Finding 4 difficult - help

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Finding 4 difficult - help
Apprentice
Member # 6956
Profile #0
I have played A1,2,3 and had no problem, but I must be doing something wrong in 4. I dont seem to be strong enough to beat anything even though I am level 19. I am in the Tower and cant beat any of the worm things. Also theres loads of magic barriers I cant get through. Did the X trial and thought he would teach it to me. I havnt been able to get any spells from the last 4 trainers including X it says my levels are too high.

Its getting very frustrating, is it like this for everybody or just me
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #1
Please give more detail...I can barely understand.
At least make it more clear. Then I can help you.

Edit -and do you mean by level 19 as in you are a singleton? You don't just go and play your first time as a sington or any kind of chalenge. You play the game fully first. And I have heard that sington is impossible in A4.

Or do you mean that is your average party level.

[ Wednesday, June 13, 2007 07:49: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

I will kill whoever sings "the muffin man". The song is total bull.
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #2
Hmm
As far as I remember, your overall level doesn't affect if youcan learn a spell or not, it's just a level of a spell you know it at that matters! The trainers can teach you two levels of a spell regardless where you buy it, so if you already learned two levels of a spell at one trainer, the other one won't teach it to you.
As for X, I think that he doesn't teach you dispel barrier, but tells you to go upstairs and learn it - I also had difficulty finding it, so be thorough.
As for getting beat up, I think that weapon damage is calculated differently than in previous Avernums, although I'm not sure, all I know is that a weapon that does 1-4 damage is better than the one that does 10-20 damage if you have some skill with the weapon type.
For example if you have 6 Archery (which is by the way finally very powerful in A4) and 6 Sharpshooter you will do average (4+1)/2 + (4/1)*(6+6) = 50,2 damage with the first bow and (10+20)/2 + (20/10)*(6+6) = 39 damage with the second one as I figure.

I'm not sure this helps, but I hope it does at least a little.

[ Wednesday, June 13, 2007 08:02: Message edited by: 25AnarhIztok11 ]

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
First you can play through all of A4 as a singleton in torment mode. It's been done with several different traits.

I think your problem with learning spells is that you need to have the minimum level in mage spells to learn from a trainer. Check the documentation for spell descriptions and look at your characters.

The worms are tough in the Tower Colony. You need to have all your protection and hasting spells in place before you fight them. Concentrate damage and make sure you stay healed up during the fight. It helps to slow them down or to use summoned creatures as shields.

The dispel barrier book is in a room above the mage who gives you the quest to remove the demon from the upper level of Tower Colony. The stairs to the spell book room are in the room in the northeast corner of Tower Colony and not the other ones. There are other spell books in the place,

[ Wednesday, June 13, 2007 14:15: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin:

Please give more detail...I can barely understand.
At least make it more clear. Then I can help you.

Irony, irony, irony...

--------------------
And if you have five seconds to spare
Then I'll tell you the story of my life...

Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #5
So what if there is irony, I learn from mistakes.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

I will kill whoever sings "the muffin man". The song is total bull.
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #6
I like your signature Nikki xx and I like ...

--------------------
You are asleep.
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.
So it goes.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #7
Actually, Mr X has nothing to do with the dispel barrier spell.You need to do a quest for Kelner, (the "leader" of the tower colony) and when you complete this quest, he will give you a key in reward, that allows you to open up a locked door in his room upstairs. Behind this door, you will find the spell-book for dispel barrier.

His quest is to purge the upstairs area of a powerful demon.

The worms you are facing are weak in taking damage, but powerful in dealing damage. Thus the trick here is to attack and kill them before they can kill your party. It helps if you summon several creatures to distract them for at least their first attack, kill them before their second turn comes up.

It also helps if you buff up/summon your decoy's before you spawn them. having lost this battle several times, you should know by now how far you can walk before they spawn...

The demon you need to kill is even harder, but it becomes doable once you realize his main attacks are cold based, just summon a load of shades with your priest,(keeping a safe distance, but so that your party is in line of sight and can attack him) then talk to him, then he will turn hostile, and attack him from a distance, while summoning new shades to replace the lost ones.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
Actually with the demon, he can't move so popping in hasted to cast acid spray and then using the rest of your movement to leave will wear him down. You can deal with his summoned minions outside the room.

This encounter is easier as a singleton since you don't have to move fighters out of the way to let your mage wipe out the demon.
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #9
The tower in ToM is very difficult the first time your go. My party of 4 found that it was undoable right away on torment. Just come back later.