Using the Geneforge as the ultimate character editor.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Using the Geneforge as the ultimate character editor.
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #0
Perhaps for the next game you can have an option that when the player successfully reaches the Geneforge they can use it to edit thier character or creations. NPC companions will probably not to be to keen on you messing with thier DNA though.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #1
That's simply not how the geneforge works. You can't just choose what it does to you on the spot. It takes months of forethought, and you have to add parts of people you want to take the strengths of.

But what if you could build your own geneforge? Let’s say you find a proto-geneforge, an essence pool or something. Then, you just add the parts that you need to make your character how you want. Want great strength? Go battle a guardian and take his body. Want dexterity? Murder some agent and carry her back to the geneforge. Want to not go insane? Go dig up Ellrah's mangled corpse and throw that bastard into the mix!

The last part probably wouldn't work since he is a servile, but you get the idea.

--------------------
You lose.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #2
The real trick is, of course, getting the Agent in the first place.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
No spoilers, but there's a very big and very important while these ideas won't work exactly as stated.

Actually, those ideas are possible but highly irrelevant.

—Alorael, who is a bad person and who enjoys it very much.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
The geneforge is set to do the same thing to each individual that uses it. Consider it to be multiple canisters all working at once.

In GF1 you don't get to choose what will happen since it was preset by Danette. The Drakon geneforge is set to give them their desired results.
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #5
Well, my thought was it would be a reward for finishing the game, and also since the previous Geneforges didn't come with a character editor it would be nice. Perhaps the editor should only be accessible as an egg of some sort or require the player to enter a cheat code after they've reached the Geneforge and won. Type "forgemygenes" or something like that. Does the scripting allow modifications of creations though?
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Kennedy:

Well, my thought was it would be a reward for finishing the game, and also since the previous Geneforges didn't come with a character editor it would be nice. Perhaps the editor should only be accessible as an egg of some sort or require the player to enter a cheat code after they've reached the Geneforge and won. Type "forgemygenes" or something like that. Does the scripting allow modifications of creations though?
A reward like that is only interesting if you leave alive someone to use it on...

I think that scripting would let you give bonuses to different creatures depending on their slot, but that means that a Fyora in slot 1 would get the same bonus as a Battle Alpha in slot 1. So it could be done through scripting, but it would be ugly. If this idea is implemented, it would probably work out better if it was done through the game's engine.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Originally by Rakshasi:

quote:
A reward like that is only interesting if you leave alive someone to use it on...
Which is one of the most disappointing things about using the Geneforge in G1 (at least the way I play), or any final reward, really.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
I left some alive in GF1 and it still wasn't satisfying.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #9
I let the Takers live up to that point and then totally anihalate them. :D

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche