Fantastical Thoughts On RPG Game Mechanics

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Fantastical Thoughts On RPG Game Mechanics
Apprentice
Member # 122
Profile #75
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Play Hackmaster which was based on original 1st and 2nd edition D&D. Plenty of called shots and other tactical combat. Too bad Hasbro isn't renewing the license for the game.
I'd rather play GURPS for tactical combat. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #76
Another idea I just came up with is a Physics engine, combined with pauses to represent rounds/turns in combat to allow many choices in the way you fight. Do you kick the Monster in the head, while trying to elbow the other guy behind you?

Don't think its possible? have a look at Tori bash and HL2.

Also, additionally, I wish to remind everyone what an RPG is: Role Playing Game. Half Life could be an RPG, as you are PLAYING, the ROLE, of Gordon Freeman, in a Game.

There for, any game where you play as a character, is a RPG.
is there a game where you DO NOT play the role of some one?
Look at the mindless game Tetras.

--------------------
Put your heart into all you do, even when it seems your are diving head first to your demise, for your heart knows the right path to a true victory!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #77
Crash Bandicoot games are role-playing..Super Mario games are role-playing..heck..even Katamari Damaci is role-playing..if that's what you meant by role-playing..

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #78
You are not the first person to make this point, and you will not be the last. The reason the "hurr i am PLAYING a ROLE so it must be a ROLE PLAYING GAME" definition isn't widely used is that it's a pretty vacuous definition, and of little practical value in distinguishing genres.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #79
In all fairness, RPG is an absolutely terrible term to describe a game. "Fantasy Combat Simulator" or something similar would be a good deal more accurate.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #80
quote:
Originally written by Arachnid:

In all fairness, RPG is an absolutely terrible term to describe a game. "Fantasy Combat Simulator" or something similar would be a good deal more accurate.
Harvest Moon..

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #81
quote:
Originally written by Arachnid:

Well, this is true enough: "RPG" originally meant "D&D-inspired dungeon crawl" and is now basically just a marketing term. Your suggestion isn't really an improvement, though, since it's still misleading (what about RPGs in non-fantasy settings?) and doesn't say anything about the game mechanics (a first-person shooter is a "combat simulator" too). Djur has suggested "turn-based tactical character development games", which would probably include RPGs and most SRPGs.

quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

Harvest Moon..
I usually hear Harvest Moon referred to as a simulation game rather than an RPG, although admittedly "simulation" is just as meaningless a descriptor.

[ Wednesday, November 07, 2007 03:49: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #82
At least you're playing the role of a guy striving to make a life..oh wait..define role-playing again..

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #83
3rd person combat simulator
That makes a good description.

--------------------
You must show me respect becouse...never mind why but do respect me!
All hail me, your...something.
Don't contradict me or I'l...GUARDS!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #84
What about Europa Universalis? Okay, that's a war simulator. But X-COM? Other tactical games? They're third persona and they simulate battles, but they're definitely not RPGs. The Dungeon Master games and many others are first person but still RPGs. Planescape: Torment is, or can be, mostly non-combat. Fallout is sci-fi, not fantasy; Earthbound is still fantastical, but it's set in a modern world (sort of) and isn't at all high fantasy.

—Alorael, who has come to terms with the fact that the words "role playing game" are poor descriptors of the genre. Coming up with a better blanket term is hard, though, and everyone knows what you mean when you say RPG. It works well enough.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #85
What ever....

Well, my earlier idea (shock points etc) was for a stand alone game idea based off of a engine similar to BoA. only problem is I cant program... :(

I have this idea you see.
I think its a great idea, and although its not the fantasy stuff that you are all familiar with, it would make a good Multiplayer or mini game.

Its an Armed Defenders Tactical Combat Simulation game with a few RPG elements. Its based more around the Devastation of gun fire, and the use of cover and what ever one can use to prevent there Team from getting slaughtered as they try to under go missions.

One thing is, the game is played entirely in a combat mode system similar to Avernum's combat system.

The game is more oriented on sneaking up on your foe and cutting his throat or using flash bombs on a room to knock everyone out.

Rather than the system of Creating characters, I have this idea, you hire randomly created and skilled characters. as you play though the game, you loose people so you have to replace them (no Load save stuff)

If you loose all your men, you have to hire a new team.
I really think some one should try to create the game, even as a Freeware game.

--------------------
Put your heart into all you do, even when it seems your are diving head first to your demise, for your heart knows the right path to a true victory!
Apprentice
Member # 10304
Profile #86
quote:
Originally written by The Crimson Coyote:

What ever....

Well, my earlier idea (shock points etc) was for a stand alone game idea based off of a engine similar to BoA. only problem is I cant program... :(

I have this idea you see.
I think its a great idea, and although its not the fantasy stuff that you are all familiar with, it would make a good Multiplayer or mini game.

Its an Armed Defenders Tactical Combat Simulation game with a few RPG elements. Its based more around the Devastation of gun fire, and the use of cover and what ever one can use to prevent there Team from getting slaughtered as they try to under go missions.

One thing is, the game is played entirely in a combat mode system similar to Avernum's combat system.

The game is more oriented on sneaking up on your foe and cutting his throat or using flash bombs on a room to knock everyone out.

Rather than the system of Creating characters, I have this idea, you hire randomly created and skilled characters. as you play though the game, you loose people so you have to replace them (no Load save stuff)

If you loose all your men, you have to hire a new team.
I really think some one should try to create the game, even as a Freeware game.

Ever played Jagged Alliance?
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #87
No... is it any good?
Can it run on Macs and is there a Demo i can Sample?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 10304
Profile #88
Well, Jagged Alliance is a classic and has all the gameplay elements that you've mentioned.
No, there is no mac version, but if you have bootcamp or any software to emulate a PC with, you can easily run them on emulated Winblows. I think it's worth the hassle.
I've no idea if there is a demo.
If you're interested in trying it out, I'd suggest starting with Jagged Alliance 2, as the first part has DOS graphics that are a bit too much for a modern gamer to take.

[ Wednesday, November 07, 2007 14:20: Message edited by: kkarski ]
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #89
My comp is out of date. There for, if it runs on Winblows its not worth playing, end of story...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #90
The early installments in the series run on DOS, which means you can run it either directly or with DOSBox pretty much regardless of how old your computer is.

—Alorael, who hasn't played any of the games himself. Maybe he should get around to that one day.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 11663
Profile #91
quote:
Djur has suggested "turn-based tactical character development games"
... quite a mouthful when you abbreviate it, but it would sound cool when backed by the "Anvil Chorus" from Il Trovatore.

:D

I call 'em Mapquest games. Worst name of all, most likely.
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #92
that actually sounds cool...
Map Quest! An adventure game where you go on a Quest, over a **** load of maps!

--------------------

Pages