the battle alphas and drayk, the person inside the building will train you in spellcraft.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #6
You have to have enough leadership to convince him though.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
You only need leadership of 6 so it's not hard.

You should read the reputation and reward information to decide which side to mostly help. There are certain items that benefit certain classes so that may help make up your mind. An infiltrator. lifecrafter, and servile using spells will want the skien of wisdom from bringing the kiln ruby to the Shapers and the spellcasters want the items to raise battle magic spells.
Apprentice
Member # 3865
Profile #8
his name is burkes and you can betray him to the shaper camp so get the spellcraft first

--------------------
HUST?
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Hashi the Drug-Sniffing Canine:

Repairing Moseh is 100% unnecessary to keep any areas open whatsoever. It's a myth.

Even if you kill Moseh, reporting to Alwan will still earn you the pass that you need to get into the Shaper areas in the Fens. The problem is that many people kill Moseh, then assume there is no reason to report back to Alwan. The game really does reward indulging in diplomacy with the side you aren't helping.

OK, true enough. I still find helping Moseh and killing the other two shapers the easiest way to ensure that chapters 3 and 4 remain open. You can turn over Monarch's papers to the rebels and so long as you've helped Moseh, can explore Burwood without fear of the infiltrators.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00