Talking ( Reputation / persuasion )

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Talking ( Reputation / persuasion )
Warrior
Member # 4084
Profile #0
I have two questions about contact and talking with NPCs:

1. would like to know if there is a skill which determines what the outcome of a conversation will be (or if different options appear in the dialogue responses). In talking to "Oliver" the merchant , in the very beginning of the storyline, he says he went past the guards based on some kind of persuasion skill... that's why I was wondering.

2. In the manual I read that completing quests will "earn better reputation..." How or where is "reputation" indicated?

--------------------
"Military justice is to justice what military music is to music" -G.M.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Reputation existed in the earlier games, Avernum 1-3, where having a high reputation got you things. That no longer exists.

There are some actions that can help or hurt you in conversations. Stealing a NY (not yours) item in sight of an NPC can cause them to turn hostile is the easiest example. In Bargha, Gladwell asks you to feed his slimes and if you kill them he will not help you anymore (If you kill one it doesn't matter). Fulfilling that request gets you free access to a spellbook behind a barrier.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
While there isn't any reputation per se, there are some quests that have to be done before you can do other quests. It's fairly obvious which quests are important like that.

—Alorael, who can only think of a handful of sequential but inconsequential quests. The fiancé quests in another active thread are a good example.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4084
Profile #3
gotcha, thanks for the info... but why would rep. be taken away in the Avernum IV? Has it been replaced in one way or another?

and what about the first point regarding conversation/ persuasion? The reason I'm asking is because I created a thief (a class which I usually like having in a party) and I like attributing that sort of skill to him/her...

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
There's no Leadership like in GF, if that's what you're asking.

And Reputation just kind of went away, like heights and puzzles.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #5
And secret rooms. I really miss banging my head into walls looking for hidden hallways. In fact, a lot of what I really loved about the Exile games is sadly missing. But I'm still playing and it's fun. Just not as much.

---Zelda

--------------------
Hey, where are we going? And what's with the handbasket?
Apprentice
Member # 3828
Profile #6
Bangs head against wall.

That's one thing I do miss even if it was frustrating. Secret walls. It also means we lost farsight and that fantastic sound you made when you couldn't go through a wall. It would have been nice to keep move mountain at least.

--------------------
Morbo is pleased but sticky...
Warrior
Member # 4084
Profile #7
I read some threads and many of the "annoying" things that were taken away were things I happened to like. Maybe these same "annoying" things were annoying for a specific reason and could have, instead of being omitted completely, been simply edited or modified. I decided not to purchase the game but I'm trying GF3 and actually enjoying it far more...

I do have the same basic questions for GF3 but will post them later in the respective category...

--------------------
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #8
As it has been said to many times now, there are still secret passages.

They stay secret until somebody tells you about them, or if your luck allows you to find one.

What is the point of a secret passage if any random person could find it? Not terribly secret is it?

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
A4 doesn't have secret passages that one has to look for, and it was the looking that was the fun part.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #10
I wasn't sure about a lot of the things at first, but now I am thouroughly addicted. When I try to play BoA I keep on clicking on a spot and wondering why my party isn't going there. I'm also quite fond of the seamlessness between town and outdoors.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6983
Profile #11
I agree, we need to see a return to the old secret doors. It really gave a feeling of exploration to the old games (like Blades of Exile)! There has been a long standing tradition of headbanging in most RPGs, and to see it go is sad. Its a step backwards in enjoyment!
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #12
It would be nice to have secret passeges you can get into by headbanging and some that people would have to tell you about like in bashikova BoA (there is a secret door that the friendly slith has to tell you about b4 u can use it
Apprentice
Member # 6913
Profile #13
The reason why I didn't bought Av1-3 was the constant headache from banging into walls all the time. A few could be OK. Hard to find randomly but not with some hints in which area to look for example.

--------------------
Segla i medvind
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #14
With Farsight its easy to find secret passages, but if you map enough you could usually narrow it down to a blank area on the map. After a while I could usually guess where a secret door should be hidden. Besides it's fun to find hidden stuff.