Losin' it

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Losin' it
Apprentice
Member # 6216
Profile #0
Well, I'm pretty much ready to give up on this.
I'm in that horrible mess west of Fort Remote and it seems like I'm playing a different game!
So far, I've hugely enjoyed this game (having played Geneforge before Avernum, I rather like the way this one works) but I'm quickly losing interest.

I can't move two steps without freezing (that shield spell that is supposed to help prevent that is utterly useless) - whoever said you can get through this by hugging the wall is either smoking something they shouldn't or has characters that are thinner than mine.
Of course, it's hard to tell in which direction one ought to go hugging those walls - by now I'm so totally lost that I'm running around in circles.
Yes, I'm sure there is a way to get through this, but it seems to be a tedious process that is anything but fun - this is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Kinda tired of spending a half hour per pylon to get them out of my way only to find that I'm back where I started.
In desperation, I changed the setting to "easy" and am even using cheat codes now, just to get this bit over with.

My question is, is the rest of the game as frustrating as this bit, or do things get back to normal game play? If this were the end of the game I'd just quit, but I'd like to do the Abyss piece which, as I understand, can't be accessed until this quest. However, if the rest of it is like this, I really can't be bothered.

Yeah, I'm as bummed out as I sound

:mad:
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Okay, first, the game does change back to "normal" after you finish Rentar's keep.

But as for that section of the game, here's a general tip: Move slowly, and watch the edge of your vision range. If you can see a pylon, you've probably gone the wrong way. If that pylon can attack you, you've definitely gone the wrong way.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 6216
Profile #2
You have got to be kidding me. This would mean that you have to play the game one step (grid square) at a time and reload the game every time a pylon comes into view. Is that the intent here??

(spoiler)

If I travel north (west of Fort Remote), I have three options: The east path leads to 5 or 6 stairs down, all of which end up with pylons at the end.
The middle one just leads to a bunch of golems and those zombies.
The west one has a pylon right in the middle - no way can you slide past that.
Am I missing an entrance somewhere??
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #3
Just use my method.That is wiping out every pylon and enemy you see.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
If I recall correctly...

-Take the path farthest west from Fort Remote
-Then, once you cross a small chasm and see some more pylons to the north, cut across to the east, until you reach the easternmost tunnel of those three.
-Head north, and you'll find a few passages downward.

(And I didn't mean save with every step. I just meant walk slowly, because when you're just able to see a pylon, you're one square out of its strike range)

EDIT: You'll know you've found the right place because you'll get a text message to the effect of "the Avernite soldiers somehow managed to destroy these pylons".

[ Monday, March 20, 2006 17:02: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #5
Just do this: if combat starts, step your characters back a space, end combat, and try another direction.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #6
That's odd, on my pass through all the paths had pylons blocking them. Later paths didn't, but even then it wasn't very helpful. As a side note, has anyone noticed that if you leave some pylons alone and head back occasionally that they change to different types.

[ Monday, March 20, 2006 17:28: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #7
I haven't seen this ,because I destroyed the pylons.On a different note each pylon has a weakness to either fire,cold,or lightning.fire is best for opal,lightning is good for jade,cold is good for ruby.(Please repost them if I have them all wrong)

[ Tuesday, March 21, 2006 16:10: Message edited by: Shuan Wuan ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #8
I'd recommend taking the path describedhere as that should get you through without much hassle.

Opal pylons fall to fire, ruby fall to ice, and jade fall to lightning.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6216
Profile #9
Hmm, well, I got tired of beating up pylons (odd, when faced with hard-to-kill humanoid mobs I don't seem to get as frustrated. I guess it's more fun when they have a face :D

Anyway, I cheated my way out of this. Taking Epheso's advice as a hint of sorts, I used the cheatcode that makes all monsters visible. It was then quite easy to see the obvious path. Yeah, it's a cheap way out, but I got through this, got the goodies, and am back outside to have fun with this again.

Thanks to all and sorry about my rant.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
If I remember correctly the earlier advice, all pylons take damage from acid. Your arrow range with bows is one greater than the pylon's attack range. So you can attack from outside their radius of attack and wear them down. This is time consuming but great for OCD sufferers.

This doesn't work for the regenerating pylons later on in the game.

Update

I forgot the best reason to destroy pylons. They turn into lovely piles of jewels that you can sell. Money being so tight in A4, why pass up a chance.

[ Monday, March 20, 2006 21:15: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Apprentice
Member # 6857
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

If I remember correctly the earlier advice, all pylons take damage from acid. Your arrow range with bows is one greater than the pylon's attack range. So you can attack from outside their radius of attack and wear them down. This is time consuming but great for OCD sufferers.
Each pylon has their weaknesses. I don't remember exactly but one is vulnerable to lightning, one to ice and one to fire. All take dmg from acid. Haste your party and consentrate all you mauling to one pylon. They will regenerate about 100 life at turn. When your mana will end, get back to Fort Remote.
All spells have greater range than the pylons. Killing a pylon with only bows might be impossible because of the high regen and dmg resistance.

[ Monday, March 20, 2006 21:03: Message edited by: avv ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
Edit: Unitentional reply

[ Monday, March 20, 2006 22:12: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.