Suggestions for G4 creations

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Suggestions for G4 creations
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #0
While reading the suggestions for Geneforge 4, I thought this to be a topic on it's own. Please justify.

These are some of my suggestions, others mentioned them already:

1)Clockwork creations. Like Golems, movin Pylon things and maybe a couple more. They would be vary hard to make creations, inmune to mental spells. Because of the war going on Shapers and Rebels alike are forced to find new alternatives to shaping powerfull creatures with little essence costs. The result is a new cast of Shaper/Mechanics. The player would require huge amounts of Mechanics and Shapings skills. The clockwork creations would use very little essence, but would require some hard to find limited materials.

2)Living tools, Batoons and the like. It would be great if you could shape and breed these things, have you'r little breeding pit. You would need to feed the things and maintain them in some way.

more later...

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #1
I would suggest actually having new creations, unlike this last one. Come on Jeff! The entire game is based on and revolves around the fact that you make creations and you don't even throw in one new one?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #2
Those are both very good ideas. I was hoping Geneforge 3 would allow you to create a golem or at least have one along as a pick-up companion. But no. I concur with Alex that GF3 was very disappointing in the creation department. I can understand Jeff not wanting to fool around with a bunch of new sprites for each game—and I am thankful for the new variety of unanimated foliage and whatnot—but new creations were sorely missed.
Apprentice
Member # 6235
Profile #3
I do like the idea of more creations. But what I would like even more is, for more creation spots. I like to be able to carry around a massive horde. Pump all my skills into intelligence and gather a massive horde. the current number wasnt good enough for me =P. I havnt finished the G3 completely. yet. but from the monsters I had to choose from so far, werent that great. Maybe some kind of demons with wings. =/
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #4
Ok, a few more ideas.

3) This one was also mentioned. In the previous Geneforge series we have seen the "Charged" variety of creations. It would be great if some master shaper or drakon could teach you how to shape the charged creations. Another option is to find some sort of one-time-use-only platform to charge any of you'r creations. (This would require no new graphics.)

4) The "Inferno Artilla" could be available as some sort of easter egg? (Again, no new graphics.)

5) An absolute new "legal" creation for the Shapers (With new graphics and all). Rebels have the huge advantage in creations, specially in the "air" department with the Drakons. Because of this, Shapers are forced to come up with a flying creation to, in a way, counter it. Obviously not as strong or intelligent as the Drakons, this new breed (Something like a dragoon maybe?) would require little essence. They would be weak, dumb but very fast, loyal and easy to control (Like a flying Fyora). With this new creation Shapers would be able to ambush small Drakon groups and overwhelm them.

6) Someone mentioned this idea and I quite liked it. The hauling creation could be a modified Ornk. In all Geneforge series de penalty for carrying items is huge and unlike Avernum series you only have 1 pickup able character with very limited space, especially as the game develops further and you need to carry many charms and infiltrator items. A little hauling creation would make things much easier. This option is available in another game some of you might know, “Escape Velocity”. In that game you have the option of converting cargo space to weapons space. This weapons/cargo choice could be implemented in Geneforge 4 with this hauling creation.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Apprentice
Member # 5735
Profile #5
Yea you should have the people who join you, like Alwan and Greta, be able to equip items and carry them too
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
Pack Ornks would be cute, and tagalongs could be carry item, too.

Boat creations would be preferable to the enlarged version of the Avernum boat in GF3.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #7
how about that boat drayk from the intro to GF1? it would be pretty nifty to have one of those.

in fact, it would be kinda neat to also have clawbugs able to tunnel, but the more you add in to the game, the more insanity it brings to those who have to design it... and i can't say i'm sure the ability to tunnel randomly and/or travel over water/in the air is worth the programming involved.

(i'm sure someone else has mentioned this, but... does anyone else find it weird that the shapers begin the lengthy training process in responsible use of shaper powers etc by transporting you to your school by a creation which is, in and of itself, against said shaping rules?)
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
Where does it say the boat creature was a Dryak? I believe the creature was just another type of creature.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #9
it explicitly says drayk. if you don't own GF1, download the demo. start a new game, and on the second page of text, it tells you the boat you are on is a specially modified drayk.

anyways, i think it might be neat to be able to make mechanically-enhanced creations, as someone else suggested. obviously requiring something to make them, and the ability to make them based on mechanical skill.

as a possible suggestion, it could require a whole lot of the junk/trash item you find all over the place (representing you finding pieces that are actually useful). it would most likely require a forge or some other device to upgrade your creations, and might just be a way to upgrade your creations instead of using karma. the materials needed should be used up permanently, whatever they are, and i think that would reward those who choose to keep a small number of creations instead of lots (because they would have the resources), as well as those who keep their creations for a long time.

as i see it, that would make it a bit more of a benefit for agents and guardians, which would be necessary if you are going to introduce all the new kinds of creations i would like to see (variety rather than increased power).
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Jaid:

i (variety rather than increased power).
Definately. I would like to see more low-power and low-cost creatures introduced, like those rogue worms from the first island in GF3. Perhaps even a class of creature different from magic, fire, or battle creatures.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
wouldn't it be nice to have creations that also appear in avernum? Like Vahnatai, slimes, goblins,alienbeasts, that sort a thing? there is an eyebeast i heard, but more are alway welcome.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #12
Nope, that would not be a good thing.

I think it's annoying that nearly all the creations revolve around being either shooty or hitty. I'd like to see more creative uses. The pyroroamers are a good idea, but should be cheaper and weaker - I'd like to set off a chain of explosions, darn it!

Some sort of pack mule would be excellent, and people have been asking for it since GF1.

I'd also like to be able to make serviles, or something similar. Expensive and mostly useless in terms of raw ability, but they can use equipment. It would also present a great opportunity for some real fun with it's personality. It starts out somewhat confused and very obedient (naturally), but depending on your actions, it will learn and develop a personality and even opinions of it's own. It would also present a bit of a moral dilemma when you want to absorb him. Something like that could be awesome. Damn, now I want to make a scenario along those lines.

And also a fast flying creation that sucks at combat (though possibly has a poison bite), but is useful as a scout.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #13
hmmm.... 3 levels of servile creation = ur-servile?

i wonder...
Apprentice
Member # 6161
Profile #14
I wish the creations can go rogue PERMENANTLY. Think of it, one of your creation ran away in one battle. When you returned to that area, he attack you with fellow rogues! Beside absorption, there can be another option like 'lossen control' so that you can regain the essense cost of the said creation but he becomes neutral, perhaps some days later hostile. This way you can create swarms of rogues by an essense pool! And you must think over some shaper rules like 'only create as much as you can control'. And a rebel quest could be 'sending 30 rogues into Fort X'! Am I the first to think of this??
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
I don't think I like the idea of letting all your creations turning rogue and that way destroy you. It seems like suicide to me.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #16
not to mention being an infinite XP loop.

and, if you create the right critters, infinite money too (battle alphas and betas have this delightful habit of dropping armor when they die).
Apprentice
Member # 6161
Profile #17
Well.. yes.

But you don't get XP killing your own creations, nor do your battle alphas/betas drop things when they get killed.

Making infinit rogues is not immediately suicidal for they may become hostile only after a few days. You'd make the area formidable, though, so that nobody would inresponsively create rogues for fun.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #18
As a variation on that idea, how about if you could spend more essencethan you actually have, but the further you go over the limit, the higher the chance that your creations will go rogue.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

As a variation on that idea, how about if you could spend more essencethan you actually have, but the further you go over the limit, the higher the chance that your creations will go rogue.
Yes!
This seems to be what other shapers [can] do.
When you're on the 2nd island and you see the shaper there you can see the almost-crazed look in the creations' eyes b/c he's at the limit of his control. But he wouldn't be the first shaper to not realize his limit and create one too many creations and end up with a bunch of rogues on his hands.

You ought to be able to do this yourself.
Of course, having done this, you won't be able to cast any spells other than firebolt...
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #20
yes, but the more creations you have, the smaller the difference your personal attack capabilities make anyways. so who cares if all you have is firebolt... you've got better stuff to do then cast attack spells.

of course, on the other hand... i for one would really miss those blessing spells...
Apprentice
Member # 2634
Profile #21
I think the ability to create rogues above and beyond your normal essence pool (and thus beyond your ability to control) is just an ability you don't have as an apprentice. Much like Hoge's ability to pass through a stone wall, or Kyrryc's (how is that spelled?) ability to teleport small distances.

This is one thing I really liked about GF3...you really see new abilities that full Shapers have that set them apart from you, a mere apprentice. Sure you gain a lot of powers and shaping abilites through canisters...but there are more tricks out there you just don't know.

Personally, I think the amount and power of creations you can control should depend on your leadership...after all, high leadership lets you manipulate and control the creations of other shapers. And maybe that's how rogues are created...

Perhaps as long as a creation is directly connected to you (taking up some of your essence pool) it cannot go rogue. So maybe really advanced shapers learn a way to sever this bond with their creation without absorbing it, so the shaper has full use of his essence pool and still has control of the creation. However, this control is now based on his power as a shaper (the leadership skill in game); the greater the number and power of creations to be controled in this way, the higher your leadership needs to be to keep them from going rogue.
Apprentice
Member # 6253
Profile Homepage #22
these are fun thoughts, i did find it really anoying that you can only have i think its....like 10 companions in Genforge 3, and then only if you have the essence to create them all, i usually go through game making a fyora right off, naming it bob (dont know y), and keeping it through the whole game and ocasionally making a secondary brute creation to help in fights, even though i could fully upgrade the fyora by the time the game is over it takes to much essence, by the time i had his *stuff* up half way he was taking up i think like 240 essence!

--------------------
I am a shadow that stalks the night, i am the guy who beat you on Diablo II online
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #23
7) Basilisks! I want basilisks!

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Dunbar:

Personally, I think the amount and power of creations you can control should depend on your leadership...after all, high leadership lets you manipulate and control the creations of other shapers. And maybe that's how rogues are created...

Perhaps as long as a creation is directly connected to you (taking up some of your essence pool) it cannot go rogue. So maybe really advanced shapers learn a way to sever this bond with their creation without absorbing it, so the shaper has full use of his essence pool and still has control of the creation. However, this control is now based on his power as a shaper (the leadership skill in game); the greater the number and power of creations to be controled in this way, the higher your leadership needs to be to keep them from going rogue.

I really like this idea. It's hard to have to decide whether to improve your creations or have enough essence for more than 3 spells. Since creations you have released from your direct connection no longer need to use essence to improve, a balance could be that the more powerful they get, the more leadership that is needed to control them. Also, the more creations you have that are not connected to you the less your leadership affects them.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.

Pages