G4 Preview

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: G4 Preview
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #0
There are Spoilers:

G4

[ Tuesday, October 31, 2006 22:52: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 3035
Profile Homepage #1
I think it gives too much away..but i havn't really been paying attention to the other posts..soo it may not be news to anyone else...

--------------------
Geneforge 3 Trainer for windows.
[NEWEST v.0.9 ~~ Trainer D/L Here (.zip, 103kb)
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
Yes, it gives away much more than was previously common knowledge. So if you haven't read the article yet, consider yourself spoiler-warned.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Sweet.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
The stuff it gives away only involves the beginning, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
I'm pleasantly suprised, and cautiously optimistic.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #6
Wow. The Fyroa looks like a Velociraptor or something now.

[Spoiler]

Using the Geneforge so early in the game is perplexing. Perhaps it is not so uber as it was in GF 1?

[/Spoiler]

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #7
Or the whole scale of combat is dramatically ramped up. Intead of starting off fighting Fyoras, you start fighting Drayks. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by Anasurimbor Moenghus:

quote:
Wow. The Fyroa looks like a Velociraptor or something now.
Dikiyoba agrees. The new graphic looks great.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
I think I'm not giving anything away if I mention that you get to use the Geneforge in the middle of the tutorial. No, it's not your GF1 Shaper's Geneforge.

—Alorael, who decided, with very little knowledge of Geneforges or how they work, that the one in the beginning is both plausible and appropriately handled. Then he tried to flip out and kill everyone with superior magical power, but at level 1 it's hard to do that even with enhanced genes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
The review is accurate except for misspelling fyora. The details about the AP system aren't complete. There is one major difference that isn't mentioned in that you can get killed in the very first section of the tutorial. Most people won't be that careless, but I explored the area and found at least 2 ways to die.

It still doesn't give away that much more than Jeff has already revealed in posts and screenshots. The third way is hinted at in the tutorial, but you don't really get to it until chapter 2.

The new fyora graphic is better than the old one. There is one new creation that is really nice, but you don't see it until chapter 2 when it kills you for going where you shouldn't.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #11
I think the new Fyora looks kinda goofy. I always thought that they would look like Velociraptor, but I don't know. The old ones were so cute.
They'll grow on me eventually I guess.

This priview made me even more excited. Can't wait. :D

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #12
At least as far as I'm concerned, the game lives up to its early promise right through. I had the same enthusiastic reaction to the demo area as this reviewer. After playing the rest of the game, the demo area still seems good, but pretty tame.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
Looks interesting. I'll give it a whirl in 2007.

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
Did you say chapter 2?

That, too, makes me happy. Having chapter divisions has been as good an indicator of a great Spiderweb game as anything else. (See: Exile 2, Nethergate)

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
I don't know what the chapter divisions were like before. There are no 'title pages' or anything in G4, but as I think Jeff has said, it is structured as a series of regions separated by barriers that are, for one reason or another, impenetrable, until certain major quests have been accomplished, in one way or another. So the plot does end up having a definite chapter structure. Each chapter is more tightly unified than in previous games, with most zones and most quests fitting somehow into the chapter's major plot.

There's still nearly total freedom in how you want to go about things, and quite a few optional quests or places. But I think most players will be conscious of where the story is going most of the time, rather than just wandering around the landscape looking for trouble.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #16
(Looks at G4's weather effects.)
(Looks at scenario's puny efforts to create fog.)
(Weeps.)

Really, the hype for this game has made me actually consider playing through the first three, just to get to the point where I can play it. I have yet to hear a bad thing about the beta.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I reserve the right to execute any henchmen who appear to be a little too intelligent, powerful, or devious. However if I do so, I will not at some subsequent point shout "Why am I surrounded by these incompetent fools?!"
(T-10)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
You don't need much background to play. Having only played demos and only GF1's demo extensively, I can still follow the plot without trouble. I'm missing a few references and returning characters, of course, but it all works.

—Alorael, who thinks Geneforge's chapter system is more like the beginning few chapters of Nethergate than like E/A2. You can go anywhere you've been, for the most part, and you can explore a fair amount where you are. Getting to the next area means advancing the plot.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #18
It seems really good! All is improved, but the basic are the same.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Warrior
Member # 3035
Profile Homepage #19
man, it almost makes me want to buy a mac just to play it asooner :P

--------------------
Geneforge 3 Trainer for windows.
[NEWEST v.0.9 ~~ Trainer D/L Here (.zip, 103kb)
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #20
So I'm noticing the FPS counter in the upper-left land area seems to be ~10 -- does anybody know what the other games normally run at? That seems painfully low.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #21
30. Though I had one game which had an FPS of 50.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #22
Charlie (always my first creation) the Fyora's trip to the graphics designing program has turned out quite badly and he's going to lose his job as first creation unless the fyora turns out to be nicer looking from other angles. Not that much can be done about his portrait in the party menu though...

The review's screenshot gallery proves that Charlie's got a repaint in colour as well... will probably hack into that image file and replace it with the old cuter fyora image. Or call him Bob and act as if nothing ever happened. :)

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Or the whole scale of combat is dramatically ramped up. Intead of starting off fighting Fyoras, you start fighting Drayks. :P
Err. I'm going to get killed more often now. But then what do we fight at the end? Killer rabbits?

[ Wednesday, November 01, 2006 23:43: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #23
Fortunately, with the new forging system you are able combine an eyebeast eye, a perfect drakon eyelash, and a rotdhizon spleen ... into the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
I guess that means I'm going to have to name my character Tim.

--------------------

Pages