a4 is the best game yet

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: a4 is the best game yet
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #50
I never played much of Baldur's Gate at all, but the parts I did play I found immensely enjoyable. Why? The game world responds to your actions. Murder random elves for their treasure and the police-mages track you down. They actually chase you. Individual party members abandon you, people respond when you kill their cows, etc. It was a very immersive experience.

EDIT: Typo.

[ Tuesday, May 02, 2006 15:08: Message edited by: I Would Have Been Your Daddy ]

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #51
This game sounds cool where do i download it?

EDIT: Baldur's Gate not A4.

[ Tuesday, May 02, 2006 16:26: Message edited by: Bomber ]

--------------------
I hate you all
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #52
Ditto what Kel said. I really don't like the D&D memorize, cast, and rememorize magic system, and I usually get stuck and bored somewhere in the middle of Baldur's Gate I and II, say I'll come back later, and then do so by restarting entirely. I have yet to finish either.

Bomber, Baldur's Gate II is not downloadable. There might be a demo somewhere, but you'll definitely have to purchase it. All the usual suspects (Google, Amazon, etc.) apply.

—Alorael, who maybe ought to give BG2 another whirl.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #53
Oh well........... :(

--------------------
I hate you all
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #54
I, too, absolutely hate the D&D spell system. I prefer games like Geneforge or Avernum where the number of spells is more limited but they're all useful, and the spell's power depends on the skill of the caster.

That said, I found Baldur's Gate II and the expansion pack to be excellent CRPGs. I found the first Baldur's Gate to be pretty good. I found Icewind Dale to be pretty dull. I never tried Planescape because it never made it to the Mac side of things.

And now, to bring this back to the topic at hand, I think Avernum IV is the most technically sophisticated game Jeff has ever produced, and the combat system is much more fun than any previous Avernum. I prefer A4's combat system to BG's combat system.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #55
For the record - I'm still waiting for Jeff to turn off that damn spycam. It's pure hell using the computer while sheathed in tin foil, and this fake nose and moustache tickles.

--------------------
WWtNSD?
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #56
What spycam??? :confused:

--------------------
I hate you all
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by Bomber:

He's kidding. I think I missed the context, but he's kidding.

EDIT: Ah, right. I remember that bit now...

[ Wednesday, May 03, 2006 13:47: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Bomber:

He's kidding. I think I missed the context, but he's kidding.

I think Salmon was replying to this:
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

And sometimes the customer is a paranoid schizophrenic who thinks that my game is spying on him. (Yes. It happened.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 7083
Profile #59
quote:
While I am a huge fan of Planescape: Torment, I feel that Baldur's Gate II is one of the all-time great RPGs. I felt just as caught up in the story, but there was more game there. Torment was beautifully written, but I spent a lot of time going, "Oh, will you shut up? I want to hit something!"
IMO, Torment had a much more interesting setting and more interesting characters (I almost cried when you had flashbacks of how much pain you put Morte through while he was telling you how he was going to stick with you no matter what), but BG2 had one of the best villains ever. Irenicus didn't just sit in his strongholds and wait for you to come, he taunted you, manipulated you, worked to increase his power while you chased him, had wonderfully condescending dialogue, and just made me think to myself "Okay, this guy just NEEDS to die by my hand." He was a wonderful focal point for the player. Even the huge side quests still indirectly dealt with him since they were a means for the player to amass the funds needed to get to his hideout. Being both too distant to directly strike but still able to taunt and talk to you in the same way a person might do to an annoying dog or child made for an entertainingly infuriating antagonist.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

For the record - I'm still waiting for Jeff to turn off that damn spycam. It's pure hell using the computer while sheathed in tin foil, and this fake nose and moustache tickles.
Yes, yes, please Jeff stop spying on all of us. I am sure A4 was built specifically for this purpose. Why else would that traveling merchant need to follow your group. What was his name, Oliver or something?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #61
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Well, yes, I thought the fact that I was being facetious in my expectation that he would be sorry that people liked his game was pretty much implied, but thank you for ruining the joke by explaining it.
Well, it wasn't very funny anyway. But that's a personal matter. Sorry, but for some reason I really felt like saying that.

And I'm not surprised that Jeff gets all these emails, as I would like the game, if the Geneforge graphics weren't in there. Otherwise, why not? Now that its turn-based again (again: as in the GF series wasn't turn-based to the extent of Avernum), the gameplay is once again fun.

The thing that attracted me to Spiderweb games, and thus Avernum, was that it was turn-based. Throw that out, and you lost me. In a time where games are rushed and you constantly have to look around to see if nobody throws a hypersonic-antenna-nuclear-refrigartor-bomb or whatever sort of weapon, its nice to hae the option to drink coffee and eat your sandwich while being attacked by two Haakai and seven demons. If you get my point.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

its nice to hae the option to drink coffee and eat your sandwich while being attacked by two Haakai and seven demons. If you get my point.
It's nicer not to get attacked by two Hakaii and 7 demons to start with, but I have to agree with you. I think that real-time should be kept woth RTS and FPS, not RPG.

And after my original short-comings about Avernum 4, I must say that I bought it after a day or two, so it's not that bad.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Apprentice
Member # 898
Profile #63
Honestly, playing avernum 4 I think parts of it could do with a real-time system. Sometimes you just do the same trival fights again and again and AGAIN...I'd like to be able to burn through those fast. Not freeze the game completely like it works now.

Alternative - half the amount of monsters in dungeons and outdoors, plus clump them up a bit.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Joeaverage:

Alternative - half the amount of monsters in dungeons and outdoors, plus clump them up a bit.
I'm against RTS in Avernum, and I'm against this too. Because the game had to switch to "townlessness", a lot of the game space wound up being empty or filler (or so it seemed after killing the hundredth cave bat). Either of those alternatives would make the vast majority of the game space feel empty.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 5732
Profile #65
<<"The customer is always right.">>

Well, more accurately, the customer THINKS s/he is always right, which of course makes it next to impossible to win an argument.

Maybe it should be rewritten as:

"The customer thinks s/he is always right, therefore don't bother trying to argue and just go along, with the hope s/he will go away and leave you alone."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #66
I am not sure what sort of business wants its customers to go away and leave it alone.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by Archmagus Micael:

I must say that I bought it after a day or two, so it's not that bad.
God, do I hate such statements. I know, I shouldn't take it so serious, but such a statement immediatly signifies that what that particulair person thinks is truth. I hate such arrogance.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #68
CHILL** :cool:

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #69
"I am not sure what sort of business wants its customers to go away and leave it alone."

Depends on the customer. I've gotten some really nasty pieces of work over the years. Here's a hot tip for gaming fans on a budget. If you scream obscenities at me on the phone for long enough, I will refund your money to get you to leave me alone.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #70
Oooh. What's your phone number? And do you have caller ID? :P

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #71
Check the Spiderweb site for the number. Also check Irony Central for warning signs of zealous followers with lead pipes who will extract a pound of flesh from any obnoxious customers.

—Alorael, who very much doubts that these ravening hordes will be bothered very much if some blood is extracted in the process as long as it doesn't get on their new clothes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #72
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

If you scream obscenities at me on the phone for long enough, I will refund your money to get you to leave me alone.

- Jeff Vogel

Lol. Why would someone even bother? I'm picturing an upset parent, who probably thinks Avernum is against their religion.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

I'm picturing an upset parent, who probably thinks Avernum is against their religion.
*cough* *Ben's parents* *cough*

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #74
I'm still waiting for Jeff to get around to installing my free spycam so I can ask him whose been playing with my computer when I'm not around.

I see Apple has them in the new computers so Jeff just has to download the images when you log on to the boards. Didn't you ever wonder why there are more delays when you open a thread?

Pages