Rate Avernum 4.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Rate Avernum 4.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #0
As A4 is apparently available for Windows I believe it is time we all listed what we like and dislike about A4. I realise this discussion has already occurred, but one central comprehensive topic may serve this purpose better.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 61 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=nHBccPnHLKFE"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=nHBccPnHLKFE"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #1
Shouldn't this be in the Avernum 4 section?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
I started playing it this morning.

I would be clamoring for a 0 option, but I feel I haven't played enough yet to make such a harsh judgement. So I gave it 1.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Ehh. It's an 8 based on size and technical merit alone, even if it doesn't have a whole lot else going for it.

Now, off to Avernum 4 this topic goes!

Damn it, if only I'd had the foresight to prepare a humourous image for moved topics.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #4
Why can't I vote?
It says I don't have permission.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #5
I can't seem to be able to view the poll window either.

EDIT : I just noticed that the second part of my post could be badly misunderstood, so I deleted it.

[ Thursday, March 02, 2006 23:31: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Huh. Perhaps UBB doesn't like it when polls are moved from one forum to another. Sorry about that.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6428
Profile #7
i can't vote either.it says i don't have permission.
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #8
Too early to tell. It's been a while since I played either Geneforge or Avernum, so the "Avernumforge" mixture didn't bother me much.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Ehh. It's an 8 based on size and technical merit alone, even if it doesn't have a whole lot else going for it.

Now, off to Avernum 4 this topic goes!

Damn it, if only I'd had the foresight to prepare a humourous image for moved topics.

How about this?

IMAGE(http://www.lepelotonfeminin.org/images/Moving_Truck.jpg)

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
I'll give it an 8 because the spell system brought back true area effects and they don't zap friendly party members like in Exile. The game does run too much like Genforge and the singleton games pretty much devolve into shaper, guardian, or agent style of play.

I miss the puzzles and especially the mind ones in Exile where you had to think and not just hack. The money limit (no carrysomething from where it is cheap to expensive) also forces you to prioritize what you buy so you can never max out something for the entire party.

I hope A5 goes back to A1 and 2 in that you have more choice in what you do next instead of this forced linearized plot line. At least in the Eastern Gallery you can choose a path until you are ready to slay Nodicaus.
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #11
I'll give it an 8 too.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
Ach, A4.

There's a lot of hacking, most of it good. There's a plot that follows completely sensible lines but will surprise absolutely no one in the slightest bit at any point, so if predictability bothers you, this game is not for you. There are some old friends still around (although the mages like Solberg kind of freaked me out rather than re-assured me). But it really doesn't look or feel like Avernum.

I give it a 7: if this were a BoA scenario, I'd congratulate the designer on finishing something that was competent and mostly fun and so long, but I'd encourage him to work harder on the finer points next time. The shades were cool, but nothing else in the game developed atmosphere, and hacking gets old after a while: if I'm not inclined to play A3 again, I'm certainly never going to play A4 again.

[ Friday, March 03, 2006 08:09: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #13
I agree with Kelandon's sentiment. If this were a BoA scenario by a newer designer, I would rate it significantly higher. However, because of the experience of the designer and the price tag, I will be a bit more harsh.

The innovative concepts and engine mimic a lot of modern BoA ones and add new ones. For this I congratulate the designer on. I would give a 9.5.

The plot, or absence thereof, is lackluster. The atmosphere to the previous Exile/Avernum games was far superior and in this I found quite lacking. Temperol inconsistencies from A3 are a big minus also. This end sorely needs a lot more effort and in the absence of length (which I feel is more than negated by having to pay $30), I would rate it a 5.0.

My personal preference is to weight plot and atmosphere higher than gameplay (I'll do a 3 to 1 ratio) and give it a ranking of 6.1.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
I'd rate this 6.9 as a BoA scenario. It's E3/A3 minus any element of surprise or uncertainty and with an additional subtraction (heh) for recycling an old plot.

It's not a BoA scenario, though. As much as I like the old Avernum engine, I'm a big fan of the combat mechanics in A4. Combat balance was the best it's been in any Spiderweb game I've played. I had a lot of fun despite the plot.

So I'll call it a 7.9.

—Alorael, who would call it an 8.0 if it weren't so painfully clear that it's A3 underground.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #15
Hm... start with a 7 for a fully functional game, add 2 for incredibly well-balanced and occasionally difficult combat. Subtract 1 for the simplicity of everything that isn't combat. Add .75 for getting to go back to Avernum, minus .25 for some strange quirks (where's Fort Ganrick, and why do herbs look different from every other Avernum?).

So, where am I then? 8.5? Okay, moving right along...

Minus 3 for the engine change, but plus 1.5 for making the transition less painful than it could've been. Minus 1 for the "run back to town to resurrect" concept, and minus 1 for the chitrach/clawbug thing (and for having a plague of chitrachs).

So, that's a 5 so far...

Add 1 for the shades, add .5 for making King Starrus not horrible, and add 1 for finally laying the whole Rentar-Ihrno thing to rest. Add .5 for the Darkside Loyalists, and add .5 for the triumphant return of the Jade Halberd and Demonslayer. (huh, back to 8.5) Minus 2 for losing elevation and boats in one fell swoop. Minus .5 for cave worms' very existence. Add 1 for the experience of dodging pylons (for once, needing to run around enemies instead of direct confrontation was nice). Add .5 for killing Garzahd (again).

Minus 1 for the total lack of replay value, but plus .25 for fixing the chitrachs, even if someone else had to supply the graphics...

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #16
So why exaclty is polling disabled in this forum?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
I have no idea what you're talking about.

—Alorael, who believes that everyone is able to vote now. Purely by coincidence, of course.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6111
Profile #18
i miss old game system, this new looks too much like geneforge,liked old one more.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
It seems people are able to vote now. But they are still not able to view the poll results. :(

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #20
By Raiden:
quote:
i miss old game system, this new looks too much like geneforge,liked old one more.
I find I usually prefer ASCII graphics over mediocre ones. A1-3 graphics had so little detail, it was all up to the imagination. A4 graphics have much more detail, but not enough for realism.

--------------------
Camelot!
Camelot!
It's only a model.
Shh!
- Quest for the Holy Grail
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #21
Poll Results: Rate Avernum 4.  (17 votes.)
Rate Avernum 4.
Choose 1
1 18% (3)

2 12% (2)

3 0% (0)

4 6% (1)

5 6% (1)

6 12% (2)

7 18% (3)

8 24% (4)

9 0% (0)

10 6% (1)

For those who can't understand results...

:P

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Apprentice
Member # 6547
Profile #22
i really hate thas its not avernum, but geneforge. and i also hate that it became very small.. now that theres no outdoors. you can walk to a town in a one zone while in avernum it was lke 200 little zones like that. everything's squished.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #23
7:

Runs smoothly, it's not very slow (on my computer at least), I like the new "zones" somewhat and the combat and movement system are interesting, and refreshing changes.

I don't like some of the graphics (they're not ugly but from Geneforge), though many of the new graphics are nice. The plot was more disappointing, it felt partly recycled and some of it wasn't as convincing as it could have been. But it holds together.

I also miss the puzzles and hidden things. And the towns (or zones) could have had more than 2 floors sometimes.

I would rate all other Spiderweb games a little higher but wouldn't say this one was catastrophic.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #24
Yes! I can finally view the results to my own poll. What a thought.

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 17:13: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------

Pages