New Playable Race?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New Playable Race?
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #0
It's highly unlikely that Jeff will implement a new race in future Avernum games, but if he did what would people most like to see? This is PURELY a "what if?" thread, just pick what you would want to see, not what you expect to see.

[ Tuesday, May 09, 2006 17:25: Message edited by: Mister Fox ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=kYhpAwXExVHW"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=kYhpAwXExVHW"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
I'm drunk as think as you not am I.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #1
I think that Jeff Vogel's universe is fine and dandy with the three primary (mid level, as opposed to higher, such as vahnatai, or lower, such as trogs, giants, and ogres) available to to the player. Lower or higher level humanoids would just unbalance everything.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #2
Creatures like dragons, demons, undead, and especially aranea would offer a fairly limited plot. All of these creatures are feared or disliked to some degree by the townspeople, so you would have to play on the side of trying to destroy Exile.

Wolf and fox-like humanoids are redundant to the two already playable humanoids.

Vahnatai - Honestly, I'd much rather see Jeff take the plot in a different direction. Vahnatai are done as demons, IMO.

GIFTS - The thought makes me insane.

Swamp Folk?
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
If Jeff introduces more races, which strikes me as unnecessary, he should not create new races from whole cloth. He's got a world and more races that already exist could be used if they have to be. That's goblins, troglodytes, vahnatai, and yes, GIFTS.

—Alorael, whose list is not exhaustive.

[ Tuesday, May 09, 2006 18:03: Message edited by: Bandage on the Uvula of Time ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Miya:

Swamp Folk?
I think they only appeared in "A Small Rebellion" but they may have been in E3/A3, I'm not entirely sure. They're a race of fungal humanoids who live in swamps.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
Swamp folk have only appeared in A Small Rebellion, seem to be incapable of communication with other species, and have a degree of magical skill. I'm not sure, but they might technically be of the creature type Plant.

That said, they got my vote. Everything else was useless. And if we allow undead or demons as races, we might as well get the name changed to World of Ermarian. (play on World of Warcraft, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about)

(And we get it, you like foxes and wolves...)

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
Swamp folk at EE

It really is a crime to not have goblins on that list.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
It would be cool to play as a GIFTS, if only to see the "Hi, you're cute!" dialogue option.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

It would be cool to play as a GIFTS, if only to see the "Hi, you're cute!" dialogue option.
Yeah, but the local town wizard would likely catch you so he can further his research.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
That, and townspeople would just start running from you after a while. Dialogue would be cut short by NPCs slinking away... I can see it now:

PC: "Hi, you're cute!"
X: "Erm... I must go find an anvil."

PC: "Hi, I'm Spider!"
King Micah: "Uh... that's nice. Spider, these are my guards."

PC: "Hi, wanna be my mate?"
Garzahd: "I would, but I must be going. Demons to summon, wars to wage... you know, that sort of thing. You're very cute, though."

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
PC: "Hi, wanna be my mate?"
Garzahd: "I would, but I must be going. Demons to summon, wars to wage... you know, that sort of thing. You're very cute, though."
The lunatics have found each other.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #11
Plus you'd have to disable the Change Name option.

Seriously, if horribly, Jeff has the technology (from Geneforge 3) to incorporate NPC longtime companions who participate in dialogs. So you could have the option of picking up a GIFT, presumably be finally saying Yes to one that wants you for a mate.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7101
Profile #12
I wouldn't really want new races. The Vahnatai would certainly be interesting to play, but they really don't belong as a player race, since they're so overpowered, and because they are so removed from the day to day lives of humans, which the games mostly sympathise with.

Spiders would be interesting as well, but again they obviously don't belong as a player race. This one would be interesting, though, for the fact that they would of course be unable to use weapons or armour. I'd enjoy playing some sort of fighter that has to rely solely on their physical attributes rather than their equipment. However, you'd have to either play out of character, which would make no sense, or the dialogue tree would become really annoying and stupid.

And since I'm not into zoophilia, I don't want to see more yiffy races. Sure, it's fine and even interesting having beast races in the game, but I really don't want to see the entire racial selection list filled up with furry lovetoys, and then "Oh yeah, and you can play a human. If you must.".
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
Playing out of character is already an issue. If you party is all sliths or all nephils, there are frequent situations where the dialog makes no sense and you just have to pretend you're humans. There are workarounds, as (exhaustively) demonstrated in Kel's scenario Bahssikava, but I'm not sure the effort would be worth it, for a full-sized game that focuses on humans.

Troglos, I think, could actually work; they can communicate with humans, they are the same size, have similar bodily needs, and are of comparable capabilities. But they wouldn't add anything to the game, and it would be odd.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7101
Profile #14
Well, I already thought that those two races didn't belong in the straight Avernum games. Blades, perhaps, because who knows what situations the designer will put the player in. But not Avernum.

Still, they're there, and I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth to take them out, since they're an established fact of the series now. I'd just prefer not to compound the problem even further by adding to it.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #15
I couldn't vote in this poll, because it's missing the "none of the above" option.
quote:
Originally written by Noddy:

Well, I already thought that those two races didn't belong in the straight Avernum games. Blades, perhaps, because who knows what situations the designer will put the player in. But not Avernum.

Still, they're there, and I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth to take them out, since they're an established fact of the series now. I'd just prefer not to compound the problem even further by adding to it.

Nephils, Sliths, and Vahnatai are one of the major things that distinguishes Exile/Avernum universe from generic RPGs where you wade through hordes of goblins/orcs with the help of elves and halflings. If we start removing races from games just because some people have dirty minds, we'd pretty soon end up with games containing only stick-figure drawings of generic humans.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Noddy:

furry lovetoys
lmfto I love your terminology, I'm going to steal that and use it in my everyday life.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Mister Fox:

lmfto
?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #18
Personally I don't want to see any new races in Avernum.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:

quote:
Originally written by Mister Fox:

lmfto
?

Laughing My Fluffy Tail Off

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #20
I see my fear was well justified.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #21
IMAGE(http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Humor/SayNo/Images/SayNo-Furries.png)

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Wild Kinky Slugs:

Hey that's not nice :P

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Wild Kinky Slugs:

Nice.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #24
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------

Pages