Dowdy's Stupid Iron

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Dowdy's Stupid Iron
Apprentice
Member # 7104
Profile Homepage #0
This is a really dumb question, but I'm all detail-obsessed like that. Early in the game, Dowdy says Go and Fetch Me Iron. I forgot about it, and now I'm sick of seeing it in my quest list. So I've gone around getting iron (buying it, in some cases), and I must have brought him at least 15 bars by now.

Does this quest ever end? Is there a certain amount (or a special bar) I need to bring to get him off my case? Or am I doomed to have his command hanging over me like a stupid Sword o' Damocles for the rest of my Avernal life?

I know, dumb thing for me to get worked up about. Thanks in advance for any help..
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #1
No, the quest cannot be "completed" in the sense that it will be removed from the quest list. Don't buy him any more iron, since it's just a way for your party to gain money. Nothing more and nothing less.

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #2
I bothered to loot everything that has a value greater than 3 or could be stacked untill it has such value. yes EVERYTHING.

Because Dowdy gives a better price for iron bars than normal merchants do, I also bothered to bring him EVERY bar I could loot, including some with a NY tag. I didn't count them, but I think it must be somewhere around 500 bars in total.

And he only accepts iron, fine steel he doesn't want.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #3
After you have *crossed* Fort Remote and Fort Spire it is not worth the $25 nor the weight or the trip, I think.

[ Saturday, May 06, 2006 10:00: Message edited by: Marcelo ]

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
Thanks to the pylons it's worth the trip since you can sell everything else to the merchant in the same trip. Since there is a maximum amount of loot in the game it pays to haul every piece of junk that is sellable to a merchant.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #5
I took every bar of iron I could find to Dowdy. I gave all of the bars to one character, and when he was getting close to being encumbered I used the pylons to teleport back and forth. For the most part the extra cash was more that worth the couple minutes it took to make the deliveries, IMO.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #6
I'd throw the iron at Dawdy's head rather than just sell it to him. Then you could loot his corpse. :)

--------------------
I hate you all
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Originally by Bomber:

quote:
I'd throw the iron at Dawdy's head rather than just sell it to him. Then you could loot his corpse.
So it was you who killed that goose that laid those golden eggs. :P

Dikiyoba.
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #8
No the goose committed suicide yes thats right suicide!!!
*Try's to hide the gold eggs behind his blood covered shirt*

--------------------
I hate you all
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
Dawdy is bit strange. What is he doing with all that iron?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 5781
Profile Homepage #10
This is kinda off topic, but for some reason a bug makes Iron bars sell for 4000 with this guy. Any clues?
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #11
All I can think of is that the Fort Monastery script has been changed to give you 4000 instead. Have you messed with any of the scripts, or installed a script-based editor/cheat? In my version, talknode 93 in z60monasterdlg.txt has code
change_coins(num_of_item(262) * 20);
take_num_of_item(262,num_of_item(262));
If that 20 happens to be 4000 instead, you might want to change it back. Make sure you back up the scripts folder before you start changing it, though, just in case something goes wrong.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Hawk King's editor makes the iron bar quest give much more money than usual (among other things), so if you're using that, that's your problem.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5781
Profile Homepage #13
Oh yeah. I DLed it but decided not to use it because it seemed too cheap. Oh well. It's useful.

But isn't it redundant because there's an option to fill your purse anyways?
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Quoting Croikle:
All I can think of is that the Fort Monastery script has been changed to give you 4000 instead. Have you messed with any of the scripts, or installed a script-based editor/cheat? In my version, talknode 93 in z60monasterdlg.txt has code
code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

change_coins(num_of_item(262) * 20);
take_num_of_item(262,num_of_item(262));

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that 20 happens to be 4000 instead, you might want to change it back. Make sure you back up the scripts folder before you start changing it, though, just in case something goes wrong.

Actually as of 12/25/05 till today it's * 2000 (vice 4000 instead of * 20 per iron bar (item262)) and the next line is missing causing it to not take item from party and when it hits 30000 it goes to zero coins. You can fix Hawk Kings Dawdy prob by adding the second line as quoted above (this is from original script). You could even leave the * 2000 alone and it will simply stop at 30000 coins. The Dawdy quest is good because if you aren't using an editor he pays more than anyone in the game at 20 (vice 7) coins and iron bars are fairly plentiful (though heavy). I also have wondered why, other than a better sell price, and ability to get more coins early in game, this quest is there as it appears you can't complete it. The above reasons are enough to have it though. After you're farther into the game you'll just skip ol' Dawdy anyhow.

Note: It would be best to copy and paste from original to correct count and replace missing line. Don't really need the 20 to be 2000 as Bodrie will fill your purse to 30000 for the asking if you are using Hawk Kings A4 editor.

P.S. Can the name Dowdy in this thread be changed from Dowdy to Dawdy?

[ Saturday, June 24, 2006 11:54: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."