Fun things to do in Avernum 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Fun things to do in Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #0
I'm looking for reasons to replay it. Please provide suggestions...

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
Aside from trying the 1 PC party and stuff like that, the game is quite linear without much variation.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
You could play with a utility mage, who's only purpose is to cast beneficial and mental spells.

EDIT: Here's a challenge. Try stealing things from every town in the game, WITHOUT killing anybody in the town.

[ Saturday, September 30, 2006 07:08: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #3
That's not a challenge! You can steal anything you want as long as people don't see you do it.
If you are patient you can steal much more than the stuff behind doors by waiting until all peeps wander out of sight.
Then you can still steal 2 things in plain sight before a town becomes hostile.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
Try an all-magic-users party. It's very satisfying, and it got me to try a second run... granted, not past Fort Remote.

Having two priests with RETRIBUTION!!!!!!!!! really makes things fun.

[ Saturday, September 30, 2006 12:09: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #5
Three priests and one mage was a complete hoot.

Summoned a lot of shades I did. Sent SWARMS of summons at mine enemies. Buffed summons, with shields and blessings and what not.

Nothing could resist me for long. Shades destroy pretty much everything.

Mage was practically useless near the endgame though. He mostly just unlocked stuff or casted the occasional shield. The priests pretty much vaporised everything on the screen or swarmed stuff with summons and then burned stuff down.

In AVIV, I hate to say it, but the mages got the short end of the stick. They suck. They have power in the beginning, but fizzle out midgame, just when the priest is gaining their real power.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
Play a game where you murder everyone you can without getting caught. I love entering a shop, closing the door, murdering the keeper and taking his stuff, and then being on my merry way, with the townspeople being none the wiser.

There is, of course, the possibility that that is how you play it the first time, in which case, this time don't kill anyone?

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #7
By 'steal from every town', I meant steal everything in all of the towns in the game.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #8
Try playing as an amateur geologist.

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Apprentice
Member # 7498
Profile #9
I'm contemplating a replay just so I can stock every last magical herb I come across so at the end game I can have that secluded mage (sorry, can't recall the name) whip up as many knowledge brews as possible.
Heh... also since I should be able to know when a town has 'outlived' its usefulness (like Monastery has a role toward the end game... Formello is pretty much a 'once through' I believe) I would enjoy an all out massacare! ESPECIALLY Almaria... hmmm and now I think about it, I wonder what would happen if I took out the CASTLE at the end ??!! Is that even possible?
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I first read that as amateur gynocologist.

My, what a BIG cave!

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #11
I really like the geologist idea. Not so keen on the gynaecology idea, though :P

I forget, does Avernum 4 also have anything else collectible, other than stones, steel & herbs?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #12
Originally by elgittens:

quote:
I would enjoy an all out massacare! ESPECIALLY Almaria... hmmm and now I think about it, I wonder what would happen if I took out the CASTLE at the end ??!! Is that even possible?
I think that you can kill everyone in the game but the king and get away with it. But you have to be careful not to kill people who help you too soon, otherwise you can get stuck.

Originally by Jumpin' Salmon:

quote:
Dikiyoba is curious. How, exactly, would that work?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

quote:
Dikiyoba is curious. How, exactly, would that work?

Every time you find a rock or crystal, you pick it up. And you have to keep it in your inventory until the end of the game. No selling them. I guess the same would go for steel, iron, gold, and silver.

You'd never win, but it'd be an epic handicap.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
Originally by Ephesos:

quote:
Every time you find a rock or crystal, you pick it up. And you have to keep it in your inventory until the end of the game. No selling them. I guess the same would go for steel, iron, gold, and silver.
I'm actually thinking that clearing out a zone completely and then arranging everything that gets collected in neat little piles would make more sense.

Hmm. Dikiyoba might just make a character who does that. It would work well with the character who runs away in fear at the sight of cave slimes.

[ Sunday, October 01, 2006 12:32: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
Nope, Ephesos got it on the first try. You need to carry all the rocks, minerals, bars you find for the entire game. This loads you down (a little), so make sure you have the correct (light) armor and weapon (bow) and that you know a few speed spells. Of course during the fights it is sensible to drop some rocks to get movement points. Otherwise you couldn't do anything, could you?

Amateur geologists aren't real interested in anything except rocks, light, and caves. You should probably ignore all miscellania you run across, unless it is to be immediately equipped. That frees up more backpack for rocks. ;)

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
You could even add a special dialogue option for every Crystal Soul you come across.

"Excuse me, can I add you to my rock and mineral collection?"

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #17
I can just imagine the response to that...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #18
Modify the script so you can ask crystal souls to accompany you as special items. It would be a more satisfying ending.
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #19
Try to complete all the trials. That was a tough one for me.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Most parties can complete the trials, though, especially by the end of the game. Completing them all right when you first arrive is more difficult, especially the first one.

—Alorael, who has a far better challenge than being a geologist. Be a nudist! Throw off the bondage of clothes and armor. Bonus points for giving up weapons, too. Even more for giving up weapons and spells!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #21
Hitchiker's Guide to Avernum.

Go through the game with nothing but a robe and a towel. You hoopy frood.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #22
I guess in that case I would be allowed a fish? ;)

Hooray for nudity! Not too keen on giving up spells, though. That would make the game impossible, wouldn't it?

[ Monday, October 02, 2006 11:41: Message edited by: Archimandrite Micawber ]

--------------------

His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #23
Yes, you should carry every fish you find. And stick one in your ear if possible.

Rentar is only trying to destroy Avernum to make way for an underground bypass you know.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #24
Do you think Rentar really has a heart of gold? How improbable.

--------------------

Pages