Living items

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Living items
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #0
I wonder what are really made living tools out of so as chitin amour and others like torn batons and those plants that live in caves and that give you life .

[ Tuesday, January 02, 2007 23:15: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
I'm basing all of this from GF1-3 canon, and obviously, if there are explanations in GF4 for these things, then you should ignore what I say..

Chitin armour is just the shell of a living creature (such as a clawbug) that is treated to be wearable, as far as I know. Chitin exists in our world too, and is the basis for many insect's hard shells.

Thorn batons are animals inside wooden(?) casings, that have little intelligence. They fire when the user squeezes the rear end of said animal. I can think of better ways to live...

And the "plants" that give you health and energy (I'm presuming you mean the hand-shaped ones) are actually crystals. I think GF2 explains this properly, but I can't find the exact location of the description...

Hope that's been more than vaguely helpful.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Warrior
Member # 1668
Profile #2
As an aside, what's with the misquote of The Smiths?

And in order to stay on topic, I'll comment that you've left out living tools, spore batons, and plants that produce useful seed pods.

And then there's some of the 'droppings'... Is my PC really wandering around with the skin of a thad draped over him -- a la Silence of the Lambs? And a ratskin shawl can't be very hygienic. Clawbug carapace? Fyoraskin cloak? Gazerskin sandals? Ewww.

[ Wednesday, January 03, 2007 13:33: Message edited by: wary wanderer ]

--------------------
"Mongo only pawn in game of life" -- Mongo
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
And living tools are little creatures that burrow into a lock to push things around and open it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by I Am The Quarry:

Thorn batons are animals inside wooden(?) casings
I'm pretty sure GF1 specifies that the casing of a thorn baton is made of metal.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #5
A mix of wood and metal, actually.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by wary wanderer:

As an aside, what's with the misquote of The Smiths?

I recently saw Morrissey live in concert (in Manchester!!), and he played 'Please, please, please' but with those lyrics. And they're much better than "let me get what I want", in my opinion.

quote:
And in order to stay on topic, I'll comment that you've left out living tools, spore batons, and plants that produce useful seed pods.
I wasn't totally sure about these, and misinformation is bad unless you're Aran or *i, so I didn't comment.

[ Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:08: Message edited by: Kristeen xx ]

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
As another aside, what's with Nik and choosing really, really feminine names for himself?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Blame his parents. Being named Nikki can mess a guy up a little, apparently.

--------------------
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #9
Are you sure that no one has a very sain mind.
I'm not even sure if the way that i think is different than others and no one can have a name that ill mind us the concept is unthinkable but i still agree that the name Niki can mess up your mind.
I like betwen walking and sleeping.

[ Thursday, January 04, 2007 23:15: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

I like betwen walking and sleeping.
Do I take that as a good thing or a bad thing??

Anyway, as for the overt femininity, I must thank you all for noticing :P

I was really waiting for the next photo thread to pull this stunt though...

Sigh.

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #11
Take it as a good thing it makes me look in different points of views so i understand better how pepole think and i can be friendlier to them.
I see that you are from the female gender is that right?
If it is so please accept my apologies.
If not Jeff i will roll over and laugh sorry for my behavior it is the way that i am.

[ Friday, January 05, 2007 10:37: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #12
Originally by upon mars:

quote:
Take it as a good thing it makes me look in different points of views so i understand better how pepole think and i can be friendlier to them.
He's refering to the fact that you spelled it "betwen walking and sleeping" instead of "Between Waking and Sleeping".

Originally by Nikki:

quote:
I was really waiting for the next photo thread to pull this stunt though...

Sigh.
You mean you really are a bear? *Dikiyoba gasps*
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #13
That is true she/he has nearly the same problem of spelling which between waking and sleeping make me roll over and die of laughter.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

That is true she/he has nearly the same problem of spelling which between waking and sleeping make me roll over and die of laughter.
Erm... are you trying to say that I can't spell either? 'Cus, see that may be true to some extent, but I can spell fairly well. Well enough for the boards, anyway.

And sadly, Diki, I am not a bear.

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #15
Chitin is insect shells or crab shells treated to be wearable. The US military is looking at developing chitin like substances for body armor. Another substance, nacre, a pearlescent hard ceramic from abalone shells is also being looked at for ballistic inserts for body armor. I would think of nacre as being a good choice to make the living material for shaped items. Also crystals could be grown thus you get crystalline fibers for making things. I would think of the batons as a living gas powered rotating bolt wand.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

Chitin is insect shells or crab shells treated to be wearable. The US military is looking at developing chitin like substances for body armor. Another substance, nacre, a pearlescent hard ceramic from abalone shells is also being looked at for ballistic inserts for body armor.
Hmm. Maybe Jeff could claim Copyright Infringement against the military, and get some extra income. Just a thought. :)

quote:
I would think of the batons as a living gas powered rotating bolt wand.
I think of it more like a magic sci-fi version of a semi-automatic pistol. I mean, they both use small projectiles that, on their own, are not very useful, and a thorn baton's thorns comes in groups of six, similar to a magazine.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #17
I think Jeff is far from the first person to use the concept of chitin armor. In fact, have the Geneforge games ever explained what creation chitin armor comes from? Probably clawbug but I don't think it ever really says.

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I think Jeff is far from the first person to use the concept of chitin armor. In fact, have the Geneforge games ever explained what creation chitin armor comes from? Probably clawbug but I don't think it ever really says.
I think it's mentioned in a couple of places that it's a kind of creation specially bred for the purpose, so probably not clawbugs (or at least, if it is, they're heavily modified, non-combat-capable clawbugs). I don't think it ever goes into more detail than that, though.

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 13:24: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Going by item names, the chitin is at least sometimes grown in a vat. I suppose the clawbug could be grown in a vat too, but growing the chitin without more than a very simple organism to spew it out seems well within shaper capabilities.

—Alorael, who can even see chitin growing on a more plant-like creation, possibly a variant of the turrets. Actually, the thorns could be chitin too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Ultimate Airspace Violation:

Going by item names, the chitin is at least sometimes grown in a vat.
It's also possible that Vat Chitin is grown in the usual way and simply hardened in a vat or something.

quote:
—Alorael, who can even see chitin growing on a more plant-like creation, possibly a variant of the turrets. Actually, the thorns could be chitin too.
Fun fact: fungal cell walls are made of chitin.

IMAGE(http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-science.gif)

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 15:13: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
Originally by Thuryl:

quote:
It's also possible that Vat Chitin is grown in the usual way and simply hardened in a vat or something.
Dikiyoba just assumed they were called Vat Chitin because they were the armor of choice for working in dangerous chemical labs, just like the Agent Robe is meant for Agents and not made out of them.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba the Great:

the Agent Robe is meant for Agents and not made out of them.
Can't it be both?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
I suggested the chitin from turrets because turrets are fungi and fungi have chitin. I didn't suggest that the chitin should be grown on trees. Everyone knows chitin doesn't grow on trees!

—Alorael, who thought that Agent Robes (and Infiltrator Cloaks) were made by young, impoverished Agents (and Infiltrators) forced to work long hours in dangerous conditions for little pay.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #24
Nope. Made by cheap servile labor. In a sweathouse. Made by serviles. Using tools made by serviles, eating food farmed by serviles, and wearing clothes made of a servile killed by serviles, who were then forced to make his hide into a robe. And you wonder where the hostility comes from.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.

Pages