Serviles and Canisters...???

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Serviles and Canisters...???
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #0
Hmm... if I remember correctly from GF1, the serviles on sucia island said that the canisters there kill them instantly. I know you can play a servile in GF4, but im just curious, can a servile use canisters?

--------------------
Learn from others mistakes. Its safer
and more entertaining than learning on your own.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #1
Serviles shaped by the geneforge can do lots of things they otherwise could not. Use magic, shape, and, apparently, use canisters.

--------------------
You lose.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
Also remember that Jeff is not known for his adherence to continuity.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #3
Like servile sex changes.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Retlaw May:

Like servile sex changes.
Well, if they can be shaped, then where's the problem?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
Jeff remembers less about what happens in his games than we do. In order to use canisters in GF4 you have to be a player since Tyrol got to use canisters before reaching the Geneforge.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
It might also have been because the canisters on Sucia Isle were sitting there for 150 years. So it wouldn't be much of a surprise if they became a little volatile over the years.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #7
This is really not a continuity problem. The seviles on Sucia could not use the canisters on Sucia. The serviles in G4 are not from Sucia. While it's unlikely they were modified recently, in the course of two centuries the standard servile model might well have changed. And it's EXTREMELY likely that the new canisters produced by the Rebels are not the same as the ones lying around on Sucia for two centuries, especially given that the Rebels grew out of the Takers, who had servile leaders.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
I agree, there really is no problem here. Was there something wrong with my explaination?

--------------------
You lose.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Antergy:

This is really not a continuity problem. The seviles on Sucia could not use the canisters on Sucia. The serviles in G4 are not from Sucia. While it's unlikely they were modified recently, in the course of two centuries the standard servile model might well have changed. And it's EXTREMELY likely that the new canisters produced by the Rebels are not the same as the ones lying around on Sucia for two centuries, especially given that the Rebels grew out of the Takers, who had servile leaders.
While this may be true, as we have been able to explain a lot of stuff with the Avernum timeline, often the best explanatioin is the simplist. I'm not saying that what has been said is wrong, but it is inherently speculative either way. Call me cynical, but I just don't expect perfect continuity in Jeff's games.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #10
You're being cynical. I don't think that Jeff was being careless here, I think he just assumed we could figure some things out on our own. It's not like this involves contradicting dates or something like that. Why can serviles use canister now? New technology.

I'll take the 'a wizard did it' explanation over the 'writer screwed it up' explanation any day.

--------------------
You lose.