Item storage

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Item storage
Apprentice
Member # 7617
Profile #0
Is there any problem or bug associated with leaving all of the items that I collect and don't want to sell sitting on the ground in one particular spot?

So far I've been dropping all the niffty stuff I want to keep ("just in case") at Pylon Grand Central Station, and I've recently started putting the jewelry in the jar that's in the cage area nearby. Is there anything I need to watch out for associated with this type of procedure?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Not that I'm aware of, but I still keep all of my currently unneeded items in a container. In fact, I keep all of my unneeded items in the jar you mentioned. I'm still trying to figure out how a small jar can hold 8 bars of metal, 10 fine leather, and over 60 gemstones. :)

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Apprentice
Member # 7617
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Not that I'm aware of, but I still keep all of my currently unneeded items in a container. In fact, I keep all of my unneeded items in the jar you mentioned. I'm still trying to figure out how a small jar can hold 8 bars of metal, 10 fine leather, and over 60 gemstones. :)
I hope no one breaks in there, because I've got about 60,000 gold worth of magic rings and necklaces in that little chamber pot.

Of course, in the room right out side of it, the entire floor is covered with magic swords, spears, bows, plate armor, boots, helmets and gloves.

I sometimes envision my characters coming up to that room and it looks like the toy room after my kids get done playing in it: no floor visible and everything scattered in a chaotic mess. And then they've (edit for clarity: my characters, not my kids ;) )got to wade through a ton of priceless, powerful heirlooms and artifacts, kicking aside Blessed Broadswords and Blessed Breasplates and tripping over Runed Helms to get to the other end of the room. It's a pretty funny picture in my head, anyway. ;)

[ Wednesday, November 15, 2006 13:01: Message edited by: Peter Principle ]
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #3
-X- prefers to store the items on the platform itself of Pylon Grand Central.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
It's a good strategy. However, there are a couple things to watch out for. I think you can only have 200 separate items in a zone (grouped items like iron bars count as a single item) before the least valuable stuff starts to disappear. Also, if you choose to drop a bunch of stuff in one spot on the ground, it can really slow down the game and/or characters will disappear whenever you walk near that spot.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 7617
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I think you can only have 200 separate items in a zone (grouped items like iron bars count as a single item) before the least valuable stuff starts to disappear.
What's a zone?

[ Wednesday, November 15, 2006 15:27: Message edited by: Peter Principle ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
A map area.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 7617
Profile #7
So would the first floor and basement of Ft. Avernum be two different zones?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #8
Yes.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
Taking a hint from others (especially Dikiyoba) I found that placing the items in small piles allows you to quickly see what is in that pile if they aren't too close. So all the wands are together in a corner, etc. It takes a few minutes to see everything, but having like items together speeds up finding just one or two things.

[ Wednesday, November 15, 2006 19:01: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Apprentice
Member # 7617
Profile #10
Speaking of keeping & hoarding items, I see that in two hidden caches I receieved two items that were seemingly valueless. One was a spoon, and the other was a skull. Are these just joke/flavor prizes? Or do I need to save these for something later?
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #11
Both items are just flavor. I've gone metal detecting a few times, and have gotten excited about some loud beeps, only to find out it's just a soda can ring or a bent nail. It's probably much the same with your characters.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #12
The following is some advice from a pack rat extraordinnaire.
quote:
Originally written by Peter Principle:

Is there any problem or bug associated with leaving all of the items that I collect and don't want to sell sitting on the ground in one particular spot?
I've been doing that for years with the GF and Avernum series, as well as E3. I have yet to find any type of bug, except that GF games have a limit as to how much you can put in one spot. And with E3, if there's too many items in a town or dungeon, you get a message like "too many items, some item destroyed" when you drop something, but you need a lot of items on the ground before that happens.

quote:
Originally written by Peter Principle:

So far I've been dropping all the niffty stuff I want to keep ("just in case") at Pylon Grand Central Station, and I've recently started putting the jewelry in the jar that's in the cage area nearby. Is there anything I need to watch out for associated with this type of procedure?
The only thing you really need is to remember what you've picked up, and you've put it. For example, in E3, I use the storage room where you get your gear, both as an item cache and as an alchemy lab (for the alchemy part, mostly I make and store Knowledge Brew and Strong Energy potions when my skill is high enough).

-----

Now for some general tips:

First, there's no thieves (except maybe you), so there's absolutely no worry that your items will sprout legs and walk off. :)

Second, if you think something might be even remotely useful, keep it. You never know what piece of junk might come in handy someday.

Third, you can use your cache for, well, cash. If there's some item I've collected but will never use, I have very few qualms selling it.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #13
èhh I've been hordeing since grindstone, all in neat little racks and each type of item has it's own little pot or shelf so there's no triping over demonslayers or gridles of might etc.

I horde just about everything thats even remotely magical, anything with a value over 100 is added and it's all stored in neat little piles in grindstone's storage area.

(the traps are still enabled and the doors still locked so anyone trying to steal say my eigth demonslayer will encounter some VERY nasty traps.

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Trust me, you do not want to click this link
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #14
You have eight Demonslayers?

*narrows eyes skeptically*

Either you have the character editor, or have encountered some sort of unusual bug.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #15
I suppose it'd be possible to reset sdf flags repeatedly... but yeah, I'm curious as to how Nija here obtained eight Demonslayers.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

You have eight Demonslayers?

*narrows eyes skeptically*

Either you have the character editor, or have encountered some sort of unusual bug.

My guess is the character editor.

I've never heard of someone honestly acquiring that many of a good item, except via the junk shops in E3.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #17
I offer a thought.

Einstein would turn in his grave, not only does god play dice, the dice are loaded.

(A Chinese scientist, quotation on the quantum theory)

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
That's a fictitious Chinese chairman, not a scientist.

—Alorael, who doesn't really see how that helps unless you are multiplying your Demonslayers through advanced quantum chemistry. Why not just blame it on alchemy?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7617
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I suppose it'd be possible to reset sdf flags repeatedly... but yeah, I'm curious as to how Nija here obtained eight Demonslayers.
You could basically have as many as you wanted just from editing the game files, couldn't you? Just replace the item characteristics for bronze short swords and cavewood bows with those of your magic item of choice.

[ Thursday, November 16, 2006 13:54: Message edited by: Peter Principle ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #20
True. However, we don't know how well he can script in AvernumScript (since A4 and the Geneforge series basically run off a modified version of this). For all we know, he might not even know what an SDF is.

Besides, you'd have to do more than reset an SDF. You would have to revive a dead character.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7617
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Schrodinger:

Both items are just flavor. I've gone metal detecting a few times, and have gotten excited about some loud beeps, only to find out it's just a soda can ring or a bent nail. It's probably much the same with your characters.
That's awesome. It would almost be disappointing if it did have some purpose. A spoon! Ha!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #22
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

all mine all mine!!!!!

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #23
By Nija:
quote:
I offer a thought.

Einstein would turn in his grave, not only does god play dice, the dice are loaded.

(A Chinese scientist, quotation on the quantum theory)
Bah. University FTW!

As for multiple Demonslayers, I seem to recall hearing about a bug that lets you duplicate items. Something like picking up an item, saving, reloading, then dropping it.

--------------------
I think I just failed a Spot check.
- Belkar (OotS #3)