Follow or not follow the Shaper's way? -GF3-

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Follow or not follow the Shaper's way? -GF3-
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #0
The question is simple: Rebel or Loyal?
Explain the motivations of your choice.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 24 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=IgJlsiUiVHlA"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=IgJlsiUiVHlA"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #1
I choiced loyal, but I follow a middle-way: for example, I had destroyed the Creator instead of repair it but I always help a servile when I can, always without kill it.

(And I use every canister that I can see!!! :D )

[ Wednesday, January 25, 2006 03:23: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #2
My first time through the game I went all-out loyal.
Though I didn't know about the canisters until later in the game.
The second time through I chose the rebel route just to see what would happen.
Apprentice
Member # 6720
Profile #3
I take the rebel route every time. I just don't seem to have the iron will needed to be a heartless b******* towards people and serviles. :P

--------------------
"I told you, there isn't an 'any key' damn it!"
-----------
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
Apprentice
Member # 6703
Profile #4
I do mostly loyal, except I use full Canisters so those fully loyal wouldn't accept me. In GF 1 & 3 I went Loyal with all Canisters used I ever found. In GF 2 I went Barzite and really loved being one of them. I don't fully believe Shaper rule but I don't believe or approve of the rebel's ways either (they do things at least as bad as the Shapers when you get into their side areas of the games). I personally like the Barzite way and wish they existed in 1 & 3.

Sure, I feel slightly bad keeping the serviles and creations down, but they really are our creations. They're not our children, children can't be re-absorbed back into our bodies and don't keep our essense out of our bodies inside them when created and give it back when dead. I also play with my own personal character belief that the creations were made to act like they have a free will and high intelligence but that's just part of their programming and it doesn't really exist in them. It's like making a current computer program to act as if it wants freedom and is intelligent, but under it there is no real will or life it's just a program.

I also am "The Good Guy" in most every other game I play so I like to follow a slightly different path here.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Cyber_Skaarj:

I take the rebel route every time. I just don't seem to have the iron will needed to be a heartless b******* towards people and serviles. :P
You will become a heartless bastard dictator if you follow the rebel path, eventually.
When playing as a loyalist you atleast get a chance to redeem yourself later in your life, like Khyrryk.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #6
I was an awakened in GF1 and GF2 but was a loyalist in GF3.

--------------------
I hate you all
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Loyalist and sometimes Taker in G1, Awakened or Loyalist in G2. Don't play G3 because there is no middle ground.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 6525
Profile #8
i always go loyal first. its so satisfying to do the will of the council hunting down defenceless serviles (especially those in icy end who run away) :mad:
jk lol
Apprentice
Member # 6703
Profile #9
I really do have more fun going Loyal or Barzite (Barzite in 2 I loved so much, they followed everything I liked, gaining super power and using all the powers while keeping the serviles and creations down and under you still, and I totally loved their ending).

When I say that my character believes that creations were just programmed to act like they can think and they really are not free willed at all, but were made to act that way because of the way they were created, I don't mean I personally think that, that is just what my in game character thinks (my role play excuse for going against them). You could make a servile to think he wants free will and such without him really wanting it, that's just how you programmed him and he has no free will afterall as you put that thought into him yourself. I do realize that this most likely is not the case at all, but again that's just what my characters I play think in the game :D There's more role playing to be had in these games than most others I've ever played, so I get into it a little more.

There can always still be a pay off for whatever path you follow. When I first started as a Barzite in GF 2 I figured I would follow their ways, get to the head of their orginization, and once I take over I could mold the whole thing to my own will. That was my excuse for following the path, but come to find out they were the most loyal to me and really followed everything they said and did, and they were really the only honest ones in the whole game (except for one guy, and you were allowed to kill him for it anyway).

Also, in every game the ones that seem like they're fighting for the rights of the creations and such always are doing bad things themselves. You go deep into their lairs and hidden areas and find that they are doing things twice as bad as the shapers ever did. They all have dirty little secrets and bad things they are doing all while looking like they're just wanting to be free on the surface.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Takers in G2 and Rebels in G3 especially. The Awakened in G2 weren't nearly as bad. It's just the head researcher in the Magus Complex who's evil and crazy. I secretly imagine that I kill him and allow someone with a little more sanity to take over.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

Explain the motivations of your choice.
I voted loyal for GF3, but only because rebels lack training opportunities late in the game and I don't like to be forced to use canisters.

Edit: I like to play all the games following all the possibilities, I don't really have a moral or political preference. The factions are all as bad as each other, really.

[ Saturday, January 28, 2006 02:40: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #12
It seems that the loyalist are more than rebellious...

A question: how many factions are in GF2?

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
In G2, there are four: Loyalists, Awakened, Barzites, and the Takers.

Dikiyoba.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
In Geneforge 2 it's also possible to remain unaligned throughout the game, which is a lot like the Loyalist path but a little harder and with a slightly better ending.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
True, but it technically isn't a faction. There's just no point being a Loyalist-too many disadvantages for too few advantages.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

In G2, there are four: Loyalists, Awakened, Barzites, and the Takers.

Dikiyoba.

Can someone (or you, Dikiyoba) explain the Takers and the Barzites beliefs?

(It seems that the loyalist are winning more than before my last post...)

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #17
I prefer the Rebels. There's something about being cruel to an imaginery species in a computer game that just... makes me feel bad.

I dunno. I'm weak.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #18
Takers (in G2)-Shapers are evil. Serviles and draykes and drakons must gain power, start a war and overthrow the Shapers. Pro-servile opinion.

Barzite-Power is everything. Canisters are great. Control creations. Anti-servile opinion.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

I prefer the Rebels. There's something about being cruel to an imaginery species in a computer game that just... makes me feel bad.

I dunno. I'm weak.

I think like you. Shapers are often cruel (I knew the Litalia's story yesterday), but I don't like the Rebel's method: I respect serviles, dryaks and drakons, but killing a lot of Shaper is useless: LOVE AND PEACE!

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6720
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

I dunno. I'm weak.

Nah, that was exactly the point I was trying to make. I can never make myself choose the converstion options that make me seem like some kind of monster that promotes slavery.

quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

I respect serviles, dryaks and drakons, but killing a lot of Shaper is useless: LOVE AND PEACE!
Someone's been watching too much Trigun ^^;

--------------------
"I told you, there isn't an 'any key' damn it!"
-----------
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #21
I side with SupaNik. Playing the game, I reflect how I would react in this actual situation. "I do not require your permission, servile. I will take what I please." Could you say that to a little hooded person? Do you go for slavery? I go Awakened all the way. They got the diplomacy down and everything. Although in GF2 they're a little bit drastic.

Besides, the Shaper Loyalists are a bunch of stuck-up old farts that make no change whatsoever. Reminds me of the U.S. conservatives, and they make me sick.

The Obeyers get used and abused, and killed in the end.

The Takers are crazy but far more powerful than any other sect.

Oh and, the Barzites are pretty cool, cause they take over if you help them. But they still rag on the serviles and that pisses me off.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #22
It seems that the rebels in GF1 and GF2 are better than the rebels in GF3... In fact I like more the Awanakeds than the Akarii Blaze rebellion. I like drakons, but all have a limit!

And yes, I always watch Trigun when I can :D .
LOVE AND PEACE! :cool:

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6772
Profile #23
G1: Awakened/Taker. (I don't ever kill the G1 Awakened leader, though. I have too much respect for him.) I remember first seeing the serviles and, honestly, I was scared of them, not the other way around. But when I played further and saw some of the bullstink that the Shapers have made, I thanked Ellrhah for this time and support, then joined the Takers to kick some tail. (While getting mine kicked a couple of times...it's hard being a dragon, sometimes.)

G2: Awakened. I don't know about you, but being able to have a spell-flinging servile (Xander) as your best friend kicks tail in the game, especially if you're an Agent. (Oh...the stories that have spun in my head after playing this game...)

G3: Rebel. I love Greta more than I do Alwan. Of course, on canister usage, I'm a heavy user...but not because of the liking of power in my charcter's opinion, it's more to keep Greta's hands off of it and possibly abusing it. (And she thanks me later for it in my mind.)

--------------------
Who am I?
I'm a dragon, not a drayk.
Drayks can't fly, but I can.
I fight with lightning, not fire.
Who am I?
I'm Tesability Black, the Black Thunder Dragon!
Apprentice
Member # 6788
Profile Homepage #24
I'm Awakened all the way, however unfortunate it may be that in GF2 they're weak (no kickbutt creations availble) they have the right idea, diplomacy, don't utterly butcher your enemies (stupid takers...you know in GF3 that made me so mad when I found out I was helping the TAKERS :mad: because not only are they massacring barbarians but they're kookoo :eek: )! However it was interesting about the part with Ghaldring, I always wondered what was behind the door in GF2 ending...also the rebels kill too many people...innocent ones too... and I like the Barzites because of how much power they offer, but you gotta admit they're not nearly as bad as the shapers with the servile issue, they acually let the smart ones live :)

[ Wednesday, February 15, 2006 19:40: Message edited by: Darkwind ]

--------------------
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Pages