New Playable Race?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New Playable Race?
Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #25
How can Goblins not be on that list?

It would have to be goblins or vahnatai really. New races are not needed. Either could be justified if one was say found as a a baby and raised.
Apprentice
Member # 7101
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:
Nephils, Sliths, and Vahnatai are one of the major things that distinguishes Exile/Avernum universe from generic RPGs where you wade through hordes of goblins/orcs with the help of elves and halflings. If we start removing races from games just because some people have dirty minds, we'd pretty soon end up with games containing only stick-figure drawings of generic humans.

Like I said, they shouldn't be removed. I don't think they should have been made playable, but they're there now, and that's that.

Although my reasons for removing them weren't because of filthy furries, but because they didn't really fit in as well as a playable race should into Avernum society. A lot more people should have hated them than actually did, considering how long they had been (from the Avernites perspective) murdering and raiding humans.

Anyway, what's wrong with stick figure drawings of generic humans?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #27
The most underdeveloped race in nearly all RPGs and CRPGs are humans. I'd prefer new cultural groups and such rather than new races.

I wonder how a goblin PC would work? For a change of pace, how about an experience bonus and lots of disadvantages?

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will create an Avernum game with the fully mapped out possibility of evil PCs. No more of this namby-pamby 'I'm going to pilfer this from you as I go about altruistically saving the world' stuff.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #28
Originally by Dintiradan:

quote:
I will create an Avernum game with the fully mapped out possibility of evil PCs. No more of this namby-pamby 'I'm going to pilfer this from you as I go about altruistically saving the world' stuff.
Surely you don't have to wait until you are an Evil Overlord to do that? Or will that scenario's release be the signal that you are ready and that your most competent and evil agents should go out and put Plan O into action?

(Notice how brilliant Plan O is. It is not painfully obvious like The Top Secret Plan For Taking Over The World nor is it something ridiculously complex like Plan 684.3251, Section 4, Clause C. Furthermore, it is far enough along in the alphabet that it is not likely to be confused with any of the hero's plans, like Plan A or Plan B or Plan C would.)

-----

Dikiyoba likes having nephilim and slithzerakai be playable species. It adds a roleplaying perspective (purely in Dikiyoba's mind, though) that would be missed in a party of only humans. But Dikiyoba is quite satisfied with only three playable species.
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #29
Demon's would be interesting to play.
I've always wondered what things would be like from a demon's point of view rather than "Look human's DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
As for goblins they are mainly to weak to become adventures. They would probably be killed by another tribe mate anyway.

--------------------
I hate you all
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #30
Thanks for reminding me to go get my tags for hunting season this fall.

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #31
By Dikiyoba:
quote:
(Notice how brilliant Plan O is. It is not painfully obvious like The Top Secret Plan For Taking Over The World nor is it something ridiculously complex like Plan 684.3251, Section 4, Clause C. Furthermore, it is far enough along in the alphabet that it is not likely to be confused with any of the hero's plans, like Plan A or Plan B or Plan C would.)
Don't be so sure.

--------------------
Haley: Think of it as 'Plan B'.
Belkar: 'B'? Didn't we go through this already? We're on like Plan Q.

Haley: Shhh! I'm getting an idea.
Belkar: And so, Plan R begins to take form.

Belkar: So. Plan S, then?
- OotS
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #32
Maybe Jeff will make an Avernum from the Vahnatai perspective where you play as the Vahnatai rather than the original three races. I know that he swore he would never allow Vahnatai PCs but remember, he also swore he would never make a 4th Avernum...
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

Maybe Jeff will make an Avernum from the Vahnatai perspective where you play as the Vahnatai rather than the original three races. I know that he swore he would never allow Vahnatai PCs but remember, he also swore he would never make a 4th Avernum...
Yes and let's not forget that JV also swore that the short lived sellout cereal "Exile-Os" would stay crunchy in milk.

-Kardas, whose sweetened corn and oat adventurers got soggy :(

[ Monday, May 15, 2006 16:29: Message edited by: Mister Fox ]

--------------------
I'm drunk as think as you not am I.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #34
quote:
I know that he swore he would never allow Vahnatai PCs but remember, he also swore he would never make a 4th Avernum...
I thought it was Exile IV that he said he would not make, although I could have missed the Avernum extension to that statement. At any rate, I highly doubt he will go that route any time soon.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #35
I'm going to argue FOR stick figure race, can be any sex/combination of and as I play, I can imagine it to be any race whatsoever.

Biggest drawback I see is vulerability to fire attacks and/or erasers (JV use ink to make that stick figure please)

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #36
Subraces are good.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #37
Necromancy is bad.

--------------------
I will not send out batalions composed wholly of robots or skeletons against heroes who have qualms about killing living beings.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #38
Cake is good.

[ Monday, May 22, 2006 14:13: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #39
Pie too.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #40
Spam is bad.

Dikiyoba feels slightly guilty about this post, because it feels too much like spam.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #41
Yes, this topic is finished.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages